Templot game changer?

BetweenTheTunnels

I have read the 3D printing on here with interest. But most of the references appear to be 4mm or 7mm, understandably. I am not a member of the Templot Forum, but could it be used with 3mm scale - or is it that printing 3mm track work would require additional work at Martin's end? Either way the financial figures that @martin_wynne put forward looks very cost effective, especially for point work.

My initial testbed 3mm layout will only be three or four points and straight track, but I may be keen to try this track system out. £90 for the 3D printer is fine, and if it can get that detail on rail chairs, then it would be suitable to use for other loco and coach detailing parts too. My concern (from my point of view) is the printing of the sleepers, as that appears to need a separate printer, and I doubt I have the space for two! Maybe I some kind sole could be paid a little commission to print them off???

Richie

daifly

Western Thunderer
These questions really belong on the Templot Club forum. Front page
There are a number of very active threads on 3D printing track components. As you’re not currently a member then just sign up. It’s not going to cost you anything and you’ll certainly get the best, relevant info there.
Dave

BetweenTheTunnels

These questions really belong on the Templot Club forum. Front page
There are a number of very active threads on 3D printing track components. As you’re not currently a member then just sign up. It’s not going to cost you anything and you’ll certainly get the best, relevant info there.
Dave
That's fair comment Dave. I guess I have an aversion to keep signing up for things! But you're right, like asking at a Ford Garage for advice on a Vauxhall! :)

I'll do that tomorrow.

martin_wynne

Western Thunderer
could it be used with 3mm scale

hi Ritchie,

Yes. it can be used for ANY gauge or scale. from 2mm to Gauge 3 or more.

However, there are some practical considerations. For example at present it is only for bullhead. Do you have some suitable 3mm/ft bullhead rail? Do you know its dimensions? You would need to enter them in Templot.

To produce satisfactory 3mm/ft chairs you might need a higher-resolution resin printer than the £90 Alkaid which many 4mm/ft modellers are going for.

everything is still experimental, and your input would be very welcome on the Templot Club forum.

martin.

BetweenTheTunnels

hi Ritchie,

Yes. it can be used for ANY gauge or scale. from 2mm to Gauge 3 or more.

However, there are some practical considerations. For example at present it is only for bullhead. Do you have some suitable 3mm/ft bullhead rail? Do you know its dimensions? You would need to enter them in Templot.

To produce satisfactory 3mm/ft chairs you might need a higher-resolution resin printer than the £90 Alkaid which many 4mm/ft modellers are going for.

everything is still experimental, and your input would be very welcome on the Templot Club forum.

martin.

Martin,
Thanks for your reply. Thats interesting, I have been considering an 8K printer for small detail items, so this may be another push. I accept and note your experimental tag, my little shunting yard demo would be my first in 3mm, so equally experimenta!

I have some 3mm rail on its way to me from the Society, so will be able to provide measurements. I have signed up to Templot forum.
Richie