The Blackwall Railway (East London Abandoned Stations) Found on YouTube

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Ah... The home (in mind only) of Watkins Wharf. We usurped - and fattened up - the dock in Regent's Canal Basin (7:26 on the video)

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Jan

jonte

Western Thunderer
Ah... The home (in mind only) of Watkins Wharf. We usurped - and fattened up - the dock in Regent's Canal Basin (7:26 on the video)

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Jan
I posted with you in mind, Jan.

Thought of you as soon as I saw it, but guessed you’d be aware of all this so didn’t want to risk boring you.

Pleased to read therefore that you enjoyed it :)

Jon

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
I posted with you in mind, Jan.

Thought of you as soon as I saw it, but guessed you’d be aware of all this so didn’t want to risk boring you.

Pleased to read therefore that you enjoyed it :)

Jon
Hi Jon
My mind is an unholy union of a colander and a sieve at the moment. And the only stuff that sticks around is dark matter. So I’m grateful for the reminder. And your consideration, of course.

It’s an interesting cherrypicking of imagery - especially the moments of emptiness around the communal pump, and the black unknowns of the dim-lit windows. A brutal existence. I don’t think you could call it living. We have so much now, and want even more. Will we ever be content?

I had to turn the sound off: there’s something about music overlays that get to me as I advance in years (and retreat in tolerance, it seems).

Thanks again

Cheers

Jan

jonte

Western Thunderer
Hi Jon
My mind is an unholy union of a colander and a sieve at the moment. And the only stuff that sticks around is dark matter. So I’m grateful for the reminder. And your consideration, of course.

It’s an interesting cherrypicking of imagery - especially the moments of emptiness around the communal pump, and the black unknowns of the dim-lit windows. A brutal existence. I don’t think you could call it living. We have so much now, and want even more. Will we ever be content?

I had to turn the sound off: there’s something about music overlays that get to me as I advance in years (and retreat in tolerance, it seems).

Thanks again

Cheers

Jan
It appears we have a lot in common, Jan, especially in the memory retention department :confused:

I too watched with the sound down (something I do when watching vids of layouts, as I prefer the clickety-clack of wheels on rails which I find rather soothing :)).

The depiction of the former East End slums - coupled with the odd unsavoury note of vermin infestations - saddened me somewhat, although as I later suggested to my wife, I bet members of these communities would never have known loneliness.

As always, pros and cons with everything, I guess.

Glad, once again, you enjoyed it.

Jon

David Waite

Western Thunderer
Further to the above, perhaps this was a possible source for the creator of the video?

Hoping it might serve as a useful reference for would-be creators of inner city scapes during steam days.

jonte
What a atmosphere, wonderful thank you.
David.

Bigjohn

I once worked in a dock office adjacent to the old west India dock road entrance close to the London and Blackwall railway which was 5ft gauge and rope hauled at some point it met the eastern counties railway 4ft3inch gauge.theres an interesting book that covers the millwall extension railway. The port of London authority who had their own railway system purchased a GWR steam rail motor in the 1920s but its length tended to straighten out the curved track.
A fascinating area for the railway historian
Bigjohn

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
I once worked in a dock office adjacent to the old west India dock road entrance close to the London and Blackwall railway which was 5ft gauge and rope hauled at some point it met the eastern counties railway 4ft3inch gauge.theres an interesting book that covers the millwall extension railway. The port of London authority who had their own railway system purchased a GWR steam rail motor in the 1920s but its length tended to straighten out the curved track.
A fascinating area for the railway historian
Bigjohn
Hello Bigjohn
Yes; it is fascinating. In my research for Watkins Wharf, I have amassed a fair chunk of the library that informs on the life of The Fourpenny Rope. I have a slim volume on the MER by Geoff Body, but I'll admit it's a bit under-represented in my personal interest span; I'm very much focused on the elevated bit between Stepney East and West India Docks. Which tends to minimise the role of the PLA (there's and an LPC book on the locomotives thereof, but it goes for 'funny money'). There's a uselful insight into the early history of The London & Blackwall here: The First Docklands Railway : The Story of the London and Blackwall Railway

Cheers

Jan

Bigjohn

Stretching this thread a little. I was in the employ of the PLA when it ceased rail operations in 1971. When they counted the wagons at the royal group of docks for disposal they found they has 1 extra, a recheck they found the offending waggon an iron mink type in BR livery. The van had delivered cargo in the 1930s and never called for. You will by now realise that it was not the BR that you were thinking of it was the livery of the BARRY RAILWAY 24” style. I guess I might be the only forum member to have seen such a vehicle in original livery?
It was duly handed to a Surprised British Railways
bigJ