Scattergun The (fairly) small American Layout ideas thread.

JasonD

Western Thunderer
Julian, if you're asking about the diesel in the magazine article, it's the Knox & Kane RS36 (slopey bits with sand-fillers on the long-hood end are a good clue, colour scheme clinches it):
Jason

Brian T

Western Thunderer
A couple more track plans this time for point to point operation but in HO scale scale....

This one is for the Georgia Northern railroad the larger of the Pidcock family railroads.

Time period is for 1960's when the end of th eline was a small place called Oak Lawn of which the depot is still standing just when i last looked a google maps.The same goes for Barwick you can still make out which buildings were rail served,as for Pavo, i think one structure still stands and the tracks plans,well there a bit of gess work and Oak Lawn`s is pure fantasy.....
Motive power was an EMD SW8 and a Baldwin DS-4-4-660 along with in later years an a single ex Southern railways FT. (upgraded to F3 spec's)

img009.jpg

Next a pure flight of fantasy,
A fairly modern shortline being run by the Iowa Interstate so lot`s of GP8 ',10's & 11's or even their sole SW1200
And if you back date it a bit you could use their collection of alco's C420/M420 & RS36
Georgia Northern (south end) #2.jpg
Cheers,
Brian.

Northroader

Western Thunderer
Julian, Here’s some more information on the feed mill as requested. It’s on a base of 1/2” ply, with walls and roof of 1/8” ply, which are reinforced by stripwood glued along the corners. There’s an infill across the top of the walls which gives a base support to a strip under the roof ridge and the upper structure walls. Then the whole lot is clad in Slaters plastic sheet for “corrugated iron” cut up for stock sizes. The leanto is finished in Evergreen sheet, which I find is much neater than any planking I can scribe.
E105D2C7-A3A5-44E1-B5BB-2FBD1DED30A4.jpegE105D2C7-A3A5-44E1-B5BB-2FBD1DED30A4.jpeg24AD7894-8B75-436B-958A-43DA2D38A4AC.jpeg052767EF-5993-4DDC-A357-59D6D78B990D.jpeg

Last edited:

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Thank you Bob and Tim for the info on the feed mills, some possibilities for the shunting plank.

Jason, I like that.

Brian, I do like the scheme for the Georgia Northern….very simple but some fun as well. Gives me some ideas for my shunting plank.

Cheers

Julian

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
Julian, Here’s some more information on the feed mill as requested. It’s on a base of 1/2” ply, with walls and roof of 1/8” ply, which are reinforced by stripwood glued along the corners. There’s an infill across the top of the walls which gives a base support to a strip under the roof ridge and the upper structure walls. Then the whole lot is clad in Slaters plastic sheet for “corrugated iron” cut up for stock sizes. The leanto is finished in Evergreen sheet, which I find is much neater than any planking I can scribe.
View attachment 170627View attachment 170627View attachment 170630View attachment 170628
Superb building, full of character and evoking the USA in the mind of this Briton!

Are there any pics of the layout?

Cheers,
Mark

Northroader

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the plug, Jordan, but.. do you really think it’s a good idea? He might pick up bad habits, like beeps and shorties and suchlike.
Stick with Tim’s suggestion of “Port Rowan”, now that is a nice job.

Last edited:

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Hi Tim, I have just looked at Port Rowan, wow this is certainly a lovely layout and in 1/64th scale. I really was taken by the corn (maize) field. Thank you for sharing this blog…something I am always in favour of.

And that is certainly not an unwelcomed suggestion….steam yes!

On a wider base does anyone remember the US 1/64th layout that appeared at the S Scale 50th (?) exhibition in conjunction with the 2 mm society back in 1996 (?). Sorry about question marks but I think I got the date and anniversary right. Never did see any more pictures but it was based on a line in Vermont running to a paper mill.

Cheers
Julian

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
I'm afraid that my little diorama 'Enderlin MN' has progressed not one jot beyond what I posted here, nearly a year ago. ‍:oops:
I haven't made much progress on my main layout in that time, either, to be honest.
What is this thing called "spare time"..??!!

Northroader

Western Thunderer
Back in March, I had emergency surgery, and the upshot was we’re downsizing houses, stuff was packed away or disposed of, but never fear, the shorty will return, be afraid, be very afraid…. (It won’t even have a siding for an industry! )

Last edited:

alastairq

Stewartstown Railroad? Our Equipment -

Long long ago, when computers were run by string, that 'other place' [I think?] ran a thread by a gent who had a lot to do with the 50's and 60's model makers.....but whose name eludes my memory banks for the present...where he based an embryo layout on the stewartstown Railroad.

His bag was mainly renovating old brass US steam...of the tiny variety.

His track plan I saved long ago, along with all the photos in his articles, or from elsewhere, which may have also gone into the mists of ether-time.

1692526446433.jpeg

His last article I can recall, was the construction of the loco shed.
Small steam, and old stock prevailed.