SWAG RMweb Members Day 2024

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
The SWAG Members day for 2024 is scheduled for Sunday 28th April 2024.
Women_of_Britain_Say_-__Go__-_World_War_I_British_poster_by_the_Parliamentary_Recruiting_Comm...jpeg

A show provided by modellers for modellers.

Hours
10AM- 4PM

Where

Staplegrove Village Hall,
214 Staplegrove Road,
Taunton.
TA2 6AL

☆☆☆Please note- There is limited parking at the venue. If parking in the residential areas, please do so with consideration for local residents☆☆☆

Entry

Entry is FREE but donations are gratefully received to go towards ensuring we can do this again in 2025.

Layouts

Ten layouts in 2mm F/S, 00, EM, P4, 0-16.5NG and 7mm.

IMG_1353.jpeg.6a103f20fb18be088b07233a65d6dd6b-01.jpeg

Kyle of Lochalsh 2mm F/S
Paynestown N gauge Welsh Valleys terminus.
Old Parrock 4mm 00 pre-grouping
Lydbrook Dean 4mm 00. 1960s Forest of Dean.
Cropper Street 4mm 00 Blue and Green Diesels
Middleton Top 4mm 00 Cromford and High Peak
Upbech St Mary 4mm EM East Anglian idyll.
Ruyton Road 4mm P4
St Oswalds 7mm 0.16.5. Cameo
Oswell Town 7mm.

Demos,

Bring and buy.

General enjoyment supported by lots of cake, plentiful cups of tea and all accompanied by a large dollop of gentle banter and lots of good humour.

Do pop in.

Rob.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
For anyone thinking of attending, Cropper Street is featured in the most recent issue of Railway Modeller.

Rob

Rob R

Western Thunderer
Rob (and team),
Hope all goes well for SWAG 24.
Unfortunately I won't be there this year, some lame excuse about a 380 mile round trip to the S7 do with Trowland the day before...

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob,

Thank you. It's a pity you'll miss it but we'll let you off........this time.

Thoroughly enjoyed the write up in BRM this month on Trowland. So glad you could bring it along last year and of course Trowland was in very good company with East Lynn Quay.

Rob

cloggydog

Annoyingly, I'd already committed to helping operate a friend's layout at the Key Model World Live show at the NEC next weekend, so will miss SWAG this year *sadface*

I did get to SWAG last year and thoroughly enjoyed the day, spending about 5 hours at one of the most sociable events on the calendar. Friendly, welcoming, sharing ideas and catching up with folks. Well worth the journey over from Reading.

Last edited:

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Not quite sure why RMweb needs to be featured on WT.

Tim

The event was started by a a group of RMweb members who all lived in the SW. Some are no longer RMweb members and some regular attendees aren't based in the SW. If you went to the event you'd find it is the most friendly and welcoming show, very little actual interface or reference to RMweb. Plus, over the years it has raised £1000s for charity.

On the basis that anyone is welcome, it's a great event and the charitable donations, why shouldn't it be referenced on here?

adrian

Flying Squad
Not quite sure why RMweb needs to be featured on WT.

Tim
because I like good modelling irrespective of where it's posted and if there is something on RMweb or an RMweb related event then I'd like to know about it. So I have no problem at all about anyone posting links to modelling of interest on RMweb or from any other forum for that matter.

I know WT is a niche forum, we're on a different scale to RMweb and I'm not trying to compete with them in any shape or fashion, there's room for everyone and some modellers prefer a different style and approach to a forum and other don't and long may it continue. What I don't like is the politics, after all it's simply a hobby, people playing trains, so what I don't want to see is any "baggage". If you have any problems with the way you were treated by the RMweb team then take it up with them but don't bring it up here.

Nick Rogers

Western Thunderer
Why shouldn't it be? This is a sociable event which anyone can go to and enjoy - even WT members!

Exactly. I’m a member of both forums - I do admit I spent far longer on here now than RMWeb (admittedly, I now spend more time doing and less time looking at modelling).

The Taunton show is a lovely get together, which raises a lot of money for good causes. I don’t see what the problem is. No different to someone advertising the Bristol show on here, which is financially sponsored by BRM/RMWeb. The Taunton show, is to my knowledge and understanding, self-funding.

Regards,

Nick.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Exactly. I’m a member of both forums - I do admit I spent far longer on here now than RMWeb (admittedly, I now spend more time doing and less time looking at modelling).

The Taunton show is a lovely get together, which raises a lot of money for good causes. I don’t see what the problem is. No different to someone advertising the Bristol show on here, which is financially sponsored by BRM/RMWeb. The Taunton show, is to my knowledge and understanding, self-funding.

Regards,

Nick.

Thanks Nick,

Yes, our SWAG day is self supporting, challenging as costs rise whilst we are continuing to do this as a free to enter event and I'm determined to retain that aspect of it.
This year though has seen an inevitable shift in that the emphasis has moved slightly to firstly securing funds to allow SWAG'25 to take place before a donation is made to charity. That said, the layouts and demos are already in place for next year.........and to a certain extent, 2026.

Rob

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
.... because I like good modelling irrespective of where it's posted and if there is something on RMweb or an RMweb related event then I'd like to know about it. So I have no problem at all about anyone posting links to modelling of interest on RMweb or from any other forum for that matter.

Well said.

I know WT is a niche forum..
Might I suggest "WT is a forum with focus"... niche suggests something which I think is not the WT direction.

rgds, G

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Morning all,

Well, we're on the home straight now. In 48hrs time I'll be stood in Staplegrove Village Hall scratching my head, trying to make sense of my floor plan.

Here are a few images of some of our layouts for this year.

Bodmin Moor- A diorama.

BM_Backscene_02copy.jpg.e3d613d13d72864763660bc23ca660e6.jpg

Lydbrook Dean

IMG_1350.jpeg.7600f4f299589cd2fe7a3fd258ce0e64.jpeg

Upbech St Mary. A small East Anglian module and part of a larger 'empire'.

1000003202-02.jpeg.70a2ca6a2e147cbf893335448556998a.jpeg

Kyle of Lochalsh.

kol9.png

Paynestown.

P1140616.JPG.1b4106a2440e3d2e5453fef703efddbc.jpeg.jpg

Cropper Street.

52509774057_d2300cc573_z.jpg

Ruyton Road.

RailWells.jpeg.d9599d56097da1490a2362b4ba572c31.jpeg-1.jpg

St Oswalds.

IMG_1404.jpg.4204a268224d2efce218332dfeb1917a.jpg

Rob.