Re: West Mersea

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Six of us turned out today for the June meeting, work concentrated on the problem point work that has been causing a head ache for some time.
It was an early section of P&C work, laid some years ago, that was not quite in the right position, we have all learnt a lot since and it was decided that although we had ballasted it should be changed for the better before we went to far.
So as you can see in the photo's we have cut out the section and the new point work will be laid at the next meeting.DSCF2623.JPGDSCF2624.JPG
Basically we have to replace a B6 with an A6.

ATB, Col.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
OOPS! never mind Phil, look on the back of your newsletter and it should give the dates for the monthly meets mate.:)
I have to add a bit more while I'm here, as WMR members will by now be aware of the sad passing of Peter Cavalier and I know that not many had met or knew him, but his Family have asked the East Anglian Area Group to be custodians of his S7 layout, materials and rolling stock which includes a couple of loco's I had personaly built.
It has been suggested that we complete Peter's layout for exhibition at S7 and other events, it has also been realised that the size of the layout comes within the 33 sq. ft. of the S7 layout challenge culminating in October 2014.
It would be a great memorial to a great model maker who did not get to realise his dream.
There will be more discussion at the meetings no doubt, the layout, which had only just been started, is at Sudbury for working on was/is to be based on ex LNER/ Eastern region B.R. ( late 40's/early 50's.
Below are some photo's of the layout along with Peter Cavaliers J15 and J68 and visiting loco's ( in for servicing ) LNER F3 and E4.
ATB, Col.
ColinEngines3.jpgColinEngines1.jpgDSCF2630.JPG
Col, I'm behind the times and had next Sunday as club day :(

Buckjumper

Flying Squad
Dunno if you got my message before you went to Sudbury Col - there was no way I could make the drive. Peter C's embryonic layout looks like it has much potential, and it's good to see that it will be completed.

PJH really needs to get the shop front cleared!

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
I read the sad news in the latest newsletter, it's a great shame that he never got to see it finished. I think it's a very fitting tribute and a great idea for the group to finish and exhibit the layout,

ATB Mick

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Dunno if you got my message before you went to Sudbury Col - there was no way I could make the drive. Peter C's embryonic layout looks like it has much potential, and it's good to see that it will be completed.

I read the sad news in the latest newsletter, it's a great shame that he never got to see it finished. I think it's a very fitting tribute and a great idea for the group to finish and exhibit the layout,

ATB Mick
I think if as many people as possible who want to get involved get stuck in it could be finished well before the S7 layout challenge, a year and a half away. But it would also be a good advert for S7 as it is quite portable.
Green diesel era stock could also be run and would not look out of place.

Col.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer

Yep, always look's as if a bombs hit it:rolleyes: under neath all that stuff in the shop is a Singer car engine and an old film editing machine !
With regards to the layout because it is in the groups custody, as it were, it means that who ever feels like a bit of exhibition work then it can be taken out for an airing.:thumbs:

Col.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Today, Wednesday, a small gathering( Three Pete's, Steve, John and me himself :D) and repairs underway to the pointwork in the west side yard of West Mersea.
A layer of foam rubber and two layers of cork stuck down with p.v.a. to make up the thickness as the foam we had was not as thick as the original, template and sleepers fixed in position.
The crossing vee and switch blades have been made with just the closer rails to be cut in, then it will be the rest of the connecting sidings and the point and crossing of the kick back spur off the cattle dock road to sort.

Working Wednesdays (phone Pete first) if anyones interested, , and you want to poison yourself on Peter's coffee :))
Next Monthly meet is Sunday July 29th.

ATB, Col. :)
DSCF2662.JPG

S-Club-7

Western Thunderer
Don't forget to raid the shop for some check-rail chairs! I've still got some gauge-widened ones if needed.

If you can wait until the 29th then I'm hoping to bring along the first samples of 1:6 crossing chairs; that's if I can get the rest of the virtual modelling done and the 3D prints delivered in time!

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Don't forget to raid the shop for some check-rail chairs! I've still got some gauge-widened ones if needed.

If you can wait until the 29th then I'm hoping to bring along the first samples of 1:6 crossing chairs; that's if I can get the rest of the virtual modelling done and the 3D prints delivered in time!

Dave,
I don't think I'll be there before the monthly meet, so it would be great if you do have those chairs ready.:thumbs:

Col.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Col,
...................... What would you prefer: keys fixed to the chairs or loose keys to insert as required?......
Looks superb Dave, I think fixed keys would be preferable, I could see us loosing loose keys !......don't tell Pete he'll be asking for real chair bolts to screw 'em down :))

If you have plans for other angles which are you consideringnext ?

ATB, Col.

S-Club-7

Western Thunderer
Looks superb Dave, I think fixed keys would be preferable, I could see us loosing loose keys !......don't tell Pete he'll be asking for real chair bolts to screw 'em down :))
If you have plans for other angles which are you consideringnext ?
ATB, Col.

Bolts aren't used to screw them down (unless you're GWR); it's more like a wood screw. Don't think Screwfix or B&Q sell the right size though!

The plan is to do everything needed to enable me to regauge Lumpy Sidings to S7 so that will include a 1 in 6 single slip, 1 in 5 and 1 in 4 common crossings, then there's the switch chairs, and the tandem, and the diamond which is about 1 in 2½. Not forgetting Steve's GER chair for Kelvedon. And then there's the ones we need for West Mersea. I did count over 120 different chairs -- these four have taken me 8 months so far so I might be done before I reach 75!