Weathering coal hoppers

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Brake levers are chunky. They are heavy forgings (I assume). Etchings don't do them justice. Plastic is better but often misses the thickness and the way they reduce in width from the V hanger to the handle. Try lifting one at a heritage railway sometime.

Paul
Hello @hrmspaul
Been there; don’t that. Having been active in preservation for nigh-on 20 years, I’m fully aware of the heft of these things. But I don’t believe that the representation in model form scales well; indeed, I’d much rather use etched, as it allows the shape. It also gives separation between the end of the handle and the solebar… not the mention the lever and it’s guide..

Cheers

Jan

steve50

Western Thunderer
Out of interest, what would I use to replace the chunky brake levers? I've also got to do the handrails/release levers at the end which I was going to use wire for.

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer

steve50

Western Thunderer
I've had a go at adding the handrails on the ends of the wagons. There seemed to be many variations of how they were fitted so I wasn't too bothered about 100% accuracy. I found them really tough to do, especially holding it all in place while the glue was setting, they still need painting and weathering and I'm wondering if it's worth doing or just going with the single handrail as per the model on the left. Looking at the cruel close up I realise how big the tension lock couplers are and I need to remove the mould line on the buffer beams!

285981665_1032429847377841_6910422129002606822_n.jpg

286285246_2125219150993941_5885055777036737195_n.jpg

286312887_413438903826058_2591765017291404975_n.jpg

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
@steve50
Don’t sell yourself short; I think they look really good. I seem to recall Iain Rice (caveat: it may have been someone completely different - Chris Pendleton springs to mind…) who did a ‘study’ of the variety of handrails on hoppers. It might have been in an MRJ…

Anyway, we’ll done.

Cheers

Jan

steve50

Western Thunderer
@steve50
Don’t sell yourself short; I think they look really good. I seem to recall Iain Rice (caveat: it may have been someone completely different - Chris Pendleton springs to mind…) who did a ‘study’ of the variety of handrails on hoppers. It might have been in an MRJ…

Anyway, we’ll done.

Cheers

Jan

Thank you Jan. That sound like an interesting study, there seems so many variations.