Prototype South African 2ft. gauge railways

PhilH

Western Thunderer
SOUTH AFRICAN TWO FOOT GAUGE RAILWAYS

This together with another topic on the rolling stock was posted some time ago in the other place, but its now devoid of photos so I thought it might be of interest to repeat the information here. Some of the locomotives pictured are now over here in the UK. The black & white photos were originally scanned from postcard prints but I've since been able to scan the negatives so the photographs should be a little bit better.

The photos were taken in September 1973 during a 3 week visit to South Africa, split roughly equally between Main Line, Narrow Gauge and Industrial systems. Four of the five operating 2ft. gauge systems were visited - the Port Elizabeth to Avontuur line in Cape Province and the Port Shepstone to Harding; Umzinto to Donnybrook; Umlaas Road to Mid Illovo lines in Natal. The only line I couldn't fit in was the Escourt to Weenen line which was the only line still running a regular scheduled passenger service.

Humewood Road B © PGH.jpg
Humewood Road was the main 2ft gauge station in Port Elizabeth and location of the locomotive sheds and workshop. Trains normally terminated here although it was not the end of the line as the 2ft gauge extended a further ¾ mile down to the harbour, the 3ft-6in gauge goods transhipment shed and the main line station. The locomotive facilities comprised three separate loco sheds, two with 2 roads and one single road, a 2 road workshop; coaling stage; ash pit and large rectangular water tank. The only freight traffic actually dealt with here seems to have been the transfer of livestock to the 3ft-6in gauge, for which there was a raised cattle dock served by both gauges. The 3ft-6in gauge also served the coaling stage, an end loading dock for 2ft gauge equipment and storage hoppers for transfer of ballast to 2ft gauge hopper wagons (some of which are now on the Welsh Highland Railway). The station itself was quite a modest affair comprising a short platform and collection of small buildings. Leaving the yard the line curved sharply to the right and crossed the road on a concrete bridge beyond which was a wye for turning locos and a connection to the new diesel loco depot, then in course of construction.

1. 072B © PGH.jpg

View of the passenger platform from the north (harbour) end

2. 16504B © PGH.jpg

View of the passenger platform from the south (Avontuur) end

3. 16517B © PGH.jpg

View of the yard from the north end with 3ft-6in gauge track in centre leading to the cattle dock and dropping down to the end loading dock.

4. 16502B © PGH.jpg

The Loco Depot with ash pit in foreground and single road shed to the left. The 3ft-6in gauge wagons on the right are being loaded with ash.​

5. 074B © PGH.jpg

Loco sheds to the left beyond the one sided shelter; workshop in centre with the large rectangular water tank in front. At the coaling stage on the right is Class NG15 2-8-2 NG134, which is currently being rebuilt for service on the Welsh Highland Railway (more photos of that later).

6. 16430B © PGH.jpg

The opposite end of the loco sheds with workshop in centre of photo. On the right hand road of the workshop is the Class NG11 Garratt NG55 under repair in three separate sections. This and its sister loco NG54 (which I didn't see on the visit) were normally used for shunting at Humewood Road and transfer freights down to the harbour.

timbowales

Western Thunderer
That actually looks like Peco OO pointwork.
It actually looks too deep even for Peco.
I believe, from my reading of various books on the Cape 2ft gauge systems, that it was actually ex 3’-6” branch line rail at this time.
Much bigger than anything that was found in the UK
Tim T

PhilH

Western Thunderer
7. 16630B.jpg

NG16 Class Garratt NG111 was shunting the yard at Humewood Road in place of NG55,

8. 16704B.jpg

......and worked a transfer freight down to the docks with the driver in the customary position on the seat outside the cab and the guard standing on the running board. A major traffic on the line was agricultural produce, much of which was shipped from Port Elizabeth Harbour.

9. 086B © PGH.jpg

One of the Port Elizabeth Harbour 3ft-6in gauge shunters Class S2 No.3775 collects livestock wagons from the cattle dock.

9a. 16611B © PGH.jpg

2ft gauge van NG51 on 3ft-6in gauge flat wagon 8ZL2016 at the end loading dock. The top copings of the walls on each side are old flat bottom rails upside down.

10. 16612B © PGH.jpg

NG15 Class NG122 prepares to leave Humewood Road on a short freight train

11. 16614B © PGH.jpg

12. 16618B © PGH.jpg

NG122 departs, crossing the bridge over the highway. One leg of the wye branches off to the left.

13. 16722B © PGH.jpg

The new diesel loco shed under construction. Compare the size of the loco on the right with the track its standing on !

14. 087B © PGH.jpg

Diesel electric No.91-005 built by GEC Model UM6B, brand new and "straight out of the box" or rather just off the ship from the USA. These are massive locos for the 2ft. gauge, with a total height of just under 12 feet from rail level and a width of 8ft‑5in. In comparison the NG13/16 Garratts are 10ft-4in to top of chimney and 7ft-0in wide. Four locos had been delivered by the time of my visit - Nos.91-001, 91-002, 91-003 and 91-005, and just one given a trial run on the line. By December another 16 arrived giving a total of 20 locos and once in operation they replaced the Garratts, so the visit was particularly timely. The locos were fitted with American Willison automatic couplers and required adaptors to couple with the existing rolling stock.
One of the diesels, No.91‑016, has recently been purchased by a private individual for use in the UK.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
And of course there's this web sight which had drawings for all of the SAR locomotives...

... and these are complete drawing sets. I got a set for the GMAM Garratt a good few years ago and it totalled 434 drawings as PDFs.

Jim.
Yes and I have a growing collection....... ;)

Image.jpg

Sadly some are quite (very in some cases) poor quality.

I'm waiting (hoping) they'll get some early diesel or electric loco drawings to the same detail, having said that I did find some GEC drawings at NRM for SAR (7E) electric locos (plus many more) but not had a chance to look at them yet.

George M

Very nice to see these again. I enjoyed them on t'other place, and even based a scratch built wagon, suitably scaled off your photo with known dimensions from an EDM models kit, on one:

2024-01-05_03-13-50.jpg

2024-01-05_03-13-07.jpg

I have several more in mind when the building interest swings back to S African 2'

Best regards from Sweden, George!

PhilH

Western Thunderer
Very nice to see these again. I enjoyed them on t'other place, and even based a scratch built wagon, suitably scaled off your photo with known dimensions from an EDM models kit, on one:
I have several more in mind when the building interest swings back to S African 2'
Best regards from Sweden, George!

George,
I'm pleased to see that the photos (whether over there or over here !) have been of some use, it makes the effort of posting them worthwhile. This time I'll include details of the rolling stock in this topic instead of separately as previously.

PhilH

Western Thunderer
NG15s at Humewood Road loco depot:

15. 16723B © PGH.jpg

NG18 one of the three locos in the first batch built by Henschel of Germany in 1931

16. 16434B © PGH.jpg

NG19 another 1931 Henschel

17. 16436B © PGH.jpg

18. 16435B © PGH.jpg

Valve gear and lead truck detail of NG 19

19. 16718B © PGH.jpg

NG117 a 1938 Henschel receives attention inside the loco shed

20. 16716B © PGH.jpg

Cab detail of NG133 built by Anglo Franco-Belge of Belgium in 1952 and now on the Welsh Highland Railway.
Apparently the engine crews preferred these locos to the Garratts as the cab didn't get so hot inside.

21. 075B © PGH.jpg

NG134 again at the coaling stage - now under restoration at the Welsh Highland Railway

22. 077B © PGH.jpg

NG134 - the correct Anglo Franco-Belge works plate is at the bottom left corner of the cabside; the other side of the cab had the Henschel worksplate off NG144; parts of the left hand motion were from NG118 and parts of the right hand motion were from NG122, so evidently there was some swapping of parts between locos.

23. 16715B © PGH.jpg

Motion detail of 134 taken the following day outside the loco shed.

24. 16621B © PGH.jpg

The rear view of NG134 emphasises the size of the tender on these locos and the water tank overhangs and extends down to the bottom of the chassis on each side. A new tender body has been constructed for service on the WHR giving better rearward visibility and this will be fitted to the original tender chassis.

Its hoped to get NG134 in service on the WHR sometime this year and I couldn't imagine when I took these photos that 50 years later this loco would be operating in the UK.

simond

Western Thunderer
George,
I'm pleased to see that the photos (whether over there or over here !) have been of some use, it makes the effort of posting them worthwhile. This time I'll include details of the rolling stock in this topic instead of separately as previously.
Phil,

as I remarked on @oldravendale “Tim Mills photo thread“, I can add nothing useful, and in response to your comment above that the photos are of some use, sadly not to me - but please keep posting your pictures.

There is a terrific historical resource here and I’m sure I’m not alone in enjoying looking at the photos, and in imagining places I’ve never had the opportunity to visit, along with the few where our paths have crossed.

atb
Simon

PhilH

Western Thunderer
Garratt locomotives at Humewood Road loco depot:

26. 16724B © PGH.jpg

27. 16622B © PGH.jpg

NGG13 class No.83 built by Hanomag in Germany in 1928

28. 16624B © PGH.jpg

29. 16625B © PGH.jpg

31. 16627B © PGH.jpg

31a. 1662416710B © PGH.jpg

The only major difference between the NG13 Garratts (left) and NG16s (right) is that the bearings for the trailing (inner) wheels of each power unit are in the case of the NG13 carried on the frame with a certain amount of lateral movement whereas on the NG16 they are carried in pony trucks. Also due to experience with overheating on the plain bearings on the NG13s, the NG16s were fitted with roller bearings on the leading and trailing wheels of each engine unit.

32. 16617B © PGH.jpg

NGG16 class No.111 built by Beyer Peacock in 1939. This has a welded front tank with a flat top and a welded bunker.

33. 16725B © PGH.jpg

NGG16 class No.125 built by Beyer Peacock in 1950 - with a rivetted front tank with a rounded top and rivetted bunker.

34. 16707B © PGH.jpg

NGG16 class No.127 built by Beyer Peacock in 1950 - with a welded front tank with a rounded top and a rivetted bunker.

35. 16709B © PGH.jpg

Detail of NG127 - a plumber's nightmare ! Note the rows of 5 ventilation slots top and bottom of the cab front.

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
I called in at Dinas late one afternoon in September and after the train had passed on its way to Carnarfon and observing both the open shed door and the lack of anyone about I stuck my head in to look at the NG15. Neither it nor the Garratts are small and hopefully the so called Kalahari will be in running condition in the not too distant future. I wholly agree with you Mick, I want one as well.

astropsidings

It is good to see these pictures online again (along with all the others).

I have some detail pictures of NG15 no. 122 taken at the George museum (numberplates are slightly different on each side incidentally), here: SAR NG15

Ian

Giles

Western Thunderer
The quality of these photos is also superb - as well as being superbly useful photos of the locos themselves. thank you!

PhilH

Western Thunderer
Rolling Stock at Humewood Road:

36. 16507B © PGH.jpg

4 compartment 1st class Coach NG48

37. 088B © PGH.jpg

4 compartment 1st class Coach NG57 with centre toilet. The light coloured band around the windows is actually very light grey.

38. 089B © PGH.jpg

1st class Saloon Coach NG113 built by Sachsische Waggonfabrik, Werdau No.29594 1926.

39. 090B © PGH.jpg

2 compartment Brake Van V956

40. 16515B © PGH.jpg

2 compartment Brake Van V2809

41.16631B © PGH.jpg

Steel Full Brake Van V3177. The similar V3172 is now on the Welsh Highland Railway.

42. 16429B © PGH.jpg

Full Brake Van V221, rebuilt from an ex Otavi Railway Box Van. Note the unusual wheel spokes.

PhilH

Western Thunderer
43. 16711B © PGH.jpg

Goods Van OZ2653, built by Barlow Head Wrightson, Benoni

44. 16432B © PGH.jpg

Goods Van (OZ)2573, also built by Barlow Head Wrightson

45. 16514B © PGH.jpg

Goods Van OZ2980, built by Barlows Heavy Engineering Ltd., Benoni

46. 16503B © PGH.jpg

Livestock Van G3208, built by Barlows Heavy Engineering Ltd., Benoni

47. 16433B © PGH.jpg

Ex USATC Goods Van. Originally built by the American Car & Foundry Co. for use on the Vicicongo Railway, 220 of these were obtained by the SAR in 1945 and of these 155 were modified by raising the roof to increase capacity. The resulting gap also meant they could be used for livestock and judging by the water dripping off the door opening this example has recently been so used, having just been washed out on the siding with a pit provided for that purpose. If these vans were used for goods which had to be kept dry the top section would be covered with a tarpaulin.

47a. 16637B © PGH.jpg

End view of unmodified ex USATC Goods Van OZ1589.

49. 16636B © PGH.jpg

A line of wagons including Tank Wagon 2200X; Flat Wagon ZNR199 carrying a hut - apparently a DZ Open with a fishbelly frame and side doors removed; another Open Wagon DZ2747 with single extension boards, and an unmodified USATC Goods Van 996.

50. 16632B © PGH.jpg

Tank Wagon X2205

PhilH

Western Thunderer
51. 16714B © PGH.jpg

Open Wagon DZ1953. These were mainly used for limestone traffic from Loerie to the Eastern Provinces Cement Works at Chelsea. Some had squared top corners to the ends and a single "board" (narrow steel panel) extension above the doors like the one to the right, while others had two extension boards (see photo of Brake Van V2809). I didn't see any of the type B Open Wagons with higher sides and ends here on my brief visit and they seemed to be mainly used on the lines in Natal.

52. 16633B © PGH.jpg

Diamond Frame Bogie on DZ1389

53. 16635B © PGH.jpg

Cast Steel Bogie on DZ2747

54. 16634B © PGH.jpg

Plate Frame Bogie on DZ1228. From the DZ wagons I saw at Humewood Road, the 5 with this type of bogie also had doors of flat steel plate instead of the pressed steel doors on the other wagons.

55. 16629B © PGH.jpg

Hudson Ballast Hopper Wagon Y2809. Two of these are now on the Welsh Highland Railway where they were used during the construction of the line.

Kits for most of these items of rolling stock in 16mm scale are available from:
South African Railways - Resurgam Rolling Stock

Last edited:

Dangerous Davies

Western Thunderer
Hi Phil
I note that some wagons were built by Barlow Heavy Engineering and some by Barlow Head-Wrightson, What was the tie-up with Head-Wrightson? I ask as I have had many encounters with Head-Wrightson strip handling equipment during a lifetime working for British Steel and its successors in South Wales.

Keep the photos coming, they are amazing!

Cheers
Dave

Last edited: