What colour red?

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
A new toy has arrived. Whilst fully appreciating variances in lighting, cameras and monitor colour reproduction, would any of you care to hazard a guess at the shade of red of the locomotive.
Martin
IMG_2159.JPG

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Take a look on RAL, NCS, and BS colour guides, cards, charts, fan decks, and swatches and see if you can find a decent match.
If you search for a known colour e.g. as mentioned above it will offer a selection of close matches.

Jaguar carmine red does not show up, but carmine red does - then click on colour for close matches

Last edited:

PhilH

Western Thunderer
According to the Roundhouse website they were originally supplied in Crimson Lake BS473. However I don't think they were ever supplied lined and if photos are anything to go by (????) it looks a lot brighter than any Roundhouse photos so It could possibly be a repaint.

Precision Paints do what they describe as a Roundhouse touch up colour they call Gulf Red BS473/BS381C:473

Last edited:

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
Some interesting thoughts gentlemen. I think it is a factory painted one with lining added sometime later, and could be crimson lake although in daylight it has a distinct brown element in the mix. I have asked a question of Roundhouse and see what they think. The reason is of course to touch up the odd scratch, however for a secondhand loco it's in pretty good condition aesthetically, one or two minor mechanical tweeks needed. I'll let you all know in due course.
Thanks
Martin

What about taking it, or a part of it, to a car repair paint shop? They are skilled at matching colours, not just to original specs but also to the variations caused by ageing. I believe most now use acrylics but cellulose should also still be available.

Ian Rathbone

Western Thunderer
This is the original Roundhouse colour.

IMG_0938.jpeg

Yours does seem to be a factory finish so Roundhouse would seem to be the place to go, as you have done. Roundhouse paints are stove enamelled so you can cover with any type of paint, but the lining, if hand done, will be enamel.

Car paint suppliers still mix cellulose paint if asked, I get mine from a local supplier.

Ian R

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
I've had a reply from Roundhouse. The model dates from 2011 so it is one of the very first and is in Crimson Lake to shade BS381c:473. Now the BS and Precision Paints to whom I have been referred for a small quantity confusingly call this Gulf Red and to add to the mixing pot the BS also has a shade called Crimson which is similar but obviously enough different from my loco and sort of close to Ian's example. I suspect the paint on mine has faded a bit so perhaps it might be a tad lighter than when new but for the minor touch ups needed I suspect it will do. There's a lot to be said for black.
Martin