The need for a mucky floor...

iak63

Western Thunderer
Wagon floors and insides, a subject I seem to have a fascination with. Why is beyond me but if ones stock is going to run unloaded, then what is on the inside is as significant as the outside...

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

These two illustrate what I am driving at. A wee bit more gentle attention is needed to finish them off. At this stage they almost look too woody. However,I hope one can see the direction they are headed. I use the LifeColor Weathered Wood set of acrylics mainly to get these results together with small amounts of Vallejo acrylics. A dash of Flow Improver [Winsor & Newton] helps as it doesn't over thin the paint but allows it to be worked a wee better.

Once the paint dries and one is happy with the results, its time for the washes.

DSC_0095.jpg

At present, the experiments with AK Interactive washes seem successful; mind, I do have more to play with so stay tuned. The washes I am using/experimenting with are:
AK Interactive Dark Wash For Wood Deck AK-301
AK Interactive Wood Weathering Set AK-260

I do agree that they do leave a glaze but once the pigments and such are applied and some gentle matting down that should ease. As for the over-saturation effect on the second image? It is deliberate in that once I start some more work on it, it will ease - lots more crap to add in other words ;)

Next we use the weathering pigments

DSC_0097.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

I think one ends up with a reasonable representation of a worn, cruddy wooden floor on a battered auld open wagon

Sláinte
Iain