USATC S100

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
As built, these locomotives had a metal floor, which apparently got quite hot in use! This height of the floor was subsequently raised by the addition of wooden planks to try to overcome the hot floor problem. The kit has the raised floor, but of course I had to lower it to represent the early type.

I've also arranged for the side tanks to be attached to the cab front with some 14ba bolts. This allows for the inevitable adjustments when the time comes to align everything.

20240409_193557.jpg20240409_195327.jpg20240409_195454.jpg20240409_195513.jpg

Apart from a banana shaped cab upright (I'll sort that out later with some judicious tweaking) I'm quite pleased that the main components do appear to line up. Phew!

Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
The firebox etching seemed a bit lacking! I've fabricated a replacement which I'll overlay in due course with rivets etc.
20240416_202244.jpg

I wasn't happy with the appearance of the rear chassis. The angle looked all wrong to me, so I've snipped out the top layer of the chassis etching, and overlayed a replacement strip at what I hope is the correct angle. The original etching underneath provides a bit of strength.
20240416_193026.jpg20240416_194650.jpg20240416_200756.jpg20240416_201917.jpg

Now, I'm after a bit of advice. The kit has a semi-circle cover for the brake handle that intrudes quite prominently into the bunker. I've looked at pictures of the bunkers and cannot see any sign of this cover. Admittedly the pictures I've seen are not that clear! Is this definitely correct, or is there another set up?
20240416_201951.jpg
Thanks
Mike

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Now, I'm after a bit of advice. The kit has a semi-circle cover for the brake handle that intrudes quite prominently into the bunker. I've looked at pictures of the bunkers and cannot see any sign of this cover. Admittedly the pictures I've seen are not that clear! Is this definitely correct, or is there another set up?

If you're going to finish the S100 as a pure USATC version prior to sale to the Southern then no, it shouldn't be there.

It is a Southern addition when they fitted standard vacuum brakes prior to entering into service. In most photos it cannot be seen as the SR also added coal rails to increase the bunker capacity. It will be in the first series of modifications viz. vacuum brakes, coal rail, new cab steps, square cabside windows and a SR style throttle/regulator inter alia.

The modified spectacle plates, resiting of the clack valves from the top of the boiler, Ashford injectors, wooden cab floor, roof ventilator followed in the second round of modifications.

The revised smokebox steps and fall plate were in the third round of modifications.

Quite a complicated history which requires several sources to piece together.

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
I should really be getting on with finishing off the valve gear, but I can't get much enthusiasm at the moment. I've heard nothing further from the proprietor of the kit regarding a replacement backplate and despite an initial response from Precision Scale to my parts enquiry, that has also gone quiet.

I did however summon up some energy to put the cab handrails in place. These appear to be quite thin compared to some, so 4.5mm n/s wire has been used. Needless to say most of the holes for said handrails are either too big and/or in the wrong place. An afternoon on filling and drilling thus took place. I also finished off the bunker extension.
20240421_184218.jpg20240421_184249.jpg

Mike