Rivermead Central

Western Thunderer
Slow progress, but progress nonetheless, with the Benham’s warehouse building. I have now fitted the window sills, a tricky job I found as getting them exactly centred and level wasn’t easy. I took the view that in their strongly contrasting colour, any misalignment would show dreadfully against the brickwork. I have also applied further weathering to the brickwork and will probably leave the weathering as it is. The building now looks like this:

F4D29358-9656-47CA-93D7-0A460DC09F58.jpeg

C5C26971-C9D0-44F0-9C78-361AD0969FEA.jpeg

The building is pretty clean, but at the period modelled it would not have been an old building. So I think what I have looks appropriate.

Western Thunderer
The minimum a young worker can be legally paid is £5.28 / hour, so £211.20 for a full 40h week. MLW is £10.42 for those aged over 23.

A Dapol or Minerva wagon is about £55 (so about 10 hours) and a brake van is £90 (so about 18 hours) on their website.

I reckon quite a bit cheaper relatively speaking - you'd have had to work 39 hours for the open, and 70 odd for the brake van!

By chance, when looking for something else, on Monday I found this advert for the Walker-Riemsdyk 0-6-0T featured in my post #7 above:

FB02317D-D5F7-45C6-B11F-76418B22DFC9.jpeg

This gives a price and date of introduction for the model, neither of which I previously knew. This is the first W&H advert to show the Walker-Riemsdyk 0 gauge 0-6-0T, but the firm had announced the model a month earlier:

407BCF24-F5DE-4E3B-B6A3-F2B066551AAD.jpeg

Is there an equivalent 0-6-0T sold currently that would make a fair comparison for the relative cost?

Western Thunderer
Having bought a Dapol O gauge Pannier, Jinty and 08 each for around the £150 mark, I think these would be contenders because the Bank of England inflation calculator says £6 in 1951 is £150 now. All three were new but discounted.

Tony

Western Thunderer
Having bought a Dapol O gauge Pannier, Jinty and 08 each for around the £150 mark, I think these would be contenders because the Bank of England inflation calculator says £6 in 1951 is £150 now. All three were new but discounted.

Tony
Thank you. In real terms then, my Walker-Riemsdyk cost less than when it was new and less then buying an equivalent modern-day model. It was a bargain!

Western Thunderer
Let us now go back to the dawn of model railway time and look at a couple of very early wooden wagons.

Prior to 1900 there were no model railways, at least not as we have them today. There were ‘scientific’ brass steam engines that ran round a circle of track and German-made toys that should probably now be thought of as folk art. All lovely things, but not model railways. Then along came Mr Bassett-Lowke. By 1910, his firm was issuing catalogues full of moderately priced scale models that allowed complete and realistic model systems to be assembled. Even the cheapest, tinplate, range of wagons was made up of models that were recognisable representations of real wagons, and, within the limitations of the method of manufacture, the models were visually very accurate. By 1914, the gauge 0 range included nearly 50 different wagons.

I have a very distressed and incomplete copy of the ‘1905-06 season’ scale models catalogue. The smallest size of wooden scale model wagons then offered was 2” gauge. As the catalogue explained, good models could not really be made any smaller:

331CCE80-B93D-428C-A9AD-1B519512AA56.jpeg

Included in the 2” gauge range were ‘timber wagons’, ie. a pair of dumb-buffered, short wheel-base wagons each fitted with a single bolster:

977DF411-3D64-4F4C-9D87-D25BAA7B544E.jpeg

Despite the comments about 2” gauge being the smallest practical and ideal size for models, by 1910 Bassett-Lowke was offering its range of scale model wooden wagons also in gauges 0 and 1. Sometime after that, these were made:

C5A160AA-9197-4E91-A7EC-783F9F8C06B1.jpeg

I can’t date this pair exactly as these models were still in the catalogue in the mid-1920s. The wheel castings and chemically blackened axles suggest they are probably pre-WW1. Although there is no lettering, I’m sure these are representations of LNWR wagons. They are beautifully made. The bolsters swivel and the chains are in two halves with a hook fastener in the middle, to allow loads to be secured.

This is the listing in the spring 1924 catalogue:

1F5DCFD6-429C-4FFC-AD70-2D85FA5239BA.jpeg

The same illustration and wording was used for many years. When these models were first introduced, dumb-buffered single-bolster wagons were in use in vast numbers on the real railways. By 1924, the models were definitely out-of-date. In 1924, I don’t think there were any wagons still in revenue-earning service with dumb buffers — does anyone know when the last ones went?

Western Thunderer
Parts in progress, for the Benham’s warehouse building.

With the basic structure complete, I am now making and fitting various components needed to get the warehouse building finished. Only now am I realising just how many different parts have to be made to create a model building. And this is for a model without details such as drainpipes or any interior. I will look at model buildings differently in future.

The coping is being made from stripwood and fitted to the walls:

B03BBDAB-D621-4E99-852C-67DC16FD6491.jpeg

38B4A1C9-761F-46BE-B944-13F4EBC80C12.jpeg

Since the building was last photographed, I have applied some further weathering. The coping will be weathered to match when it is all in place.

The doors are being prepared for fitting:

A705FA0A-0C2D-43BB-A2E2-A791DE2ADF35.jpeg

The other pair of doors is at the same stage. Assembled with handles (0.7 mm nickel silver wire) but still needing hangers and another coat of blue paint. The track for the doors is brass strip with nickel silver wire fastenings. The other track is not yet made and the one in the photograph still needs another coat of paint. The nickel silver wires fit into holes drilled in the lintel above the doors so the track can be positioned a mm or so off the wall.

While fitting out the building does not require any complex or difficult modelling, precise and repetitive work just takes so much time. I’m pleased with how the building looks however, so I guess it will be worth it in the end.

Western Thunderer
Further titivation. The coping at the south end of the Benham’s warehouse is now secured with moulding pins (in addition to the PVA glue) and the upper surface re-finished with another coat of grey paint:

CA06E256-5432-471A-ADF8-DB46FE5463FE.jpeg

At the north end, I have also fixed the coping that covers the wall that is shared with the Benham’s factory building:

EEAF92E8-A46A-42DA-B0FF-90B0B980D74E.jpeg

The north end of the warehouse fits into the factory building covering the area with the prominent visible screw heads:

0BABF255-D491-40C4-9471-321D0A0652C4.jpeg

I can’t fit the coping over the taller central section of the warehouse front wall until I have fitted the canopy above the loading platform. It makes sense to fit the doors before I fit the canopy. I won’t weather any of the coping until it is all in place.

Doors next, then.

David Waite

Western Thunderer
Hi Martin
The warehouse is coming along very nicely I’m thoroughly enjoying the progress, I particularly like the window sills they look terrific in the brickwork.
David.

Western Thunderer
Hi Martin
The warehouse is coming along very nicely I’m thoroughly enjoying the progress, I particularly like the window sills they look terrific in the brickwork.
David.
Hello, David

Thank you very much!

I’m happy with how it looks so far. Just wasn’t prepared for quite how much work is needed to construct a fairly simple (though quite large) model building.

Western Thunderer
In line with my last update (post #47), I am fitting out the warehouse doors. The hangers have been made out of nickel silver strip bent to shape. I concluded that gluing the hangers to the doors would not by itself provide a strong enough joint, so each hanger has a wire peg soldered into a drilled hole:

E70743E4-B9B1-40E7-994C-CB74913EBE9E.jpeg

The two hangers with the long pegs go in the middle and these pegs are much longer than the thickness of the doors. The projecting pegs (wires) locate in holes drilled in the wall of the warehouse and they will be bent over at the back, ‘inside’ the building, after the doors are glued in place. So the doors definitely won’t drop off!

A14F9198-B5B6-4984-BFCE-5A146A73C1EB.jpeg

C49AFD4D-E999-4EEA-9096-3BFC79131EA3.jpeg

Another coat of blue paint is clearly needed as the red primer is showing through on the hangers. I have made no attempt to model the wheels on which the doors would run. The building is at the back of the layout and the viewing position means the sliding mechanism would not be visible even if it was there.

I now have to do the same thing all over again for the other pair of doors.

Western Thunderer
The track for the right hand pair of doors is now glued in place on the Benham’s warehouse building:

9EE1639B-4336-4C7F-9AB2-C66ADBC01D02.jpeg

I will need to put dabs of matt varnish on the lintel around each of the pegs holding the track in position, to cover up shiny halos of epoxy residue. I’ll also paint on some ‘oil/grease’ along the top of the track.

I’ve test fitted the right hand pair of doors:

E2713750-8140-4D94-A0A1-985D77292546.jpeg

Before I glue the doors permanently in position, I’ll give them a coat of varnish and some light weathering.

Western Thunderer
And then there were two — well, four doors, actually — but two pairs:

8662CD58-E97E-4B5D-BD75-ABE156377D45.jpeg

Both pairs complete, painted and varnished. I’ve put some oil/grease stains on the hangers and a bit of discolouration/rust on the handles. There is also a hint of dust towards the bottom of the doors, but this hardly shows. The doors must have been repainted quite recently. The Benham’s Company is clearly well managed and is looking after its buildings properly.

Western Thunderer
Over the last ten days, limited time for working on Rivermead Central means I haven’t passed any significant milestones. Instead, I have been spending a few hours here and there making/painting some building components. For the Benham’s warehouse building, I have made the track for the left-hand pair of doors, primed it and put on the first coat of blue paint. I have also made a start on the canopy to go over the doors. I got Poppy’s Wood Tech to make the decorative dagger boards (valance) at the same time as they made the doors. For the canopy roof, I’m going to re-use a piece from my stock of material recovered from old, beyond repair, vintage buildings. The piece I have chosen is plywood from a 1950s engine shed, with an appropriate impressed representation of slates. Since I brought it into the house from an unheated shed a few days ago, the plywood has already warped. So I will need to make sure the construction of the canopy is strong enough to prevent the roof warping. I have also been painting components for the ‘BENHAM’S’ roof sign to go on the factory building. The letters for the sign were last seen in my posts #18 and #20. They have now had three coats of bright red paint:

369D7B51-559E-4026-BFF2-F04521DA7B31.jpeg

Western Thunderer
The canopy roof for the Benham’s warehouse is now cut to size and attached to what will be the top part of the front wall of the building:

B9C2646D-63D9-4826-B3A3-A7290079DCCE.jpeg

The top edge of the plywood roof will thus be embedded in the wall. This has the double benefit of being a strong method of attaching the canopy, but also counteracting warping of the canopy roof. The rear face of the rearmost piece of strip wood seen above forms the back of the front wall. A further piece of strip wood — the coping — will sit on top of the assembly shown. Then the whole lot will be secured on top of the existing section of wall by screws passing vertically downwards (and glue).

The impressed slates on the plywood are quite effective, I think:

AAC555FA-E6EE-40BF-873D-B9B539094E12.jpeg

In addition to the satisfactory appearance, re-using impressed slate-pattern plywood from the 1950s will make sure my new building is in keeping with any nearby vintage buildings on the finished layout.

Western Thunderer
I see it is more than two months since I posted anything about rolling stock for Rivermead Central. Time to describe another wagon.

As touched on in my post #45, prior to WWI Bassett-Lowke sold two ranges of 0 gauge wagons: High-quality, expensive, hand-made models in wood and metal such as the single-bolster twins shown previously, and; wagons made of lithographed tinplate. The latter were much cheaper and mass-produced for Bassett-Lowke by the Nuremberg firm of Georges Carette & Cie. Georges Carette, though resident in Germany, was French.

Bassett-Lowke’s supply of German-made goods — locomotives principally from Bing, carriages and wagons from Carette — ceased at the outbreak of WWI. Trading with the enemy was illegal until after the Treaty of Versailles but the relationship with Bing was then quickly re-established. The Carette business however had been closed down by the German authorities during the War, so in 1919 Bassett-Lowke needed to find an alternative source for its mass-produced tinplate rolling stock. In what appears to have been primarily a stop-gap measure, a range of wooden wagons was quickly introduced which used transfers to provide all the detail. Only half a dozen different types were offered initially, including this one:

000930AA-F072-4DF8-81FB-307AB70F4965.jpeg

These wagons were made at Northampton. They look very similar to lithograph-printed tin wagons, though the printed detail on the transfers is less subtle and looks slightly coarse in comparison. For the above wagon, the date of manufacture has been used as the running number (the solebar transfer is not always present). This wagon is fitted with a type of coupling used only briefly just after WWI and which has a hook shape mid-way between the standard Bing and Carette designs. The wooden bodies for these wagons were necessarily hand assembled so they were more expensive than tinplate wagons. Their manufacture though will not have required complex tooling, so they could be brought to market quickly.

This is the relevant page from the spring 1924 catalogue:

03A42E75-2C03-47D2-B86B-6FB75227DCD7.jpeg

Bassett-Lowke reintroduced 0 gauge lithographed tinplate wagons in 1921 using the Carette tooling which Bassett-Lowke had been able to buy and put back into use at Northampton. However, the range of wooden, transfer-decorated wagons continued, lasting until the mid-1930s. Post-grouping versions were introduced after 1923. The transfer decorated wooden wagons allowed Bassett-Lowke to offer moderately priced models of types for which there was relatively low demand. These could not be made in lithographed tinplate, which was only economic for mass production. So, in 0 gauge, no tinplate Southern Railway brake van was made, but a wooden-bodied transfer-decorated model was offered. By the 1920s, sales of Gauge 1 models had declined to a level that meant no lithographed tinplate wagons were being made at all — but the transfer-decorated wooden wagons were there to meet what demand existed. The sales pitch for the wooden wagons was that they were more realistic than equivalent tinplate models. So, in the 1930s, the wooden-bodied range did include 0 gauge open wagons and covered vans in LMS, LNER and GWR livery. Exactly equivalent vehicles (which even had the same running numbers) were offered at lower prices in lithographed tinplate. The wooden bodied SR open wagon and covered van models were not the same as the tinplate models of these types. The wooden SR wagon models, introduced in the 1920s, were for many years the only SR wagons offered, whereas the tinplate SR wagons were a late addition (c. 1932) to the range of tinplate models.

From a collecting perspective, the transfer-decorated wooden wagons are an interesting set of vehicles. Much less common than tinplate wagons from the same period, reflecting the undoubtedly much smaller numbers made. Unfortunately, many of the wooden wagons suffer from poor paint adhesion, to the extent that there may be hardly any paint left. Restoration to original appearance is effectively impossible. On the other hand, the wooden wagons seem to be far less sought after by collectors than tinplate versions, so they can be got for low prices. From a model railway operating perspective, the transfer-decorated wooden wagons look fine in the same train as lithographed tinplate wagons. The wooden wagons also add variety in the form of types not made in tinplate.

I notice it is now 2024. I wish everyone here a Happy New Year. I also wish to thank those who have read my updates about Rivermead Central during 2023 and especially those who have been kind enough to comment or post ‘likes’.

Western Thunderer
Hardly any of the rolling stock I plan to use on Rivermead Central is new, or was new when I bought it. I do have one Bassett-Lowke tinplate brake van from the very end of that company’s 0 gauge range. This van must have been unsold stock when the retail side of the Bassett-Lowke business was closed down in the 1960s. I bought the van, as new, from the shop ‘Steam Age’ (in Abingdon Road, just off Kensington High Street) in about 1980; before I could take it out of its box, I had to cut the brown paper tape that had been used at the factory to fasten the box lid. That is an experience I will surely never have again.

No, most of the rolling stock I have is old, sometimes very old, and often it has been well used by previous owners. It is rare for a newly acquired wagon, coach or locomotive to need absolutely nothing done to it. As a minimum, careful cleaning is usually necessary. Commonly, repairs are required, such as replacing missing parts. I will undertake conservation work, to prevent further deterioration, if appropriate. Restoration too, sometimes. Each item is considered individually before deciding what work should be undertaken.

The first wagon in for repair in 2024 is a mineral wagon:

9E76D7F2-878D-4675-A118-6363F17FA5DF.jpeg

A twelve-ton, wooden bodied, end-door mineral wagon owned by Stephenson Clarke.

It’s an interesting model. The body is plywood and very well made. The hand lettering is exceptionally neat. There is no trade mark or maker’s name, but ‘10/-’ is written on the base. Both the professional-quality construction and it being priced show the wagon was commercially made. In fact, the construction of the brake gear is unmistakable. The wagon was undoubtedly made by A.W.H. Pealling. Although Pealling was still making wagons up to the 1960s, the price of ten shillings is surely too low for after WWII. On the basis of the price, a build date in the late 1930s seems likely. At this period, the London firm of Gresham Model Railways was retailing a range of wagons believed to have been made for it by Pealling. Stephenson & Clarke was included in Gresham’s list of ‘standard open wagons’. The advertised price was 10/6 (three shillings less without brakes, three shillings more with working brakes). Notwithstanding the discrepancy of 6d in the price between the Gresham adverts and my wagon, I would say my wagon was certainly made by Pealling, probably in the late 1930s, and possibly retailed by Gresham.

As acquired (some years ago), my Pealling mineral wagon was very dirty. It had an odd buffer and three matching ones — which were presumably original. Three parts were missing from the brake gear (two brake shoes and one lever pin-rack). So not a major job to get the wagon back into traffic.

I couldn’t find a buffer that matched the three similar ones on the wagon. The buffers were secured by being screwed into holes in the headstocks, so they were easily removed. I have sourced a matching set of four brass buffers, very similar to the type originally present. I will chemically blacken these before I fit them. I will also have to apply a little black paint to the headstocks as the buffer housings of the new buffers are of a very slightly smaller diameter than the housings of the original buffers. I have made replacements for the missing parts of the brake gear — top left, in the photo above. These will be glued in place.

I don’t like altering or replacing original parts in good condition. My Pealling wagon though has wheels that are slightly too fine to run reliably on my track. I am very keen to have a train of mineral wagons for my railway. The wheels are easily changed — the axleguards are each secured by two small screws. Replacing the wheels is a reversible change and the wagon will not be harmed. So, in the circumstances, I will fit different wheels. Bassett-Lowke sold very nice cast iron wagon wheels that were offered to allow upgrading of their own or other manufacturers’ wagons. These will be my first choice replacement wheels, but I will need to see what I have that fits.

AJC

Western Thunderer
Hardly any of the rolling stock I plan to use on Rivermead Central is new, or was new when I bought it. I do have one Bassett-Lowke tinplate brake van from the very end of that company’s 0 gauge range. This van must have been unsold stock when the retail side of the Bassett-Lowke business was closed down in the 1960s. I bought the van, as new, from the shop ‘Steam Age’ (in Abingdon Road, just off Kensington High Street) in about 1980; before I could take it out of its box, I had to cut the brown paper tape that had been used at the factory to fasten the box lid. That is an experience I will surely never have again.

No, most of the rolling stock I have is old, sometimes very old, and often it has been well used by previous owners. It is rare for a newly acquired wagon, coach or locomotive to need absolutely nothing done to it. As a minimum, careful cleaning is usually necessary. Commonly, repairs are required, such as replacing missing parts. I will undertake conservation work, to prevent further deterioration, if appropriate. Restoration too, sometimes. Each item is considered individually before deciding what work should be undertaken.

The first wagon in for repair in 2024 is a mineral wagon:

View attachment 205848

A twelve-ton, wooden bodied, end-door mineral wagon owned by Stephenson Clarke.

It’s an interesting model. The body is plywood and very well made. The hand lettering is exceptionally neat. There is no trade mark or maker’s name, but ‘10/-’ is written on the base. Both the professional-quality construction and it being priced show the wagon was commercially made. In fact, the construction of the brake gear is unmistakable. The wagon was undoubtedly made by A.W.H. Pealling. Although Pealling was still making wagons up to the 1960s, the price of ten shillings is surely too low for after WWII. On the basis of the price, a build date in the late 1930s seems likely. At this period, the London firm of Gresham Model Railways was retailing a range of wagons believed to have been made for it by Pealling. Stephenson & Clarke was included in Gresham’s list of ‘standard open wagons’. The advertised price was 10/6 (three shillings less without brakes, three shillings more with working brakes). Notwithstanding the discrepancy of 6d in the price between the Gresham adverts and my wagon, I would say my wagon was certainly made by Pealling, probably in the late 1930s, and possibly retailed by Gresham.

As acquired (some years ago), my Pealling mineral wagon was very dirty. It had an odd buffer and three matching ones — which were presumably original. Three parts were missing from the brake gear (two brake shoes and one lever pin-rack). So not a major job to get the wagon back into traffic.

I couldn’t find a buffer that matched the three similar ones on the wagon. The buffers were secured by being screwed into holes in the headstocks, so they were easily removed. I have sourced a matching set of four brass buffers, very similar to the type originally present. I will chemically blacken these before I fit them. I will also have to apply a little black paint to the headstocks as the buffer housings of the new buffers are of a very slightly smaller diameter than the housings of the original buffers. I have made replacements for the missing parts of the brake gear — top left, in the photo above. These will be glued in place.

I don’t like altering or replacing original parts in good condition. My Pealling wagon though has wheels that are slightly too fine to run reliably on my track. I am very keen to have a train of mineral wagons for my railway. The wheels are easily changed — the axleguards are each secured by two small screws. Replacing the wheels is a reversible change and the wagon will not be harmed. So, in the circumstances, I will fit different wheels. Bassett-Lowke sold very nice cast iron wagon wheels that were offered to allow upgrading of their own or other manufacturers’ wagons. These will be my first choice replacement wheels, but I will need to see what I have that fits.

For the date, that’s a very fine model of what was then a modern wagon. I’m not very well up on Stephenson Clarke’s liveries, but the black surprises me: grey with red oxide corner plates is what generally gets reproduced by modern models, but how true that was across the board I don’t know. Are the running numbers reproduced on the ends? That was a consistent feature of the real fleet, and relatively unusual in PO terms.

Thank you for sharing the pictures of these wagons, lovely things!

Adam

Western Thunderer
For the date, that’s a very fine model of what was then a modern wagon. I’m not very well up on Stephenson Clarke’s liveries, but the black surprises me: grey with red oxide corner plates is what generally gets reproduced by modern models, but how true that was across the board I don’t know. Are the running numbers reproduced on the ends? That was a consistent feature of the real fleet, and relatively unusual in PO terms.

Thank you for sharing the pictures of these wagons, lovely things!

Adam
Hello, Adam

Thank you for your comments regarding the Stephenson Clarke wagon. It is indeed a very good model, though the running number is not painted on the ends. The black livery surprised me too but I assume it is correct. A.W.H. Pealling had/has an excellent reputation for the quality and accuracy of his models. The above mineral wagon is, unfortunately, the only example of his work I own. It’s not just a good model for the period, it’s an astonishingly good model for the price. Bassett-Lowke’s high quality wooden wagons (see earlier posts) were far more expensive. The Pealling mineral wagons offered without brakes at 7/6 are only a little over twice the price of Bassett-Lowke’s mass-produced tinplate mineral wagon models. Yet the Pealling model is vastly more realistic. I can’t remember exactly what I paid for my Pealling wagon — £20 or £25 I think — but that too seems ridiculously cheap. Even a far from perfect example of Bassett-Lowke’s 1930s tinplate mineral wagon model will likely cost three or four times that price today. The Pealling wagon is both a much better model and much rarer, though perhaps a bit niche in its appeal. Go figure, as they say.

Overseer

Western Thunderer
The black livery surprised me too but I assume it is correct.
It is ages since I looked into Stephenson Clarke wagons but there were plain black wagons operated by Stephenson Clarke. I am pretty sure they were shorter term leased wagons. I will have to find the photographs but I don’t remember the lettering being shaded and I think they had 0 prefixed numbers. Hopefully someone with real knowledge will provide the details.