The Scrap Yard....A study in rust, junk, and decay!

Neville

Western Thunderer
Thanks Col good to hear from you.
I scraped and sanded down the crane area this morning wasn't happy with the colour, to dark, so I have resurfaced it hopefully tomorrow morning will bring a surprise and it will be the colour I want, bit like trying to get 'water" the right colour this is my third attempt.
I cleaned up the track on the BRHRR this afternoon getting it ready for an operating session tomorrow haven't run it for a couple of weeks was getting withdrawal symptoms!
The other night I started on a project that I am looking forward to doing, it's modifying MTH's American Crane.
A nice model but it only comes in three rail which is not hard to change but I wanted it to sit lower and add more weight so while I was in the UK this year I bought some 3mm Brass plate like 4kgs of it and brought it back in the suitcase it's ideal for this modification I have three to do but one first while I feel my way.
This is one of them converted to two rail with Kadees fitted sitting at Picatinny Military BaseDSC00103.JPG needs to sit lower. They are scale I like them but then again I have an obsession for cranes of any description.
Nev.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
….. They are scale I like them but then again I have an obsession for cranes of any description.
Nev.

Don't worry - you're not alone there! (my username is a bit of a giveaway ;)). That MTH one certainly looks well detailed. Thankfully it would look out of place in my chosen scenario so I have an excuse not to seek one out.

A common irritation with these and other plant - in the main I guess due to limitations of the diecasting process - is overly thick cab glazing pillars and recessed glazing. But not impossible to correct if the irritation develops into OCD. Some will of course say life is too short.

Tony

Neville

Western Thunderer
The trouble is if you strive for perfection every time you build or modify anything, not just models, you either never build anything or you never finish anything because in reality nothing is perfect.
I prefer to strive to a level that I am happy with as I am my worst critic. Probably because I have worked by myself for to many years.
Nev.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
The trouble is if you strive for perfection every time you build or modify anything, not just models, you either never build anything or you never finish anything because in reality nothing is perfect.
I prefer to strive to a level that I am happy with as I am my worst critic. Probably because I have worked by myself for to many years.
Nev.

I would have to agree with you. I fell into that trap a few times and think I might even be there again at the moment. I'm slowly honing in on an acceptable (to me) standard but soon I will need to see if even that is achievable (or maybe even 'betterable').

Funny but yesterday whilst I had a few moments free for thought I started scheming out an O-Scale float bridge where the barge floated in a shallow tank of liquid, having a ramp with torsionally flexible base and side girders made of rubber. Such that with an offset load you could replicate the movement achieved by that daring crew in the earlier 'torsional loading' photo. The tank depth could be schemed out so that the barge never keeled over enough to lose a wagon or switcher. When I started pondering whether a more viscous liquid might dampen the movement and create a more realistic slow action, I decided I'd better get back to the task at hand :rolleyes:

But wouldn't it be great to see the alarm in watchers' faces as the barge slowly keeled over!!!:D

Neville

Western Thunderer
I think I would settle for a trolley with decent wheels and place the float on top!
Don't get me wrong about perfection nothing wrong with doing the best you can, what I meant was when it affects your health because you can't be perfect all the time with what you do and won't settle for anything less, and I've seen this, that's when it's dangerous.
Nev.