SimonD’s workbench

simond

Western Thunderer
Might be time to buy a decoder, but I’m not sure where the speaker is going. Maybe between the cylinders.

Salt? New

simond

Western Thunderer
I went to the Ally Pally show yesterday, there were a couple of captivating layouts on display including a 4mm model of the Wantage tramway.

in what I took to be a gasworks siding was a pitched roof salt wagon. Judging by the vast range of models of this style of wagon in all sorts of colourful liveries, salt was obviously a significant source of trade, I guess originating in Cheshire, and going all around the country. This got me thinking.

Presumably not for the fish & chip shop market. So for what? Preserving fish & making bacon? What else?

back to the bolsters New

simond

Western Thunderer

thirty pages and eight months on, I said something about them "staying this way for months". not wrong!

So a little progress on the bolster wagons. Unfortunately I cannot complete one of them this evening because I broke the coupling guide plate and I don't have a spare :rant:

IMG_8672.jpeg

however, the buffers and couplings work very satisfactorily, even allowing for the very limited space between the Ambis W irons and the buffer plank. There is about a millimetre of travel, and marginally more for the hook.

IMG_8673.jpeg

And the end on which I didn’t break the reinforcement

IMG_8674.jpeg

Last edited:

simond

Western Thunderer
I’m back on this, amongst other things…

and still have the question as I have failed absolutely in my online search for a photo r drawing of this wagon, so have no idea how to letter it.

Is “OWK/2” actually a diagram number?

all suggestions or info most gratefully received!

cheers
Simon

Paul Tomlinson

Western Thunderer
I’m back on this, amongst other things…

and still have the question as I have failed absolutely in my online search for a photo r drawing of this wagon, so have no idea how to letter it.

all suggestions or info most gratefully received!

cheers
Simon
Simon, don't waste any time on "OWK2" - it is as you supposed the JPL catalogue number. ""0" Wagon Kit 2" is my guess...

IMG_1757.jpeg

simond

Western Thunderer
I have one of those, and, to my shame, I still haven’t finished it. Made some progress, but…

image.jpg

@John Baker will recall the tanks…. Which are 3DP after I made a nonsense of the metal ones in the kit (hint, don’t use elastic bands to hold it all together whilst the epoxy sets, or, at least, if you do, make very sure it doesn’t set with a twist in it…). Anyway, it’s easier to do the rivets in 3DP.

I must get around to doing the steam heating and then finish it off.

And for everyone else doing one of these, CRT do rub-down transfers, and whilst you can’t see it, each tank is labelled “A” on one side and “B” on the other, because I’m a prat.

i suppose I could have worked out the kit catalog number thing, thank you all.

Meanwhile, do we have any idea about appropriate 1930 lettering for the wagon, which I suspect to be of LNWR origins?

image.jpg

atb
Simon

Last edited: