V2 4 wheel parcel van1/32 and G3

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Thanks Ian, yes I am cogitating about just how to tackle the holes. I am currently thinking about using the same waste chuck centered on the rotary table. That way I only have to set up once regarding concentricity. But before that I need to finish up the edge of the backside of the hub which I can pop out and just chuck up in a collet.
The bigger challenge is dividing 360 by 16 without a dividing head, my old 10 inch rotary table would have been easier to use but I gave it to my brother in Vancouver, and my little 4 inch one is really basic. I think that perhaps doing set of 8 first the being really careful and resetting half way between 2 holes and doing the second set might be the best.
Michael

JimG

Western Thunderer
The bigger challenge is dividing 360 by 16 without a dividing head, my old 10 inch rotary table would have been easier to use but I gave it to my brother in Vancouver, and my little 4 inch one is really basic. I think that perhaps doing set of 8 first the being really careful and resetting half way between 2 holes and doing the second set might be the best.
Michael

Maybe just draw out the angles on paper with successive halving to get the 22.5 degree angle divisions then draw circles to get the centres of the bolts then place drawing on wheel and centre punch through the drawing onto the wheel. Or get yourself a CNC mill or jig borer.
:)

Jim.

simond

Western Thunderer
Have you got a smart phone?

They have digital level apps, which I have used when drilling in the lathe, just rest the phone on a jaw and turn chuck to obtain desired reading.

there were photos on RMWeb, but they were lost, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Tim Watson

Western Thunderer
It will be interesting to note if the vehicle makes a different sound to conventional metal wheels.

Not sure if I have mentioned it before, but a vicar friend of mine told me that the houses in his parish ((Wolverton) often had paths with triangular wooden sets…

Tim

michael mott

Western Thunderer
It will be interesting to note if the vehicle makes a different sound to conventional metal wheels.

Not sure if I have mentioned it before, but a vicar friend of mine told me that the houses in his parish ((Wolverton) often had paths with triangular wooden sets…

Tim
That is interesting I wonder if they were salvaged from wheels or were just a quirky design?
Michael

simond

Western Thunderer
I’ve heard this too, apparently it was quite common, though I’ve not seen it.

I wonder if these setts were the offcuts, of which there would be plenty, I guess, and good hardwood too. Too good to burn!

David Waite

Western Thunderer
Absolutely wonderful Michael,
When you first started to cut the wooden segments they reminded me
of Pineapple pieces , I love Pineapple my mouth started watering and then you turned them into Pineapple rings
which made it even worse.
David.

simond

Western Thunderer
The wood setts were undoubtedly from scrapped wheels according to Ian (Pusey - S gauge modeller) as he was ministering to retired & active railway workers.

Tim
Thanks Tim, understood, but, assuming* the segments were cut from planks so the grain was radial, there would have been a pair of “half segments” for every segment.

* this is of course a big assumption. I have no idea which way the grain orientation was arranged. It seems most reasonable to believe that they didn’t turn slices of tree into wheels!

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
After finishing up the outside rings the hubs were glued into the center of the wheels, then drilled to take the 00x90 countersunk bolts. I machined the bolts but cheated and purchased the nuts.
View attachment 214029 The front and back of the completed wheels.
View attachment 214030
Michael
Gosh, Michael, they are even better than the ones that I made up. :D
Excellent work as always.

Jon