7mm Heljan news

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
Thanks,

It's been reworked a bit since that pic. They're the Shawplan frames. Will show some more progress on this when I get round to it over the Christmas break. It's a labour of love project as opposed to a kit that fits together nicely. They are mould release lines on the roof - definitely sand 'em off. I haven't used any MMP parts on this yet, will consider when I get to that stage. At the moment I'm focusing on above platform height. His bogie side frames do look good :)

Cheers

Tom

clarky

Western Thunderer
I can recommend the MMP bogie kit.

It's excellent and it goes together really well too.

Same for the cab interior.

I haven't used the fuel tank kit on any of my three. I just modified the existing ones.

clarky

Western Thunderer
I can remember my grandfather saying just that!

About Diesels being just boxes on wheels.

Funny thing is that I have the same view about todays EMUs and DMUs.

A railway isn't a railway unless it's loco hauled!!

Remember all those glorious summer saturdays with endless peaks and 47s and Westerns!

I must be getting old!

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
...and to think that when diesels came in, Steam enthusiasts despised them as just "boxes on wheels"..... :D
Rather more subtle than that, aren't they...?

Very few are box shaped, infact nearly all the early ones are littered with compound curves, which is why the 47 is a labour of love. I've got a new toothbrush based mini sander on order from Japan that'll make the job easier :D They even do UV activated filler and glue over there. Are we stuck in the 'dark ages'? I'll get my coat now!

Cheers

Tom

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
I can remember my grandfather saying just that!

About Diesels being just boxes on wheels.

Funny thing is that I have the same view about todays EMUs and DMUs.

A railway isn't a railway unless it's loco hauled!!

Remember all those glorious summer saturdays with endless peaks and 47s and Westerns!

I must be getting old!

Loco hauled is fantastic, but you really can't beat an old MK1 based EMU :)

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
I tried some UV-activated car body filler many years ago when I drove an old banger.... I applied the filler one afternoon; then the sky went cloudy, later of course it went dark... that filler never went off in days :shit: & what a mess to scrape off again... :rolleyes:
This one comes with a little UV key ring light though...

Osgood

Western Thunderer
'Tis the same with some of the UV activated 'scratch repair/touch-in' kits, great if the sun is shining, a mess, to be cleared up, if there aint enough UV:rolleyes::D

My dentist uses a UV lamp on some fillers - only takes about 12 seconds for the mix to go off. I don't suppose a UV lamp would be very expensive, would certainly extend the filler season to an all-year-round operation!

:drool:

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
Hi Tom,:)

You are most welcome - as you know I am no stranger to sanding, fettling ad infinitum:D - so I admire what you are doing.

I had a quick look at some photos of the prototype and was surprised to see that the tumblehome wasnt as pronounced as I first thought:confused: It is there though.

I am looking forward to seeing more of your work on the 47 in due course.:thumbs:

Interesting to see that Shawplan have started on more Heljan dress-up parts, shame that they dont declare/advertise such in the Gazette et al. I was lucky enough to get hold of the roof-fan set for the 37....yet they seemed to be a very limited run and my acquisition was more by luck than judgement!:D

The MMP bogie side-frames are very good - yet they will need an engineered solution so as to make them removable for maintenance (ie gearset issue).

Tom, what about import duties etc on goods from Japan?:confused:

Kind regards,

CME:)

Thanks CME,

The 47 parts are a work in progress but will appear in due course. There is a range of 7mm products listed on the Shawplan site: http://www.shawplan.com/extreme_loco7mm.html

Import duties huh, well I guess that's what £s are for but I wouldn't have thought they'd be too much on a £100 order worth of tools which will hopefully make modelling a lot easier. A damn site cheaper than a plane ticket to Japan hehe

Btw, what's the Gazette?

:)

clarky

Western Thunderer
Hi Tom

Cracking job!

I'd love to see your Brush 4 when it's done.

Pre-TOPS Blue works for me.

Have you got a chosen machine in mind?

G

clarky

Western Thunderer
I had six sets of DJH Buffer Beam pipe kits arrive today.

I've been struggling for a while to find some suitable hydraulic piping to use on Peter Clark's DM4 Lifting Jacks.

I thought that the rubber hoses supplied with the DJH Buffer Beam sets was perfect and I asked how I could buy some separately when I ordered the kits.

The lady that I chatted to at DJH said that she would put a roll of it in with my order.

She did even better than that and sent me a supply of two different sizes!

How's that for fantastic customer service??

G

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Jordan,
not quite correct as I found when importing my 3d printer. Duty and VAT are two separate items and only some goods attract duty. So when the printer, some spares and the resin came in, only the resin attracted duty. So the duty was added to the value of the goods, the shipping cost and then the VAT was calculated. And yes it was an ouch the size of a NQLTRT kit. If you have to send it back there is a process by which you can claim back these cost. Don't ask how i know!!

SimonT

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
Hi Tom

Cracking job!

I'd love to see your Brush 4 when it's done.

Pre-TOPS Blue works for me.

Have you got a chosen machine in mind?

G

Hi Clarky,

Not sure of the exact one yet but all my stock is based on late 1990s trains so blue isn't on the cards for the 47. I'm thinking either a 47/8 in IC, a 47/0 in RfD blue roof livery or an EWS example. But to keep your blue longings at bay I'm doing 33 051 in blue as that was how it was back then.

Cheers

Tom