7mm The next project. (B1)

SteadyRed

Western Thunderer
Ive got a birthday later in the year should the B1 be on my list or should I leave that for a later birthday?

Dave

adrian

Flying Squad
Sounds like a plan & a bit of a wish list
Oh no it's definitely not a wish list - we don't do that here on WT. It's a plan currently being implemented, I have a monthly payment plan with Finney7 which siphons off a little money each payday, so I've just about paid for the V2 and I'll keep it going for the B1. I had a chat with Richard at the Leigh show and he offered to supply the V2 etches in nickel-silver for a small supplement. Given the vast superiority of N/S over brass it was an offer I jumped at - so I'm rather looking forward to it's release.

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
I believe all new kits will be in nickel-silver....

Nope. It makes life hard for many locomotives which were south of the Thames which have lots of shiny brass bits. All those trim pieces would have to be drawn, etched and fitted as separate items, which would be a real PITA, especially for the builder.

So it's a horses for courses thing...

Steph

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Nope. It makes life hard for many locomotives which were south of the Thames which have lots of shiny brass bits. All those trim pieces would have to be drawn, etched and fitted as separate items, which would be a real PITA, especially for the builder.

So it's a horses for courses thing...

Steph
Good point, so a rephrase, were applicable......:thumbs:

unklian

Western Thunderer
Very lovely Mickoo. But why are you worried about the scratches surely the paint has to have something to cling to ? Or maybe you're not going to paint it ?

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Very lovely Mickoo. But why are you worried about the scratches surely the paint has to have something to cling to ? Or maybe you're not going to paint it ?
Six and two threes, bare metal models are more attractive to the eye and punters can see exactly what's under the hood, important if they're thinking of parting with the folding stuff.

Then again, well painted are something to aspire to.

Difficult choice, either way whilst it's bare metal I feel it should be as clean as you can accomplish, just something I try and do.

MD

adrian

Flying Squad
The front tube plate is effective

Next up are all the little details
Tubes in the tube plate? :)) Seriously though that is looking very impressive. So maybe be not individual tubes did you consider half etching the tube plate to give a bit of 3D relief around the tubes? Although I don't know why I'm suggesting it, if/when I get the kit I'd probably be leaving the smoke door shut anyway!

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Swaged tube ends was something I tried a little while back, and PPD struggled with it, so in the end it had to be a plain hole.

There just wasn't enough meat there for the acid not to take away, to leave a representation.

JB.

Len Cattley

Western Thunderer
Thats a great looking kit your making there Mick, I really like the idea of making the tube plate. If I was into LNER I would like to build this kit with an opening smoke-box.

Len

mickoo

Western Thunderer
When I do the next one I'm adding a second tube plate, say 20 mm from the front, or closer if you choose as it'll be a sliding wall inside the boiler.

I already have some thin wall tube, which is 1.20 mm OD / 1.00 mm ID and fits in the holes after a little twizzle with a broach. The real tubes are 2-1/16" which works out pretty close to 1.20 mm, the super heater tubes are 5-3/8" and the tube plate etch is 3.0 mm with cusp removed which is close enough for me. Macc models do a thin wall 3.00 mm tube with a wall thickness of 0.255 mm, Eileens too.

So. solder in from behind liberally and leave a small bit sticking out, then if the over thick wall bothers me I'll just tweak with a broach to thin the front rim, mind a 0.1 mm rim looks pretty decent anyway for the main tubes; but the super heater tubes might need opening out with a drill a bit first.

I already checked both sized holes in preparation and the etch was designed just in case I decided to visit JB in his padded cell :thumbs:

Or, you can just leave the door shut ;)