Southern Region Inspection Saloon DS1

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Well that's another Ditto here I was quite happily doing my own thing them out came my little bundle 2 1/2 years ago and it ain't been the same since.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
little Pippa who is eight months old, has two cousins - Emily who is ten and Elizabeth who is twenty one and just graduated from Cambridge. So we haven't exactly been overworked by the grandchildren - and as you say Mick, we can give them back :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

cheers

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
another slight diversion on the road to picking up the Inspection Saloon again now that I have finally sourced the tube to fabricate the vac cylinders!! - a Slater's Standard 12t van - more or less straight from the box. The most 'involved' bit was making up the running numbers from four pieces of Fox's waterslide transfers.

IMG_2749.JPG

IMG_2751.JPG
now clearing the decks to restart the Saloon next week.

Looking forward to the last running session at Llanbedr tomorrow with the North Wales and West Cheshire lads.

cheers

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob,

thanks for the comment.

I've made a start on one of the bogies - a very strange design - to me anyway, I'll be doing some more this week and will post some photos. Also sorting out some anomolies in the instructions - nothing changes ;);)

cheers

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Get motivated - take some photos and update the build thread.

I started the bogies a few weeks ago and soon discovered anomolies in the instructions - contacted Ivan Smith (Southwark Bridge Models) and over the course of a week, the anomolies were resolved, but they had the overall effect of putting me off any further progress. The design of the bogies is new to me, but Ivan says that it is quite common in 4mm - you build up two halves and the only thing that holds the completed halves together is the torsion rod - I have still to put the whitemetal sides on and then I can solder the rod at each end - this allows the 'bolster' to swivel up & down on the rod, but as far as I can see, does not allow the wheels to pivot on their axis - perhaps all will be revealed once the whole bogie is assembled. I would welcome comments on this please.

IMG_2783.JPGIMG_2785.JPGIMG_2786.JPGIMG_2789.JPG

Hopefully will be doing some more later today.

cheers

Mike

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Get motivated - take some photos and update the build thread.

I started the bogies a few weeks ago and soon discovered anomolies in the instructions - contacted Ivan Smith (Southwark Bridge Models) and over the course of a week, the anomolies were resolved, but they had the overall effect of putting me off any further progress. The design of the bogies is new to me, but Ivan says that it is quite common in 4mm - you build up two halves and the only thing that holds the completed halves together is the torsion rod - I have still to put the whitemetal sides on and then I can solder the rod at each end - this allows the 'bolster' to swivel up & down on the rod, but as far as I can see, does not allow the wheels to pivot on their axis - perhaps all will be revealed once the whole bogie is assembled. I would welcome comments on this please.
Hopefully will be doing some more later today.

cheers

Mike

Mike,

It's worth having a little faith with this approach, in my experience it works well in 4mm modelling (where they're available from MJT). Perhaps it lacks the fluidity of the Pendleton, (available from Masokits in 4mm, and CPL in 7mm)but the trackholding is superb.

Take care when soldering the rod in though - you only need three joins of solder, one on each outer frame and one on the bolster. You will then find that the frame can twist and gives remarkable stability.

I really should get onto Ivan to see whether he could make his bogies available seperately; both the carriage and diamond-frame freight bogie have other applications.

Steph

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Steph,

many thanks for the response, but why do you need to have a soldered joint at the bolster, surely this will stop it - the bolster, doing it's job?

cheers

Mike

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Hi Mike,
Like Steph I have used that style in 4mm (MJT and 5522) both with great success. They didn't come as too great a shock for me as they were on what was only my second coach I think so I wasn't used to anything in particular. Which reminds me I still have a 4mm MJT coach with that style of bogie to finish:oops:

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Hi Steph,

many thanks for the response, but why do you need to have a soldered joint at the bolster, surely this will stop it - the bolster, doing it's job?

Mike,

You'll find that the press stud has enough 'give' to allow for equalisation of the two bogies to the underframe, so soldering it on one side to keep it upright is a good idea...

Steph