Holderness Drain North - Roundy - Roundy?

micknich2003

Western Thunderer
Col, the loco is either running round or shunting, I need to look up the exact date of the photo and compare it with the various signalling plans. Post 1965 the branch was terminated at Hedon, the next station east, the Withernsea Branch, had closed to passenger traffic in Oct 1964.

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
Hi Mick,

Unfortunately, my memories are those of an 8 to 11 year old, and I had no idea at the time what I was looking at. So I must have seen loads of WD's for example, but didn't know them as such - just dirty black engines. Similarly with DMU's, they were all green turning to blue when I travelled on them, but whether they were Met Cam's or Cravens, I can't recall. I've only worked out that the legendary "Green" engine was probably a Jubilee from talking to the likes of Mick Nich, though that fits in with my rather vague memory of what I saw.
We saw a lot of freight going onto/coming off the docks, interspersed with DMU's on the Withernsea branch. One thing I do remember of that area, were the piles of wood all the way from the footbridge, back to Southcoates Lane bridge. The area between the docks line and the Withernsea branch was full of neat piles of it. I guess these were pit props (?). I can also remember looking off Southcoates Lane bridge back towards the city (i.e. looking West), seeing lots of wagons loaded with said wood.
Moving onto Marfleet, I used to sit on the concrete up and over steps at the West end of the platform near the signal box. This was down a short path from the truncated remains of the level crossing road, which had been replaced by a bridge - pre war I think(?). (I have a great photo of an A5 - 69837 stopped at Marfleet on a passenger, showing 3 small boys (one of whom is a dead ringer for the younger me!) on said steps - unfortunately it must have been taken prior to Dec 1958, when the loco was withdrawn, long before I went near the place!) I do remember occassionally seeing the pick up goods at Marfleet - seem to think the loco was something small like an Ivatt 2-6-0 possibly.
Stopped going by 1965 as the Withernsea branch had closed, and as I ended up at what Mick Nich calls the posh school round the corner from Botanic, there was much more to see over there.
Will follow this thread with great interest as the contributions of others fills in many gaps in my knowledge, and look forward to meeting you somewhere. (I won't be at York as I was at Rochdale's show last weekend.) As Mick Nich would tell you, I am always interested to hear and learn as much about Hull's railways, even though I left there in 1977, and have now lived down here in Derbyshire much longer than I did in Hull.

All the best,

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for this post, although your memories are vague they will still help to paint a picture of the landscape around the period I model. The fact that you can remember piles of wood all over the place will help shape how things will look and adds weight to the fact that this area was refered to as timber stacking grounds. Certainly I've seen pictures of timber pilled high above locos and the J71 I'm building will be the one fitted with a basket type spark arrester, so fitted to work this area. It will be great to meet up at some point and really pick your brains. I think Mick and I will be demonstrating at Hull Show again this year if you get up this way still ?

ATB Mick

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
I've got some drg's for the WD's Richard, I'll have to start drawing out patterns sometime :rolleyes::D

I look forward to seeing this progress Col. I had a good look over one of Tony's Snowhill dub dees at York today and it looks a lovely kit. The castings are top draw, the usual LG high standard.

Hi Mick I do like the look of this layout
John

Cheers John, not a quick project but I'll get there and have a lot of fun along the way :thumbs:

ATB Mick

micknich2003

Western Thunderer
2mm Boring Tool 011.jpg
WD 2-8-0's have been mentioned, here is the cab of my 1/32 scale model. I made a start about 20 years ago, and it has been in the drawer ever since. The rivets look about right to me, and comments please, the reason I mention it, is that I made them with a so called, 4mm scale press.

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
Lovely work Mick, it will be a couple of Snowhill kits for me when the funds permit. As discussed I will finish one with a '77***' number and LNER on the tender and the other with a '90***' number and lion over wheel on the tender. Should make for some discussusion. I'm sure there are thouse that think in 1948 the painting fairy repainted every loco,teak coach and wagon into BR livery :))

ATB Mick

micknich2003

Western Thunderer
Mick, c1960, I recall seeing in the Up Sidings at Selby, an old coach still in either LNER Teak or Brown livery. Certainly, repainting was not carried out over night, according to one of the "RCTS" books, it was the mid '50's before the last ex LNER loco recivied BR livery. Mick.

micknich2003

Western Thunderer
TEXT BOOK TIMBERING.jpg
A c1964 view of the Holderness Drain pointwork, probably a bit late for your model, but I'm sure the "Text Book" timbering will be of interest. Note, also, the original round rodding is still in use. Mick.

daifly

Western Thunderer
I think it looks worse than it really because the heavy photo-cropping is masking the break of slope at the same position - see the LH set of rails. I suspect that there's an element of optical illusion about it.

SimonT

Western Thunderer
There is an earlier photo, taken from the foot bridge, which I think
shows the difference in alignment between the up and down lines. Was it caused by the introduction of the locking bar?

Simon

micknich2003

Western Thunderer
There is an earlier photo, taken from the foot bridge, which I think
shows the difference in alignment between the up and down lines. Was it caused by the introduction of the locking bar?

Simon
The Lock Bar, was there from the day the box opened.

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Mick and I spoke at York, when I offered to sketch out a Templot plan to see how much space a model of Holderness might require. At his request I am attaching the sketch to the thread. It is still very much early on in the development of this plan; I have yet to set the sleepering to interlaced. The tightest spot is the turnout into the B sidings. It is a C8 with a minimum radius of 74" at the moment. If the turnout was made longer, the radius would increase but would require the right hand side of the plan to move right to keep the relationship between the B sidings and the main road. Setting it to C9 increases the minimum radius to 84" but puts the siding very close to the main.

The grid is set at 500mm.

holderness.jpg

Simon

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Simon,

Looks like 14M x 6M... what is the size in olde monie?

Mick,

A single track branch as shown or a double track line not yet completed? I ask because, as shown, working the traffic into /out of the sidings looks a real pain etc..

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Graham,
46 groats by 20 perches :)) .

It is all double track on the main, there is no need to draw the back at this sketch stage.
Simon