7mm Slaters GWR MEX Cattle Wagons (Six of them)

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
As promised here are a few shots of the little bit of progress.

IMG_6499_zpse1e692ef.jpg

IMG_6500_zpsd4234718.jpg

This shot shows the bows in the top rails which will get sorted when I make the inner frame for the roof.
IMG_6501_zps4a65785b.jpg

IMG_6502_zps90b5bcc6.jpg

Last but not least one of the remaining pairs of sides with the partition supports in place. Before doing anything else I need to study the photos and emails that Graham has sent to make sure that I know which running numbers have the head bars at what height before fitting any of them.

Now that I have proved the concept I will make a start on flattening and drilling out the head bars for the rest of the sides.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Seeing the rate at which you have progressed makes me realise that we might not have discussed the patent device for locking the partition in place... there is a drawing of the locking bar in the appropriate section of GWR Wagons (Tourret). I think that making the bar and the attachment to the opening door flap is not difficult, I have not thought through how to reproduce the hook which retains the partition.

Suggestions welcome, regards Graham

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Hi Graham,

The drawing was among the stuff that you sent and like you I have been thinking about it too. The issue that I can see is that it will need to be made from quite thin material to make it look authentic. I can feel a jig in the making:)

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
... I can feel a jig in the making:)
A good idea Rob, especially as there are at least ten of the little blighters to be made.

For those of a nervous disposition, the last couple of posts are referring to a patented device known to GWR afficiandos as the "Wright-Marillier" locking bar.... this device locked the movable partition so that the an unscrupulous demon would not be able to use more space than ordered / paid. The best photo that I have of this piece of kit is to be found on the Ale wagon (posted here).

One of the many benefits of WT is that WTers are so willing to help others and in this case Rob came to my aid when I was puzzled by the workings of the locking bar. As far as I can see from the photos the locking bar locks the partition when the top door flap is shut... and that there is a locking bar on both sides of the wagon. I did not and might not understand how the device worked in practice and a telephone conversation with Rob confirmed that I was not alone in this matter.

Given that there appears to be a locking bar on both sides of a wagon... and that the top door has to be open to unlock the partition... then I presume that the top door on each side of the wagon needs to be open before the partition can be moved. Opening the top door on the side of the wagon against the cattle dock is easy - how was the top door opened on the other side of the wagon?

Seems to Rob and I that the person looking after the loading of the wagons has to open the far door from the inside of the wagon. Anyone any better suggestion?

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
After a long hiatus while the northern workbench moved, I managed a little more on these last week. The progress took the form of blackening the remaining S7 wheels - rather stupidly I had taken the wrong wheels for mine so I still have mine to do, Doh!!!!

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
The last couple of weekends has seen more progress on these. Of Graham's five, two now have the basic sides/ends/floor made up. The third has the sides and ends paired up in to 'L' shapes and the fourth has one end and one side glued together.

No photos because I forgot to take the camera......

Les Golledge

A good idea Rob, especially as there are at least ten of the little blighters to be made.
Given that there appears to be a locking bar on both sides of a wagon... and that the top door has to be open to unlock the partition... then I presume that the top door on each side of the wagon needs to be open before the partition can be moved. Opening the top door on the side of the wagon against the cattle dock is easy - how was the top door opened on the other side of the wagon?
Hi Graham,
Opening the upper door from the inside just requires placing your arm through the opening in the top door (don't forget that when standing inside your shoulder would be about half way up the top door). If you remember the old Airfix 4mm Cattle wagon one of the top doors each side had a large round hole which as I understand it was provided for staff to reach through and open the top doors from inside.
Regards,
Les.

simond

Western Thunderer
I thought that the whole point of the locking bars was to ensure that the customer only got the space that had paid for - thus presumably, there is a means of ensuring that a drover cannot change the position of the partition - but conversely, one of the railway staff must have been able to.

I'm nowhere near home at the mo, so can't look things up, so forgive me please if this is apparent nonsense.

Best
Simon

simond

Western Thunderer
Just found the reference in Atkins, Beard & Tourret - pg 415, col 3: to move the partition, it was necessary for the top doors to "be opened wide, which could not be done in any yard without attracting the attention of the companies' servants".

HTH
Simon

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Agreed - the root of the original musing is that there was a locking bar on each side of the wagon hence the relevant top door on each side of the wagon had to be opened... how did the Company Servant open the top door which was furthest away from the cattle dock? After re-reading my post and that by @Les Golledge the answer might be that the far side door was opened by somebody who was standing inside of the wagon.

markjj

Western Thunderer
There was an article in a very early MRJ by a guy who super detailed one of these kits including roof supports and the parition device as well as things like stock teathering rings if I get chance tomorrow I will look it out....

Regards

Mark J

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
There was an article in a very early MRJ by a guy who super detailed one of these kits including roof supports and the parition device as well as things like stock teathering rings if I get chance tomorrow I will look it out....

Regards

Mark J
Hi Mark

Would that be Cattle Wagon Variants Part 1 & 2 in MRJ numbers 24/25 by Martin Goodall?

Dave

simond

Western Thunderer
When my kids were little, the Early Learning Centre sold a device about the size of a small soup can, which when inverted, gave a very satisfying "mmoooooh". I often wondered whether the surging of the wagons would be enough to make it work, but I never tried it out.

Probably not what you'd call "finescale"...

Best
Simon

markjj

Western Thunderer
Hi Mark

Would that be Cattle Wagon Variants Part 1 & 2 in MRJ numbers 24/25 by Martin Goodall?

Dave

I think it was a much earlier issue. It was an article showing how one guy had improved the Slaters kit and also a similar article on the Peco/Webster GWR brake vans....

daifly

Western Thunderer
Refining the Exemplary: Slater’s 7mm kits ‑ 1923 RCH 8‑plank mineral and Diagram W1/W5 cattle wagon. Gerry Beale MRJ21 p88

Railwaymaniac

Western Thunderer
My info retrieval system isn't as good as Daifly's (so I can't give you chapter and verse), but I believe that the article on refining the Peco/Webster's brake vans was MRJ Issue 3 ...

Ian

daifly

Western Thunderer
Toad Variations in 7mm scale: Variants of the Webster ‘O’ gauge plastic kit of the common GWR veranda brake van, 1888‑date. With detail drawings. P. Tray MRJ 3/113