Weathered diesels.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Thank you for this insight into a North East(?) yard sometime in the 1980s.

I think that this is your layout, please keep posting photos of the model and its development.

regards, Graham

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
And some nice Jordan-esque track to boot:thumbs:
Scruft's Jcn. has track that resembles what can be seen in Lee's photo... Jordan (@Jordan) has been busy.

In our case, the baseboard surface has dipped because of subsidence (6mm MDF due to gravity over the past 20 years).

regards, Graham

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Jordan (@Jordan) has been busy.
Nowt to do with me!!
Nice track in the OP photo - I hope the 6-axle diesels cope ok on the rough track; my SD40 does on most of mine, except the most extreme rise & fall which lifts the outer wheels off the track when the center axle (sorry, centre axle) crests the hump!! If the trucks had sprung or equalised axles it'd be ok, but life is too short....

Blueeighties

Western Thunderer
Scruft's Jcn. has track that resembles what can be seen in Lee's photo... Jordan (@Jordan) has been busy.

In our case, the baseboard surface has dipped because of subsidence (6mm MDF due to gravity over the past 20 years).

regards, Graham
Exactly the same here. I purchased this layout, and never realised it was constructed from mdf. The scenic section is only 10' long, but the trackbed had a good 3/4" drop to it over that length due to warping.
I'll move this to the layout thread and discuss further for anyone that is interested.

Regards

Lee

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
There is that, buy I think even in coal sidings land, a scale dip of 6-8' is a tad too much:confused:

Well, the old road to Jackfield (near Ironbridge) had subsidence so bad it was resurfaced with timber boards to provide a safe(ish) passage for cars. The road still dropped out of sight beyond the bonnet of my old MX-5 on one of the crests.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Heljan class 47 today. This is a full respray and conversion to Scotrail 47/7 704, 'Dunedin'.
This is an impressive result, thank you for sharing.

Which HJ47 7mm model is the most suitable for the conversion? Which parts of the model require alteration or removal?

regards, Graham

Last edited:

Blueeighties

Western Thunderer
This is an impressive result, thank you for sharing.

Which HJ47 is the most suitable for the conversion? Which parts of the model require alteration or removal?

regards, Graham
Cheers. I use the non water tanks battery boxes only underframe version. A kit to modify the tanks, add cab front jumpers, and oil cooler pipes is available from Track 3D railway parts.

Regards

Lee

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Lee,

Sorry to ask again... which HJ 47 7mm model is to be preferred for the conversion?

regards, Graham

Last edited:

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Lee,

Thank you for explaining about the important feature when selecting a model for the conversion. My lack of knowledge of the development of the BT4s means that I did not put 2 and 2 together correctly when reading your previous response.

regards, Graham