Wildlife in the garden - Spring and what is this bird?

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Time for a round of "what is this bird?".

I took these poor photos earlier in this past week, difficult because the bird would not play ball.

014.JPG

016.JPG

017.JPG

020.JPG

022.JPG

023.JPG

024.JPG

The bird stayed for about one hour and I have seen it on just one occasion. There were Goldfinches, Greenfinches and Chaffinches on the feeders at the time with several Chaffs feeding on the ground. The bird on the ground did not go to the feeders, happy to look for sunflower seed debris on the ground.

Surprisingly, the bird did not fly off / flock with either the Greenfinches or the Chaffs.

regards, Graham

simond

Western Thunderer
Some member of the local fauna wants to learn some manners…

image.jpg

I doubt the squirrels have done this, my guess is a badger, though a fox certainly could?

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Chris was sure that we had some activity at one of our hog houses over the last few nights so last night she set up her trail camera and managed to catch some footage of a hog taking hay in (which Chris leaves outside the entrance as an indicator of whether there has been visitors) to make a nest in the house.

SimonT

Western Thunderer
I don't know if any of you have heard of an app called Merlin. I heard of it a week ago in the BTO magazine. It was developed by Cornell University and helps to identify birds both visually and aurally and this last feature is fascinating. I knew I had wrens but not that there are four singing in competiton. I now know that there are Goldcrest in the conifer plantation. Yesterday it identified a Eurasian Serin. I haven't seen it but it may be hidden in direct view in all the siskin.
Best of all, it is free!

adrian

Flying Squad
I don't know if any of you have heard of an app called Merlin. I heard of it a week ago in the BTO magazine. It was developed by Cornell University and helps to identify birds both visually and aurally and this last feature is fascinating. I knew I had wrens but not that there are four singing in competiton. I now know that there are Goldcrest in the conifer plantation. Yesterday it identified a Eurasian Serin. I haven't seen it but it may be hidden in direct view in all the siskin.
Best of all, it is free!
I hadn't heard of it until now. Just tried it and seems to work very well and quickly, although the mixture or Blue Tits and Magpies around by us probably wasn't that taxing.

If you do install it make sure you select the Merlin Id by Cornell Uni, which is the completely free app. There seem to be several copycat spin offs with various "in app" purchases.

Big Train James

Western Thunderer
Not really wildlife, and not exactly in my backyard other than figuratively, but it's at least adjacent I think.

2024 eclipse 001.JPG2024 eclipse 002.JPG2024 eclipse 004.JPG

#1 is with manual settings, I think a shorter exposure so less glare. #2 is with auto settings, things have gotten pretty blown out. #3 is with just the tiniest sliver of the sun starting to peak around the trailing edge of the moon. It's amazing how bright it is even despite being such a small percentage exposed.

All shot with a Sony superzoom bridge camera, so in my opinion not bad for a fairly inexpensive camera. The photos were taken right around 3pm this afternoon in Deshler, Ohio.

Normally there is an auditory effect where the birds go silent and the bugs and frogs get loud. But one would be hard pressed to notice any of that since there was a CSX freight train rolling through a tight radius interchange track concurrently, so the flange squeal drowned out all other sounds. :mad: Watch one of Richard's videos from Deshler if you want to hear the soundtrack. :D

Jim

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Normally there is an auditory effect where the birds go silent and the bugs and frogs get loud. But one would be hard pressed to notice any of that since there was a CSX freight train rolling through... Watch one of Richard's videos from Deshler if you want to hear the soundtrack.
All I can hear on Richard's videos are overworked diesels - no tweeting or croaking... I think that feathered friends and rivetters are not high on Richard's list of things to do

Big Train James

Western Thunderer
I was referring to the flange squeal on trains at Deshler transiting the sharp curves between east/west and north/south routes. Richard has captured this more than once in his videos from the same location.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Puss Moth?
Puss moth????? It's a bl$$dy bear!

Fortunately we don't see many round this part of Buckinghamshire but I suspect that's because I throw torn up newspaper out of an upstairs window every day. I started doing that to keep the elephants away and I don't remember ever seeing an elephant here so it must work. Maybe it works on bears as well.

Oh...there's men in white coats just coming up the path...NURSE!!

Brian

Rob R

Western Thunderer
Ahhh!
Forgot Gareth was Stateside and my phone screen isn't the best......
Still, if we have black panthers roaming around why not black bears?