Sound decoders...whose?

alcazar

I notice that the larger sound decoders seem to be made by ESU, both for Howes and SWD.

Are the sounds the same? If not, whose does anyone recommend?

And what do folk do about speakers, Howes don't include one and don't seem to list any, SWD include one, but maybe two, or more, would be better in 7mm?

TIA.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
There are some "sounds" which come from one supplier and not the other... Cl.37/4 for example. Where both suppliers offer the same "sound" then understanding the source of the recording may help as might asking WTers for recommendations for a specific engine... for example, there seems to be a preference for Howes when adding sound to a Western.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Jeff,

don't forget the Zimo range with which I have had very good results - all from Digitrains. Sounds seem to be from individual suppliers and therefore depend on their recording sources. Digitrains were very helpful in speaker choice, once told which type of loco was involved.

Just a happy customer, hope this is of use.

cheers

Mike

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Is it me, or have sound chips gone up in price by 20-30% over the last year or so..?

I need one for the F5, but im looking at nearly £100!!

JB.

Simon

Flying Squad
I notice that the larger sound decoders seem to be made by ESU, both for Howes and SWD.

Are the sounds the same? If not, whose does anyone recommend?

And what do folk do about speakers, Howes don't include one and don't seem to list any, SWD include one, but maybe two, or more, would be better in 7mm?

TIA.

If you search the forum for sound you will find quite a few threads where this question or something similar has been discussed, no definitive "answers" though:))

And to add to the confusion some sounds that you can get aren't listed, for example I have a nice a Class 22 sound in my D6319 on a loksound XL from SW Digital - but he (still) isn't listing it as an available sound set:confused:

I think the prime mover is actually taken from a DB V100 which had a single MAN engine as per the Class 22.

But you didn't need to know all that:oops:

Simon

TheSnapper

Western Thunderer
Ahem – here we go! One man’s meat etc. Personal preferences apply here eg Steph prefers Loksound,
I’ve gone totally Zimo (NB: this is not a mental condition!). Note that other makes are available, but most British sounds are currently available on Loksound and Zimo only.
I notice that the larger sound decoders seem to be made by ESU, both for Howes and SWD............
Not true – Zimo do large scale decoders in the form of the MX69xxx series.
http://www.digitrains.co.uk/ecommerce/search.aspx?loc=1&q=&c=1&m=10&pg=4&s=ProductNameAsc&ppp=10

Note that you don’t always need “large-scale” decoders for 7mm, with the exception of older Heljan models or those with similar current-hungry motors.

The reasons I have gone for Zimo:
  • · I like the sound configurations available from Digitrains.sounds, especially the ones produced by Paul Chetter. In my experience, they “drive” better, and often have several sound schemes on one chip, accessible just by a CV change. For example, look at this:
    http://www.digitrains.co.uk/ecommerce/search/zs37d-class-37-ee-all-type-digidrive.aspx
  • · They have an inbuilt “stay-alive” circuit, to which you simply connect capacitors of your choice.
  • · They are less expensive than Loksound chips.
As for speakers, it all depends how much room you have. I like downward firing speakers, so tend to locate them in the fuel tanks of diesels and between the frames of steam locos. You can of course use multiple speakers as long as you watch the impedance doesn’t fall below the minimum specified, which is generally 4ohms with the current generation of chips (Loksound or Zimo).
For example: 2 x 4ohm speakes in series = 8 ohms which is OK, 2 x 4ohm speakers in parallel = 2 ohms which is not OK

HTH

Tim

alcazar

Thanks for that.

What about a sound chip for a Western using two Slaters GB14 gearbox/motors? They run Mashima 1833's with helical gears.

What would anyone suggest?

TheSnapper

Western Thunderer
How about this:
http://www.digitrains.co.uk/ecommerce/search/zs52-class-52-western-sound-for-zim.aspx

Read the notes on "Driving Technique".

You can get it on either a small chip at £83 eg:
http://www.digitrains.co.uk/ecommerce/search/zimo-mx645-sound-decoder.aspx

Or a large one in the 695 series for as little as £140:
http://www.digitrains.co.uk/ecommerce/search/mx696s-large-scale-sound-decoder.aspx

I reckon you should be able to get away with the smaller decoder, but its your decision!

(Please be assured that I have no connection with Digitrains, except as a satisfied customer)

Tim

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
IIRC the MX695 have the servo control on them, and so might be slight overkill.. unless you're going to have some opening doors and devised a way to get 3-link couplings working without the hand of god..

JB.

ZiderHead

Western Thunderer
I suspect Paul Chetter likes Zimo because they allow you to control the sounds based on the real load (current draw) which allows for more prototypical driving/sound. AFAIK Loksound dont have the facility to do this, although they do have 8ch rather than Zimo's 4ch of sounds. This is all probably irrelevant unless you want to monkey around creating your own sound projects/driving schemes though.

alcazar

Ah...THAT Digitrains.

That's where I went on a visit when I'd decided to go DCC and include sound, and came away, after playing with the stuff there for a couple of hours, with an NCE setup.

Chris, the proprietor, was affable, VERY knowledgeable and took time to explain stuff to a complete novice.
He refused to recommend anything, instead insisting that I have a play with everything available and see which one I found the most intuitive.

Yes, good idea, I'll arrange another visit before buying, thanks.