Weathered Locos & Stock

paulc

Western Thunderer
A job I’ve really enjoyed and just completed is this Heljan Class 47.
The actual loco was loaned to the SR and used on the Bournemouth Belle.
I used the photographs my client supplied of it in the condition of its time on the SR.View attachment 221384View attachment 221385View attachment 221386View attachment 221387View attachment 221388View attachment 221389View attachment 221390
The shot of the fuel tanks is so convincing. I must try harder , i must try harder .

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
I'm trying to think of a superlative I haven't used! It's all superb and so lifelike, do you use real coal in the tender?
So kind as always Steve.
I do use real coal.
I grade it using various sieves before pouring it in and around the tender (or bunker) then fix it in place using Ballast Bond (Deluxe?).
I do though also paint it once it’s all secure, as I often feel the untouched real coal can look a bit shiny and over scale.
I give it an all over matt black with the airbrush, but deliberately don’t ’catch all’. I then use black oil paint (which carries a dull sheen anyway) combined with a little gunmetal and/or graphite powder and that seems to do the job of making it look more scale - at least I hope it does!

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
I’ve recently completed the weathering on this Minerva RTR ‘Teddy Bear’ Class 14.
A first for me was painting up some of the inside details, applying transfers (Railtec) and weathering the inside of the cab.
The newspaper was produced using a shrunk to scale front page of a ‘69 Mirror tabloid.
The tea caddy is a Modelu product, as is the drivers bag. The coat hung over the bag, I made using tissue paper.
Weathering techniques were all the usualways I produce the work currently.IMG_9359.jpeg
IMG_9362.jpegIMG_9305.jpegIMG_9220.jpegIMG_9219.jpegIMG_9310.jpeg