The Chronicles of Canary Sidings - Eastern Eccentricity in EM

Rob R

Western Thunderer
According to Tatlow LNER Wagons Vol 1.
GER Diag 17 5 plank open
1923 11100
1930 7000
1938 2089

On the basis of the above Adam could easily get away with a couple at least...

R

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Collecting and Collections - not necessarily a problem in itself, but:

when this extends to collecting various forms of storage media which might be useful for housing said collected stuff and also stuff-yet-to-be-collected prior to display / use, well now that’s another matter altogether….

Thinking back to the subject of your opening post, I take it you have this on the Canary Sidings bookshelf?
IMG_0425.jpeg

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
Interest depends whether any of the wagon designs you have made it to the late ‘30s…

Adam
@Rob R beat me to it yes these are very suitable for that period.

Due to a commonality between GER wagon types (thank you Mr Holden) I've been able to design this wagon kit to make a variety of types from different combinations of the same parts. So it should build you

Two types of diagram 17 (different door bang types)
Diagram 17R (five plank rebuilt as 7 plank)
Diagram 48 (7 plank)

And with a little more improvisation you can also get a
Diagram 54 (4 plank fitted 'fish truck' but used for everything)
Diagram 31(7 plank loco coal)

They aren't the easiest things to build (ask Spooner & Fry and @Marc Dobson has at least the diagram 17 in his excellent 3dp range. But if you do want one let me know and when I get a chance to make some more I will order some extras for you

simond

Western Thunderer

when this extends to collecting various forms of storage media which might be useful for housing said collected stuff and also stuff-yet-to-be-collected prior to display / use, well now that’s another matter altogether….

Thinking back to the subject of your opening post, I take it you have this on the Canary Sidings bookshelf?
View attachment 217441
Of all the possible features that could typify a railway in East Anglia, my first though would probably not be a tunnelmouth…

Annie

I've a variety of GER wagon types available as kits and a few etched sheets for scratch aud loco building. Also some proper GER numberplate etches as seen in this thread.

As i said I would doubt anyone would want any of that....
That sounds absolutely wonderful to me.

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer

View attachment 217441
Yes I do have it in the Canary Sidings library. Excellent read isn't it? You've reminded me how fond I am of the Sharpie singles that typified the EUR line and how I really should get 74 up and running soon.

Relating back to the earlier post about etches I have designed myself some scratch aud parts to help me construct more of the type.... Which knowing my penchant for building things in batches means I will probably end up with 4 at least..... I must be mad!

One book I don't have and would be really useful for this is the 'odin project' book anyone know where I could get one ?

Suffolk Dave

Western Thunderer
Hello George.

I've not come across the idea of using DAS clay for ballasting before. I rather like the effect you created with it and I'm now wondering how you achieved it.

Did you just work small pieces in between the sleepers or did you roll it out to a desired thickness first? Can you shed any more light on your technique?

Thank you

Dave

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Yes I do have it in the Canary Sidings library. Excellent read isn't it? You've reminded me how fond I am of the Sharpie singles that typified the EUR line and how I really should get 74 up and running soon.
…..
I started reading with trepidation, as the absorption of this type of information is usually a tedious process, but I was quite amazed at how much I enjoyed the experience - a very talented author.

The way the region’s railway network came about is quite a fascinating story and the EUR part of it so well told here that I looked to see what else the author had written, but I could only find ‘Ships and Shipyards of Ipswich 1700-1970’.

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
I started reading with trepidation, as the absorption of this type of information is usually a tedious process, but I was quite amazed at how much I enjoyed the experience - a very talented author.

The way the region’s railway network came about is quite a fascinating story and the EUR part of it so well told here that I looked to see what else the author had written, but I could only find ‘Ships and Shipyards of Ipswich 1700-1970’.
There are certainly some books that just read so well that I've re read multiple times purely for how well the author writes.

Prime examples include bill Hatcher's book on the Harton Railway, Nicholas Comforts book on the mid Suffolk. And anything by Iain Rice.

It's amazing that I will re-read a well written book on a dry subject but never fail to finish a badly written tome on something fascinating...

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
Hello George.

I've not come across the idea of using DAS clay for ballasting before. I rather like the effect you created with it and I'm now wondering how you achieved it.

Did you just work small pieces in between the sleepers or did you roll it out to a desired thickness first? Can you shed any more light on your technique?

Thank you

Dave
I certainly can. Watch this space should have some complete in the next few days

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
The GER wagon range is still expanding. Next up is the Dia7 cattle van and the 7plk loco coal/merchandise wagons there will about 8 variants due to the different ends, door hinges and diagonal strapping.
Marc
Diagram 7 cattle wagons will be very handy you've just saved me designing one for myself!

Are we talking 15ft or 17ft 7 plank wagons?

If you ever need any help from the GERS let me know there's a group of us who aim to give support to modellers and model manufacturers

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
So for @Suffolk Dave s Benefit but for also anyone who be interested this is how Im doing the ballasting on Skeetsmere. This is new to me so I'm sort of making it up as I go along

IMG_20240613_061011441.jpg
I start by coating the surface in PVA

IMG_20240613_061415423.jpg
Then I tease out lumps of clay flatten them out and stick them down
IMG_20240613_061435830.jpg
More PVA is dabbed on top (not much required)

IMG_20240613_061511247.jpg
Then smooth it all out using a tool or finger or combination of both

IMG_20240613_061643765.jpg
The texture is put in by just stippling with a stiff paintbrush.

IMG_20240613_063603777.jpg
The bits in-between the tracks are fine the same way

IMG_20240613_064318180.jpg
Just with smaller bits and more clean-up.

IMG_20240613_064646518.jpg
Then stippled in the same way.

I will cover painting and detailing in another post

Suffolk Dave

Western Thunderer
Thanks for sharing your technique with the DAS clay, George. That's much appreciated.

I have a colliery layout to 'ballast' and looking at some prototype photos the stuff between the sleepers, and often covering the sleepers, looks like smooth mud, lacking the granular texture of regular ballast. I shall explore using DAS clay but I best get the tracked wired first!

Dave

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
I start by coating the surface in PVA
George please could you confirm, the PVA is still wet when you lay on the modelling clay? I've made a test piece with DAS on wet PVA on plywood, the clay shaped and carved and stippled, and quite surprised myself with the results. I've read about DAS so many times but never got round to trying it.

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
George please could you confirm, the PVA is still wet when you lay on the modelling clay? I've made a test piece with DAS on wet PVA on plywood, the clay shaped and carved and stippled, and quite surprised myself with the results. I've read about DAS so many times but never got round to trying it.
Yes the PVA is wet when applied.... I read about das used on buildings and the use of PVA to help them stick.... It only recently dawned on me that the PVA was meant to be wet and not dried out as I had been doing... Whoops!