Bulleid Q1 - 33030

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Fred,

that is praise indeed, thank you. If you send me a PM with your address, I'll post a CD with all of the photos when I've finished. Are you at Kettering today or on the footplate driving something 12" to the foot?

regards

Mike

welshwizard

Western Thunderer
Mike, that is very kind, unfortunatly i will not be at Kettering as i am at work today, its a terrible job but someone's got to do it.

28ten

Guv'nor
welshwizard said:
Mike, that is very kind, unfortunatly i will not be at Kettering as i am at work today, its a terrible job but someone's got to do it.
O/T Fred, I read somewhere you were on a special coming to Hereford, is that right?

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi all,

having survived the weekend - the newest addition to the clan was with us for three days and we also had an almost all family get together, it was great to get into the workshop this afternoon.

The body has started to take shape - albeit more akin to a Wellington bomber awaiting it's skin at the moment, but this assembly only took a couple of hours, thanks to the well thought out design and the jig (again, retained like the tender ladder one, from the provious build) that is used to hold everything square from the off.

Attachments

• IMG_1879.JPG
    IMG_1879.JPG
    180.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1880.JPG
    IMG_1880.JPG
    224.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1881.JPG
    IMG_1881.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1882.JPG
    IMG_1882.JPG
    189.3 KB · Views: 33

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob,

thanks, the batteries were well charged, so away I went. Also used the Hold and Fold that I bought at Bolton for the first time. Mind you I have not cleaned off any of the tabs that need to come off - like those on the smokebox front ring.

regards

Mike

T

Tinsnips

Thats looking very good Mike. Quite a clever design. I was looking at a JM models kit for a County last night. At last!, a kit that would appear  to make into a decent  working model  which is more than can be said for a lot of them. :headbang:
I wonder why I bother with the wretched things sometimes...............
rgds
Graham Powell :wave: :thumbs:

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Graham,

I'm enjoying the build as much this time as the first one and a lot is due to the thought that has gone into the construction sequence as much as the quality of the etches and the fit of the parts.

I built a JM Compound a few years ago and enjoyed that as well, basic but buildable - JM will be greatly missed.

I see that Fred is at it again today with 70000 - taking it from Hereford to the WSR, many more trips and he'll be doing it blindfold ;)

regards

Mike

T

Tinsnips

Hi  Mike, Agree with you ,basic perhaps but they certainly go together well and they work which is the main thing. I knew John very well and with the 72xx kit , he delivered the first one here personally. He went to night school and learnt CAD and all the later kits were laid out by computer which is why I think the rivet detail on them is very accurate.
I tried to get one of his compound kits but he told me hadn't got any in  stock and then died a few weeks later. I was given a compound kit from another  maker and what a pile of c..p that is. I've given up on it at the moment while I finish off another piece of etched rubbish.I despair sometimes I really do.
rgds
Graham Powell

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
got the cladding and cab sheeting on today, quite fiddly trying to get the tabs in and the slots over the tabs on the next bulkhead in front, but patience does it resulting in little cleaning up.

Attachments

• IMG_1883.JPG
    IMG_1883.JPG
    275.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1886.JPG
    IMG_1886.JPG
    282.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1889.JPG
    IMG_1889.JPG
    192.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1891.JPG
    IMG_1891.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 37
T

Tinsnips

Hi Mike, Very ingenious how it goes together. I have thought of doing a Bullied in the same way.
( One day.....)
rgds
Graham Powell

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob & Graham,

as requested:

Attachments

• IMG_1892.JPG
    IMG_1892.JPG
    209 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1893.JPG
    IMG_1893.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1894.JPG
    IMG_1894.JPG
    210.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1895.JPG
    IMG_1895.JPG
    229 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1896.JPG
    IMG_1896.JPG
    203.7 KB · Views: 34

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob,

forgot to say that I have a spare jig if you would like it - either made up or fresh from the etch.

regards

Mike

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the offer Mike. I suspect it would be only suitable for the Q1 though? And nice looking as it is, I have a big list of LNER/LMS types to get through before straying further south but I do have an un-rebuilt MN on my desires list (admittedly quite well down it though).

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Nearly there, just the backhead piping to fit + crew and coal - all after the weathering which will go on next week when we have returned from hospital visits in Hampshire.

Attachments

• IMG_1898.JPG
    IMG_1898.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1899.JPG
    IMG_1899.JPG
    193.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1902.JPG
    IMG_1902.JPG
    192.6 KB · Views: 34

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
That's really nice Mike. :thumbs:

Every time I see one I feel myself weakening, and my self-discipline is rubbish at the best of times!

Regards

Richard

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Richard,

many thanks for the comment. It seems very strange that so much effort on Dave Sharp's part has gone into this kit, to produce something that is so beautifully ugly. I love it.

Once the weathering is done, I will be able, at long last to give full attention to creating my shunting plank  and my own models, I am really looking forward to it. Nothing on the scale of Heyside, just something to work on and 'create the scene' - as I see/remember it in the 60s, South of the Thames.

regards

Mike