Spooling Mistales

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Something I've experienced, as have a few other residents of our small town of Llanidloes, is a lorry driver asking for directions to an address in the town no one has heard of.
Plenty of tales like that, especially from pre-Satnav days, drivers confusing Newcastle-under-Lyme with Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Bradford on Avon with Bradford, possibly one of the best/worst I heard of was a driver who took a container from Southampton to Stratford on Avon instead of Stratford, East London.
One I had was one day I spent ages trying to find a non-existant address in Hereford, as part of a multi-drop day in Herefordshire & Gloucestershire. Despite phone calls back to the office for help, which descended almost to abuse from the Desk Jockey about what a useless driver I was for not being able to find this place, it was impossible to find.
Then I saw the Postcode on the delivery notes - HT, not HE.... Despite saying "Hereford" in the address, it was actually in Hertford!! One slip on the typewriter (hey, remember those??!!) by some Office Wallah cost a pretty penny in fuel & delays. The pallet was returned to our depot & forwarded overnight to our London depot, so at least I didn't have to make the trek myself.

Last edited: