Wildlife in the garden - Spring and what is this bird?

jcm@gwr

We have a huge number of those, at the club, they seem to like Ragwort.
It's illegal to cultivate that plant, because it can be detrimental to cattle if they eat it, but
as the garden is inaccessible to cattle, we allow it to grow, to encourage the caterpillars.

This was about a month ago, and not all are in shot.
1721851236804.jpg

daifly

Western Thunderer
However each plant can produce in excess of 100,000 seeds so as long as every one of the seeds remains within the grounds it's probably OK.

It is a major problem for all livestock and although it is not an offence to have these weeds growing on your land and species such as ragwort have significant conservation benefits it must not be allowed to spread to grazing land or land which is used to produce hay or silage

Dave

jcm@gwr

However each plant can produce in excess of 100,000 seeds so as long as every one of the seeds remains within the grounds it's probably OK.

It is a major problem for all livestock and although it is not an offence to have these weeds growing on your land and species such as ragwort have significant conservation benefits it must not be allowed to spread to grazing land or land which is used to produce hay or silage

Dave

We are some distance from the nearest grazing land, and are surrounded by residential properties.
The plant regrows in the same spot every year, but doesn't normally get a chance to go to seed, as
the caterpillars are quite keen. Also, if any others appear, they are promptly removed, we only allow
the one plant, just for the caterpillars.

Allen M

Western Thunderer
That's much better than my never ending fight against cat poo :( :headbang:
I think my garden is the only one with a bit of bare soil on most of the estate.
Regards
Allen

Lancastrian

Western Thunderer
Allen,

If you can nip into the local zoo, and if they’ll supply you the stuff, large cat (lion, tiger, cheetah) poo is supposed to deter domestic cats. I imagine it would!

I have no idea if it smells worse, whether it actually works, or even if the zoo sells it, but I guess they have some…
I wonder if Woburn could lend me a big cat for the weekend to get rid of the f'in magpies!!!

djparkins

Western Thunderer
Allen,

If you can nip into the local zoo, and if they’ll supply you the stuff, large cat (lion, tiger, cheetah) poo is supposed to deter domestic cats. I imagine it would!

I have no idea if it smells worse, whether it actually works, or even if the zoo sells it, but I guess they have some…

Indeed it does - I talk from experioence as a volunteer zoo keeper in past years. So does their breath! Having a Siberian tiger breath on you from immediately behind the bars is a whole new olfactory experience!

Last edited:

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
I do firmly believe in the principal of live and let live, and try very hard to practice patience and understanding at all times... except when it comes to Wood Pigeons! The wretched creatures are driving me mad!

A good friend complained that their interminable mating calls were waking him up far too early every morning. He then ruefully commented:

"If I had a voice like that, the only thing I could expect to attract is high velocity lead!"

Pete.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
That's much better than my never ending fight against cat poo :( :headbang:

Have you tried one of those ultrasonic scarers? My neighbour on the right has one in the front border, and it seems to work well. We're not short of moggies round these parts, especially the neighbour on the left.

(Ours will go to any lengths to use his own litter tray. He simply will not do his business outside!)

DavidB

Western Thunderer
hmm, so your plan is to replace 50 gram of domestic cat poo with 2kg of tiger poo.?
Soak in a bucket of water then use as a liquid manure. Feeds the plants and frightens the natives. Dig remaining solids in to the veg plot. Win all round!

I do this with cow man yure which is more readily available. No problem with cats, mine or anyone else's.

Last edited: