The Chronicles of Canary Sidings - Eastern Eccentricity in EM

AJC

Western Thunderer
Due to a stressful period at work and taking care of my other half who has been very unwell this week any modelling output has been rather pitiful I'm afraid.... It's taken me all week to timber up the point templates for skeetsmere
View attachment 202291

That's not an inconsiderable amount of labour there. Don't knock it. We've had COVID in the house again this week, and a lot on otherwise: such is life.

Adam

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
So trackwork is getting going in earnest

IMG_20231127_070833533.jpg
IMG_20231127_070842274.jpg
IMG_20231127_070824888_HDR.jpg

I appreciate there is nothing new here for most people but for me this is the first time I've used this method of making track and it's a breeze in comparison....

Before this on the last layout I was using peco track pins as rivets and knocking them into ply sleepers then soldering steel rail in place.... A complete disaster ensued

AJC

Western Thunderer
It is a gratifyingly quick way of doing things - especially if you're working with a period or type of rail operation where the chairs or bases are more or less invisible and you can solder the rail straight to the sleeper. A real boon for the industrial bits of my layout, and yours, too. What's the van if you don't mind me asking?

Adam

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
It is a gratifyingly quick way of doing things - especially if you're working with a period or type of rail operation where the chairs or bases are more or less invisible and you can solder the rail straight to the sleeper. A real boon for the industrial bits of my layout, and yours, too. What's the van if you don't mind me asking?

Adam
The van is an 1881 Great Eastern design by Bromley/Gilles built for the opening of the GE/GN joint. Built but not finished from a Peter K etch

P1050310 (1).jpeg
There is a preserved one at mangaps

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
IMG_20231129_085719253.jpg
Well that's the first turnout for skeetsmere done!

Yeah it looks a bit ropey and the tie bar is deffo on the squonk but it works so I'm leaving it alone

This point will eventually be the switch between rear sidings and the cross over into the platform so won't be seen close up ever so as it works I will live with it.

IMG_20231129_085735730.jpg
IMG_20231129_085729055.jpg
I've been working in EM for nearly two years now and this is the first turnout I've built! But very happy to have done so.

Next job is to build the other 6 and then the double slip! And I make no promises not to post more progress of track making

David Waite

Western Thunderer
It’s hard to see in the photos but did you file the stock rails to allow the ends of the blades to rest into a little or joggle
the stock rails?
David.

David Waite

Western Thunderer
Thank you thats very neat
I have also filed the stock rails on the few points I made for my layout but I’m not sure if a joggle would be better or easier to do, I must experiment.
David.

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Thank you thats very neat
I have also filed the stock rails on the few points I made for my layout but I’m not sure if a joggle would be better or easier to do, I must experiment.
David.
Hello David,
Joggles can be painful; getting them matched opposite each other is 'interesting'. I tried to do it on Watkins Wharf (P4), but it wasn't a great success. That doesn't man you'll have the same experience, of course. T

Cheers

Jan

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
I gave up trying to joggle the rails after my first 00 point over 60 years ago. Since then I have filed the stock rail in 00, 0fs and 0cs (SM32).
View attachment 202897

0 gauge fine scale just awaiting blades.

May be of interest

Regards
Allen
I'm glad I'm not the only one! I looked at joggles on skeetsmere MK2 and immediately thought: "not for me"

I think the saving grace of skeetsmere MK3 (this layout) is it will be up on a shelf and at eye level so you will only really see the rails side on. Although you won't as they will be buried up to the railhead in ash ballast.

So every decision I'm making as far as track is based on three principles. Robust, reliable and repeatable. Aesthetics really doesn't come into it much

simond

Western Thunderer
I have a joggling tool. It’s a bit of brass about 1.5mm thick, 25mm wide and say 75mm long. There’s a slot cut in the middle of one end, about 5mm wide, and a little deeper than the rail.

place rail in slot, close in smooth-jaw vice, joggles rail. All the same.

Be careful to get the rail the right way up, one rail will be head up, one will be head down so the goggles don’t both go the same way!

I‘d add a photo, but it ain’t where it’s supposed to be!

daifly

Western Thunderer
The ScaleSeven Group sells this to members for joggling 7mm rail:
104 Joggle jig.png
It works very well if you take the precaution @simond mentions above!

Sadly, it's temporarily out-of-stock!

Dave

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
The ScaleSeven Group sells this to members for joggling 7mm rail:
View attachment 202950
It works very well if you take the precaution @simond mentions above!

Sadly, it's temporarily out-of-stock!

Dave
You've just given me another reason I'm glad to work in 4mm scale.... I don't need to find space and budget for all the extra gear!;)

I'm impressed by anyone who can do joggles but I think I will carry on cheating.