And Now For Something Completely Different

JimG

Western Thunderer
It seems a shame that all this effort is going into a one-off. Any chance of you using the pieces as patterns for casting?

Simon,

No. :):):)

It's a 4mm scale model and is being built for a club member and I'm really using it to get more experience of basic four axis milling . If I was going to take it further, I know that I would go back and make a whole load of adjustments to what I've done in the light of the experience I've gained and that could take a loooooong time, and I'd rather spend the time on S scale stuff for me. :)

When are we going to see some of your American stuff? :)

Jim.

Western Thunderer
Thanks Jim :thumbs:

It really fasinates me, to make something like that from a whole piece.

Steve :cool:

JimG

Western Thunderer
Brilliant work Jim, and thank you for the step by step photos :thumbs:
I don't have a rats chance of following them (machine wise), but you are providing motivation by the bucket load to go and make stuff...
I have tool (and skill) envy, must go practice :)

And I'm just about to attack the back garden/jungle today and I've no doubt I am going to be having many thoughts about what I could build there following your garden railway exploits. I could be greatly tempted. :)

Jim.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Ooh, yes!!..... :) dribbledribbledribble....
(I've had a sneak preview of some of it!!:p)
More dribbledribbledribble.....

And falling perfectly into stereo type yank enthusiast :D ......called foamers by normal* folk over there.

*by European standards

S

Simon Dunkley

When are we going to see some of your American stuff?
All in good time: I have to mop up all this dribble left behind by Jordan first!
(Also, at the moment all you would see would be the results of some "retail therapy", which is not actually modelling in my book. However, if anyone wants to see a photo of a shelf stacked with a few boxes, let me know!)

S

Simon Dunkley

I'm in the East Midlands: it's on the drier side...

Après moi, le déluge..? ;)

JimG

Western Thunderer
TimC of this parish reminded me recently that I hadn't posted anything of the completed crane. So here are a couple of shots - not very good ones and that's probably the reason I didn't post them. :) But the crane is now installed on the layout it was made for and I haven't got a picture of it in situ.

crane039.jpg

crane040.jpg

The painting was subdued matt, based on the preserved crane it was modelled on. I didn't do any further weathering and left that to its owner.

Jim.