Shaking Paint - A Daft Idea

Jim S-W

Western Thunderer
Hi all

I don't know where I got it from but I was always only using half a tinlet of humbrol and revel paints before they went solid.

One day I started shaking the paint to mix it after I had finished using it and so far none have gone solid. Try it, it seems to work!

Cheers

Jim

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
I expect it works by depositing a crust of paint around the lid, sealing the tin. Good tip!

S

Simon Dunkley

Dave Rowe wrote an article in Model Railways about 25 years ago, where he pointed out that each time you open, stir and use the paint, bits of paint will remain on the lip, and be transferred to the lid, which gradually builds up a crust. He was assiduous in removing any paint from the lid before putting it back on - forcing it on when the crust is there merely deforms the tin and lets more air in. He also used to put a drop of thinners (brand matched, for this purpose) into the tin before closing up, and then stored them upside down so that the paint would naturally seal the joint - and also, incidentally, collect all the pigment where it was easier to get to for mixing next time.

Before anyone comments that they don't have the time/patience for this, Dave was (is?) famously impatient* and by his wife's admission if not his own, tight with money. He saved the latter by not having to buy so many new tins, and kept his patience better, too, by not opening a tin to find it has dried up.

*He reckoned that if you measured up correctly, checked, and took time to make several light cuts, it would be quicker than taking a short-cut and making a mess of everything, only to have to start again and do it properly by measuring carefully, checking, and taking several light cuts... He must have had some kind of satori, as he reckoned that the truly impatient person does not hurry things. (Wonderful paradox, that!)

Festina lente...

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
I've heard of that tip before... never tried it, though, as knowing my luck the lids would leak....:oops:

I did try it and exactly that, i had'nt sealed the lid properly and the next morning i came down to find a nice pile of paint on the workbench:oops:.

S

Simon Dunkley

As I said, you need to make sure that the lid and the rim of the paint tin have no hard bits on them, otherwise they deform the seal, and you get leaks.

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
While on this subject, I used to have a similar problem with Railmatch enamels in bottles, the lids became completely siezed on with dry paint.............so much so that on ocasion I have had to break the plastic lid completely to get in.

I now clean the neck of the bottles thoroughly & separate the cardboard disc inside the lid. I now put the card disc (foil side down) on top of the cleaned bottle neck & then tightly replace the lid result is no more seized bottles or dried up paint :thumbs::)

Cheers Phill :)

Jim S-W

Western Thunderer
Hi phil

If you do have any more seized bottles a quick spray of airbrush cleaner into the thread of the lid and a few minutes wait will allow you to open it.

I just assumed that shaking the paint re-mixed any skin that was starting to form but I will adopt the cleaning the lid regime too!

Cheers

Jim

westernfan

Western Thunderer
Hi phil

If you do have any more seized bottles a quick spray of airbrush cleaner into the thread of the lid and a few minutes wait will allow you to open it.

I just assumed that shaking the paint re-mixed any skin that was starting to form but I will adopt the cleaning the lid regime too!

Cheers

Jim

Or if impatient like me holding with a cloth and when swmbo isnt looking wedge between door and frame and twist i recently had to do this with an 8 year old bottle of railmatch LMS crimson lake to paint the o gauge cct .always thought it was the same as br crimson bit like those different shades of blue gets coat and runs for cover

D1054

Western Thunderer
I simply put the cap on and turn the tin on it's lid....... then spend hours trying to find the colour next time.... Doh!