4mm Wharfeside, a lifetime's project

Philc

Now I've worked out how to upload videos to YouTube, I'll take some more, but this is it for now.

Britannia 70053 Moray Firth heading towards Wharfeside. I'm not sure whether this would be heading North, South, East or West - I'll find out - but it's one of them!

Last edited:

Dave F.

Western Thunderer
Another item almost finished for Wharfeside, newly painted by the NE Region due to the boundry changes, no longer Midland Region but still a Midland signal box.

signal box.JPG

Painted as per photos of other boxes on the Wharfedale line in the late 50s, just the glazing to fit.
Churchward etched kit, modified in height and details.

Philc

I must say though the videos shows a totally different grass colour than the still photos, Fiona won't be happy....

Sadly, that's the curse of technology. Different cameras will use different algorithms when converting from RAW to JPEG (which happens in-camera most of the time), it's not until you get to more expensive cameras or move away from mobile phone cameras that you can do a lot about this.

Been a while but work goes on on Wharfeside both layout and locos.
View attachment 208911View attachment 208912

I first saw teddy bear fur grass used on Retford, I was shewn how it was done, thanks to John McCrea and with the subsequent article in the MRJ mag we bought a bale of 'Wolf' teddy bear fur - and there it sat for a few years. My other half has been eager to have a go with it on Wharfeside so for the last two weeks Fiona has been shaving and cutting the fur then colouring with the recommended acrylics and me glueing it down with 'No More Nails' glue. This has become more of a priority now due to being railroaded, persuaded into showing the layout at Modelrail Scotland in Glasgow in 2025. It won't be finished but the exhibition manager is quite happy that it runs. A couple of the guys in the group have offered to help with Chas Dougan doing the station building to let me get on with the locos, the two Caprotti Fives are getting there, various 4Fs getting details added and at the moment a DJH 8F is in the paintshops having had extra details added.
I've tried to upload a video of the big WD hauling its first train but it must be too big so if I can remember how to upload to the tube I might be able to set up a link.

Dave.
Well, if there's any assistance I can provide also, Dave, the offer is there.

D.

Dave F.

Western Thunderer
Hi all, just a wee indulgence, found the white metal kit for the signal box cludgie (a Glasgow toilet).

Set up this little scene last night at the club, please excuse the background.
Signal box view.jpg

Compare to the scene at Ben Rhydding, the next station along from what Wharfeside is based on.

Ben Rhydding signal box (blue) cropped.jpg
Seems I'll need to paint the locking room windows white although other photos show blue windows...
Dave.