The Chronicles of Canary Sidings - Eastern Eccentricity in EM

David Waite

Western Thunderer
(Should I put a flickering amber led in there whilst I'm about it?)

That sounds like a great idea seeing you have the fire box door in the open position and NO I would never have guessed what those widgets were for.
David.

2023.07 - GER 73 class #74 - Painting

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
I'm provarocating now...

What I should be doing is getting on with cleaning the loco of grease and grime ready for glueing the boiler fittings on and painting.... But seemingly I don't want the soldering to end...

Thinking about lighting has made me consider headcodes. With conventional modern locos one could consider these at the very end but not early locos.

Unlike modern engines that had 3 lamp irons along the footplate and one on the smokebox. The GER in the 1870s used lamp hangers. With one at the tope of the smokebox and two either side of the smokebox

IMG_20230823_071248707_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230823_071258959_HDR.jpg

Them I re read some articles about the lamp hanging equipment and realised the buffer beam hanger only came into use in 1880 and until then the lamp had been hung off the coupling hook.

Also I had equipped 74 with the left hand lamp hanger on the smokebox which didn't come into use until 1875.... So it was out with the soldering iron again!

IMG_20230824_070854973.jpg

Problem solved but the lesson of the day is: do your research first!

But now it really is time to put this loco in a cleaning bath!

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
Come on... you've got to show the condition it came out of the tank in. Exactly whose livery is the engine going into?

Mike

That's a fair request....

I was surprised by how it came out. The mix was just water with a bit of vikal in it.

IMG_20230826_090947751_HDR.jpg

The brass seems to have tarnished somewhat and the solder lost is sheen. But on the other hand all the grease and muck has gone! And given the fact that I use a grease flux and the poor thing was covered in it I would say that was a success. Weirdly the tarnishing effect highlights where I've got solder overspill so some clean up is now required.

As to livery. I'm following @Rob R s suggestion and putting it in the experimental plum livery that only #74 carried. Hence the burgandys pinks and purples.

A word of warning I dont paint a pristine finish them weather it as convention. Being a Wargames miniature painter first I build up layers of acrylics, over highlight and shade then blend them back together with washes.... Just me being contrary but it does require a pallet of shades to make work.

If you are interested in that process in true blue Peter style here's some I did earlier

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
I use a PCB cleaner in my ultrasonic cleaner, I'm not sure the Viakal would get rid of all the grease.

I do get rid of any excess solder before the first clean, then run it through the US again after I've cleaned up what first has shown up.
I don't think I will use vikal again although it seemed to work I'm not convinced by the after effects.....

The PCB cleaner I have used IPA as a base ingredient so I was going to put some of that in on the second run

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
Yet more cleaning!

First another US bath in water and IPA

Then a good scraping of all of the grime out of the crevices to get rid of the stubborn muck....

Then a wash in flash, then water, then limescale remover then water.... Faffy but something I know gives good results

IMG_20230827_125355232_HDR.jpg
It's now really clean for gluing on the chimney etc