7mm Heljan news

Compton castle

Western Thunderer
Most I've seen on eBay are eBay shops, so not the usual il by three sell two and make a big profit. Like with NRM limited bachmann stuff.

alcazar

Not just Tower...theirs ARE limited editions, it's EVERY model from Bachmann and Heljan.

The idea, apparently, is to move sales..."buy one now or miss out", sort of thing.

But it ALSO leads to disappointment, when the model you are saving for, disappears.

We can't ALL have as many models as we'd like, some of us are on pensions, and still have plenty of outgoings.

clarky

Western Thunderer
I think that it's difficult to see how Dapol could really improve in the Heljan Wesern to be honest.

The Dapol 4mm 52 is obviously more accurate than the Heljan one, but the Heljan 7mm Wessie really is a great piece of kit!

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
I think that it's difficult to see how Dapol could really improve in the Heljan Wesern to be honest.

The Dapol 4mm 52 is obviously more accurate than the Heljan one, but the Heljan 7mm Wessie really is a great piece of kit!

The front end of the Heljan doesn't look quite right to me ........particularly in the FYE versions & I'm not overboard on the separate valances either. If Dapol could do better?...then why not IMO;)

clarky

Western Thunderer
The separate valances certainly need to be lined up properly! - No doubt about that.

The Heljan front looks pretty good to me. Certainly better than the JLRT one.

It's a funny thing with the Westerns that to me they've always loooked different from different angles.

I guess it's down to the complex shape of the cab front

.....................But then again, I'm a fan of the Heljan 47, which looks great to me with a little bit of tweaking.

But as you say - If Dapol can do better.........then why not?

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
The Heljan front looks pretty good to me. Certainly better than the JLRT one.
This is an interesting comment and one which I hope can be expanded. Brian Daniels had HJ and JLTRT examples at Telford this year and there are differences in the area of the headcode location and shape.

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
.....................But then again, I'm a fan of the Heljan 47, which looks great to me with a little bit of tweaking.

I agree, Heljan did something quite clever with the Class 47. The level of their cleverness can only be truly assessed when you start comparing some of the cab dimensions to the real thing; it's really not right at all...!

Steph

clarky

Western Thunderer
I totally agree that some bits of the 47 are not right.

One glaring error is the depth of the cab droplights and the thickness of the "window aperture"

There is far too much bodyside above the drivers side window too (between the window and the cantrail) and the cab windows themselves should be more canted outwards than they are.............they are far too level.

....................But I've left the cab windows as they are and with the front steps on top of the buffer beam painted black and the buffer beam itself fully piped, it starts to look half decent.

I did use MMP kits on the bogies though and MMP cab interiors. They make a huge difference

clarky

Western Thunderer
I totally agree, it looks pretty good to me too.

I'm wondering if its the headboard clips on the Heljan Wessie that are slightly too low rather than the headcode box?

clarky

Western Thunderer
I think that I can live with leaving the clips where they are on the 52 though.

Generally I think that its a superb model.

I'm hoping that it will sell well enough to convince them to do the Warship too.

:)

clarky

Western Thunderer
Hi Tom

That was a step further than I had in mind to be honest, but that rally does look superb!

The cab windows look fantastic!

G