Templot game changer?

John57sharp

Western Thunderer
I have just stumbled on this newly released video demonstrating 3D printed track bases, chairs and so on produced in any gauge directly from Templot. This is surely a game changer? Frankly I’m gobsmacked and unless there‘s a catch, I think this might catch on, big style.

Apologies if this has been covered in other threads, but I haven’t seen it and I did try a search….

John

simond

Western Thunderer
Loads of info on the Templot forum.

Not tried it yet, but I will certainly give it a go at some point.

I’ve got a laser and a 3D printer, so probably will use MDF for the sleepers/timbers.

adrian

Flying Squad
I'm sure Martin will be along at some point to add the true facts, however if I remember correctly this feature has been available in Templot for maybe 18 months to 2 years now. Yes is is a very useful extension to the Templot software and I think Martin has covered most of the tricky issues, if I remember correctly even allowing you to build in gauge widening on sharp curves for example.

I think it's a great development but for me it sort of falls between two hurdles. Many finescale societies are now producing finescale RTR track and points kits , I'm thinking for example 2mmFS easytrack. For the more niche finescale interest it is slightly limited by the restriction on the available chairs to print. In the larger scales 3D printing the track base is not feasible - you'd have to laser cut the base. The reservation I have is with the home hobby maker 3D printing chairs and two separate things to consider.

First is time and effort - for a small shunting plank then yes I can see the benefit of print it yourself. But be realistic anything more than a very short shunting plank will involve weeks and weeks if not months of printing, washing and curing of 3D prints. When Traders have a mass production system so that you can buy 250 chairs for £24 there is no point wasting your time 3D printing them.

Second is durability - home workshop 3D printers are great for producing cosmetic parts but structural items like chairs? The resin I use for fine detail is rather brittle, yes you can get stronger resins but the detailing isn't as good. Personally I'd prefer to use the injection moulded commercial offerings.

AdeMoore

Western Thunderer
John I do subscribe to James channel Bexhill West, he really is a clever chap. Not watched the video for long as I should be sleeping! But from What I’ve seen it looks amazing.

Bob Essex

I have reservations about the plug-in aspect. I have never used them but the 2mm society provides Easitrac chairs with spigots - they are called pegged - to do the same as alternative to plain base chairs located with gauges. They also used to produce Easitrac point bases with the holes to take them. The idea being they were quicker/easier to build with no gauges needed. Several times I read reports of difficulty keeping the gauge correct causing poor running because of the lack of adjustment. These point bases are now no more having been replaced with the new British Finescale 3D kit ones where you just slide the rail in. I personally think you need some kind of adjustment built into the system whatever type that system might be, soldered, glued, 3D printed etc. where separate parts are involved.

Bob

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
But be realistic anything more than a very short shunting plank will involve weeks and weeks if not months of printing, washing and curing of 3D prints. When Traders have a mass production system so that you can buy 250 chairs for £24 there is no point wasting your time 3D printing them.

Second is durability - home workshop 3D printers are great for producing cosmetic parts but structural items like chairs? The resin I use for fine detail is rather brittle, yes you can get stronger resins but the detailing isn't as good. Personally I'd prefer to use the injection moulded commercial offerings.
Injection moulded chairs and ply or timber sleepers allow a quicker track production on large layouts such as Love Lane especially on plain track, having said that the Love Lane crew are using our own 3D prints for special chairs not available in injection moulded form.

Personally I prefer the sleepers to be real tree wood, much more authentic.

Col.

Paul Cram

The original C&L track was plug and play but one end of the sleeper eas a slot to allow for gauge widening. This was changed when Alan Gibson took on the marketing of the track parts.

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Having seen the finished product at Scaleforum, back in September, I was very impressed. To make it really viable it needs the special chairs for diamonds and slips. Before that happens Martin needs to get what he calls "chair heaving " sorted.

At the moment all is on hold, as Martin had a fall on Sunday and was carted off to hospital, and no news on his condition. Hopefully he will be fit enough to return home soon, and be able to resume work on his hobby.

martin_wynne

Western Thunderer
When Traders have a mass production system so that you can buy 250 chairs for £24 there is no point wasting your time 3D printing them.
@adrian

hi adrian,

i think that might be a matter of opinion for some modellers:

cost of Alkaid resin printer = £90

cost of resin for 80 chairs in 7mm/ft = 88p

time to print = 34 minutes

result:

80_7mm_chairs.png

resin is Anycubic resilient ABS-Like water washable.

Anycubic are claiming 3 years outdoor use unpainted without cracking. painted much longer.

I now have chairs 2 years old with no signs of degradation.

p.s. many thanks for all the good wishes,

martin.

Western Thunderer
I must admit I've always been wary of investing in kit that goes out of date by the time the one year guarantee is up. I recently got some backscenes printed on vinyl, stuck onto 1mm foamex and covered with a washable Matt layer. I couldn't afford the kit to do this at home, it's thousands. Likewise with laser cutting and inkjet printing, technology just moves on so quickly. So why invest when you can go down the bureau route?

Noted it only costs £99 for the printer and the online spec says 0.051mm accuracy, but surely there's a catch for that price? My home Epson Inkjet was rubbish compared to the Epson wide format beauty we once had at work. No comparison, but maybe it's not that simple with 3d printing...
Tony

martin_wynne

Western Thunderer
Noted it only costs £99 for the printer and the online spec says 0.051mm accuracy, but surely there's a catch for that price? My home Epson Inkjet was rubbish compared to the Epson wide format beauty we once had at work. No comparison, but maybe it's not that simple with 3d printing...
Tony

Here's the review. It works great for track chairs. It's obviously a home 3D printer, £90 delivered in the UK.

A bit daft to compare it with industrial equipment:

Martin.

polybear

I must admit I've always been wary of investing in kit that goes out of date by the time the one year guarantee is up. I recently got some backscenes printed on vinyl, stuck onto 1mm foamex and covered with a washable Matt layer. I couldn't afford the kit to do this at home, it's thousands. Likewise with laser cutting and inkjet printing, technology just moves on so quickly. So why invest when you can go down the bureau route?

Tony

If it works then does it matter that it's not the latest bells n' whistles jobbie?

Western Thunderer
I think I should have simply said that in this life you only get what you pay for but I'm open to be convinced.

Conversely Templot is excellent and free so thank you Martin. I'll look at the videos tonight.
Tony

Last edited: