Your DCC system

marsa69

Western Thunderer
I was at the Lincolnshire Life museum last weekend helping dennis-ar operate his work in progress layout 'Lincoln' at the Lincoln Model Railway exhibition. I was only there on the saturday but we both agreed that the 'dynamis' system he is using is pretty pants. Great if you only have a trainset to operate but definitely not man enough for the rigours of an exhibition. Again the whole 'line of sight' issue was a major concern as was the 'range' of the conntroller. John has said he will be switching to the NCE cab system and will only keep the dynamis for testing purposes,

regards,

Mark

S

Simon Dunkley

Wise choice, Jordan.

I initially had the Lenz 100: it was fine enough, but then I had a test drive with a Powercab and sold the Lenz and bought the latter. As far as I can see, the major benefits of DCC are:
Simplification of layout wiring;
Change of mindset from running the layout to driving a train;
Constant track voltage improves pickup;
With the right decoders, high quality running.
Everything else is bells and whistles - literally so in sound equipped locos!

All the extras are just that: extras. Beware of sound: you will either hate it, having shelled out some hard-earned to find this out, or want to fit it to everything, which isn

I also agree with Iain Rice in that I don't want to control the track and signals, preferring localised control for "hand operated" points and a lever frame for the main setup.

It is worth looking at Frog Juicers, which you wire up in place of a switch for live frog points - they automatically switch the polarity of the crossing vee in much the same way as an auto-reverse module. Using these, you can operate as per the prototype and run against points, causing a derailment rather than a short. This actually enhances the operating experience.

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
I bought into the Lenz system many years ago, graduating from the Compact and LH30 to the SET90 a couple of years ago.  I must admit that when I bought the Compact it was a bit of a 'no brainer' as at the time it was the only system that met both the NMRA and NEM DCC 'standards'.  Now we're in a situation where the standards have been normalised to those of the NMRA and more manufacturers seem to want to claim conformance.  Hence, more choice to those of us modelling to a variety of potentially-different standards; US HO, German HO and British 0, in my case.

The LH90 gives me all the features I need, including the use of a control knob and it's pretty easy to use once you get used to a couple of foibles.  Mine is overdue an upgrade to the new firmware as having a larger command stack would be pretty useful.

I also have had regular contact with the LH100 and the Roco Multimaus as a mate of mine has both.  The LH100 certainly has its uses, but I agree it's not particularly intuitive and, infuriatingly, the menu structure remains different to that of the LH90 so I have to be reminded how it works when I use it.  The continual upgrades to the firmware of both hadnsets are gradually improving both functionality, ease of use and commonality of approach.  Thank goodness!  I still acknowledge that Lenz probably need to develop a new platform as they're getting left behind; something with direct keypad entry and a control knob that combines the best features of their current two handsets maybe?

Which is where the Multimaus comes in.  But for one niggle it's a candidate for the ultimate DCC controller when paired with the Lenz LZV100 as it's exceedingly intuitive and has a significant feature set.  I got this set up and working with a new layout and new stock in about 10 minutes without recourse to the manual.  The only bug-bear is that the rotary throttle knob is un-damped and of the centre-off variety.  The latter is particularly non-sensical with respect to DCC.  I hope to be able to get hold of one to pull apart and see if I can change it to a full scale control.  It's also very affordable when bought with the standard Roco booster and power supply; switching to the Lenz units increases the cost and feature set.

Just my two-pennyworth!

Steph

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
Simon Dunkley said:
Using these, you can operate as per the prototype and run against points, causing a derailment rather than a short. This actually enhances the operating experience.
I'd never thought about that benefit of the Frog Juicer, thinking that it was an expensive solution to a problem that doesn't exist, as most point motors incorporate switches that can be used for polarity changing.

I think I might have to incorporate one of those into the new layout, if I can work out a cheaper way of switching the points.

S

Simon Dunkley

Interesting comments, Steph.
Having used both the LH90 and LH100, I would say that all Lenz need to do is put a knob on the LH100, and they would be in about the right place. Or more accurately, would have been a few years ago.

These things are all down to personal preference, though. At the end of the day, the first DCC system I tried was Digitrax but I personally found it too fussy (I can see why it appeals to some, though). I like the ergonomics of the NCE, plus the fact that I can use it one-handed. MRC obviously liked the ergonomics of the Powercab, too, as the Prodigy (sold over here by Gaugemaster) has a similar shape. Unfortunately, the control knob on this is placed such that you need to use two hands, which defeats the object slightly. If I want to go back to using a simple knob-based controller (ooer, missus!) then I can get the NCE Cab04p, which I have used in the Wangrow precursor and found simple to use.

As has been said many times on this thread: the best solution is to try lots of controllers and see what you think.

S

Simon Dunkley

Pugsley said:
I'd never thought about that benefit of the Frog Juicer, thinking that it was an expensive solution to a problem that doesn't exist, as most point motors incorporate switches that can be used for polarity changing.
Ah well, one of the benefits of occasionally being off the wall is that you get to think laterally...
I think I might have to incorporate one of those into the new layout, if I can work out a cheaper way of switching the points.
Not an insurmountable problem to a man of your resources, ingenuity and nous.

28ten

Guv'nor
Over the holiday I got a chance to use a few controllers namely,  the Zimo controller which I really liked, the Lenz which I hated and the NCE which i quite liked.

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
28ten said:
Over the holiday I got a chance to use a few controllers namely,  the Zimo controller which I really liked, the Lenz which I hated and the NCE which i quite liked.

I was not going to try the Zimo one in case I liked it!  Not only is their command gear great, their decoders are also very good; for my money still the best in the business although I have the suspicion that the new ESU LokPilotv4 may give them a good run for their money.
Which Lenz did you use?  If the LH100 I'm not surprised you hate it; I can't say I'm a fan either!

Steph

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
28ten said:
Hmm a bit steep for what I need  :scratch:
Cynric,

Seriously; have a look at the Multimaus.  Roco item number is 10810.  Typing any of those references into your favourite search engine will get you lots of positive comment on this seriously under-rated handset.  You can even download the manual from the Roco website (http://www.roco.cc/produkteshop/uebersicht/detail/cat/139/pr/multimaus-1.html and http://www.roco.cc/fileadmin/downloads/MultimausPDF/pdf1169_en.pdf) I've just found one on a well-known auction 'site in Germany with the booster, power supply etc. for ?78inc P&P!  At that price if you don't like it I'd buy it from you and if you do like it you can buy one of the newer Lenz LZV100/200 units to upgrade the booster with more power and more functions.

Well, even if you don't like that idea I assure you the unit itself is very worthy of consideration...  :thumbs:

The other DCC-related cheap as chips box of tricks that I now wouldn't be without is the SPROG (http://www.sprog-dcc.co.uk/) ; but that's another story!

Steph (DCC+Sound in '0')

dai

Hi guys

I haven't posted on this forum before and have just read through the thread.

I use a Digitrax system which I first started using back in my 4mm days about 10 years ago. Living out in Switzerland, I came across a swiss guy who builds Digitrax/Lenz compatible 2-way radio controllers which he uses for garden layouts http://www.beathis.ch/lgb/shop/funky/funky_e.html. I have 2 handsets and they are great for 7mm layouts where only one or two locos are running at any time. I used the DCS200 with a power manager PM42.

As for decoders, I have always used Zimo and have some MX61N which are old, but have loads of features and allow really slow running.

Evan

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
Simon Dunkley said:
Not an insurmountable problem to a man of your resources, ingenuity and nous.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I think you might have over-estimated me slightly  :D

S

Simon Dunkley

Pugsley said:
Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I think you might have over-estimated me slightly  :D
Now then, none of this faux humilite, else Steve might have a drink or two and rant at you.

Just get yourself away from the mindset of turnout operation = point motors and think machanically, and you will be fine!

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Jordan said:
Absolutely... after all, working a point with your fingers is the original "digital" control... ;D :))

/gets coat...

mmm.....having been persuaded to try electrickery for the point operation on Withercombe  :headbang:, I wish I had stuck to 'The Original digital Control' (one finger) ;D or 'Wire in Tube' or rodding  ...........we learn by our mistakes :scratch:

Phill  :wave:

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Phill Dyson said:
mmm.....having been persuaded to try electrickery for the point operation on Withercombe  :headbang:, I wish I had stuck to 'The Original digital Control' (one finger) ;D or 'Wire in Tube' or rodding  ...........we learn by our mistakes :scratch:

Phill  :wave:

Hi Phill, i thought Ross was sorting your lectrics ?. Blame him  :)) :)) :thumbs:

Rob :wave: