Scratchbuild a wagon in styrene

Overseer

Western Thunderer
As requested in the thread on the North British 16T mineral wagon I am making another open wagon and taking photos along the way to explain how I approach making wagon bodies using polystyrene sheet. I encourage everyone to have a go and try scratchbuilding a wagon. It is not difficult and requires few tools. It is also cheap so if the first one doesn't turn out quite right just use it for weathering practice or as a business card holder (or any other use you think of) and have another go.

Feel free to ask any questions.

To keep things together the following photo shows all the tools needed (as previously shown).
NB 16T tools.jpg
From the top is an Olfa P cutter used to make grooves in styrene sheet, Olfa make a couple of different types and the blades are quite often available as replacements - they fit in No2 modelling knife handles so you don't really need the whole P cutter. Then a small piece of coarse emery or sand paper for applying texture to unpainted planks, a small square, a pin vice, vernier callipers, a cheap paint brush for applying solvent, a scalpel with number 11 blade, a steel rule, some needle files and a largish flat file. All on a cutting mat. Most modellers will have most if not all of these.

The next item is not absolutely vital but it makes things much easier and quicker. It is a cheap engineers square screwed to a piece of plywood. It makes cutting and scribing at right angles very easy and dramatically reduces the risk of making mistakes.
FB square.jpg

The size doesn't matter as long as the width is more than the length of the wagon being made.

There are numerous sources of high impact polystyrene sheet. But to start with I suggest buying a range of thicknesses of Slaters Plastikard as it is of consistent quality, both of surface finish and thickness tolerance. Larger sheets purchased from vacuum forming firms or others are also useable but will have been specified to suit their use - often with one high gloss face. The hardness can also vary, not usually a problem but it is another thing to get used to dealing with once you have had some practice.

As an example for this thread I have chosen an ex-LNWR diagram 84 open wagon in the condition it was in circa 1955. This is a fairly typical wooden open wagon, but at 18 feet longer than many open wagons. LNWR Wagons - Volume One has General Arrangement diagrams and photographs. A photograph on page 105 shows wagon M230481 in 1958, in the condition I will be aiming at. You can choose any wagon you have information for.

And to start -
IMG_2138 c start.jpg
Working outside for the light for photos, but the clouds came over so the following photos are not great.

The first step is to look at the drawing and photographs and work out the size and thickness of the various parts. I usually scribble dimensions in millimetres on a scale copy of the drawing. Select the closest thickness styrene sheet available for the body sides and floor. In this case I am using 1.5mm (60 thou) which is a bit thin for this wagon (it had 3" thick planks) but just right for the majority of open wagons with 2 1/2" thick sides.

Step 2: Measure and cut a strip from the sheet, the width matching the length of the wagon. Depending on the arrangement of the wagon a decision should be made whether to have the ends between the sides or the sides between the ends. In this case I have made the width of the strip match the length minus the thickness of the ends.
IMG_2140 c measure.jpg
I use the vernier callipers to measure and mark the styrene using the scalpel held against the leg of the calliper. The scalpel mark is much finer than can be made with a pencil and provides a positive location to start cutting from.

Step 3: Score the styrene sheet a couple of times using the scalpel. The cut only needs to go about a third of the way through. Then snap off along a table edge or similar.
IMG_2141 c snap.jpg

Step 4: Make a simple height gauge from an offcut of styrene matching the width of the planks and curb rail, again using the scalpel as the marking tool. I have added a bit of pencil to make it easier to see the grooves and to identify the top of the gauge.
IMG_2144 c measure.jpg

The gauge is used to mark the styrene strip for the plank lines. If using the square cutting guide only one end needs to be marked. Mark the inside and outside for one side.

Step 5: Cut the end of the strip of styrene in the square guide to ensure that it is right angled.
IMG_2142 c square.jpg

Step 6: Use the P Cutter to scribe the grooves between the planks. Some practice will be needed to get the technique right. Get used to how hard you need to push down to make the depth and width of groove you want and the angle to hold the cutter at. The aim is to get consistency. A single cut is better than going over the groove.
IMG_2145 c scribe.jpg

After scribing both sides of the side, use the scalpel to make the cut at the bottom of the side and snap off. Repeat for the other side and the ends (usually two ends can be made from the length of the side). The next photo shows the grooves a bit closer, after a single pass with the P Cutter and no cleaning up.

IMG_2146 c scribe close.jpg

I think that might be the limit to the number of images so the next step will be in the next post.

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Following the sides, the ends are similar but a decision needs to be made whether to include the headstocks as part of the body end or to add them separately. I usually add them separately. The ends will usually be lower than the sides as the curb rails along the base of the sides overlap the sole bars. In this case the lower plank on the ends is wider than the others to cover the floor. Some wagons had the floorboard showing at the ends so look at the drawing and photos you are working from.

The sides and ends.
IMG_2147 c sides.jpg

Step 7: The width of the floor is marked and cut from the prepared strip. Once cut the planks are marked, the floor piece put back in the square cutting guide and the floor planks scribed.
IMG_2148 c parts.jpg

Step 8: Mark the door locations, both inside and out and scribe the lines using the P Cutter and the square cutting guide. Make sure that the scribed lines don't cut into the curb rail or any through planks. The plank lines make this quite easy but it is possible to go too far. All is not lost if a scribed line is too long as it can be filled later.

Step 9: Wood grain texture for the inside of the planks and floor. I use a fragment of coarse emery paper or sand paper to drag some texture into the styrene. This provides a grain to replicate the unpainted timber inside most wagons. I usually don't use the same method for the outside of the planks as they were rarely so rough, but it could suit certain prototypes.
IMG_2150 c texture.jpg

According to the camera, from the first shot of the table to the one above was 52 minutes. There is no point rushing but scratch building doesn't have to take ages.

Sorry some of the photos aren't as clear as they should be.

Next time, assembling the body and starting on the underframe and details.

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Fraser,

Thanks for posting this, it's a timely reminder for me that I've got a small number of SR permanent way wagons to build. Your summary of the techniques is therefore very handy!

I have also been referring to a short series of articles (by Simon de Souza IIRC) that appeared in Modelling Railways Illustrated many moons ago...

Steph

iak63

Western Thunderer
Fascinating thread this one and food for thought... :cool:
Some dimensions of that cutting/scribing jig might be handy mind.
Stimulating stuff.
And those articles were by Mr de Souza so ones recollections are correct Steph.
Maybe more of us should take leap into scratchbuilding - ermmmmmm :eek:

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I so want one of those cutting jigs! My current square cutting exercise requires a good three and one half hands to accomplish with out injury and neatness LOL

So, that's this weekends little project sorted and lined up LOL, though mine will be a little larger as I'll be using it to scribe and mark locos sides in brass so probably 10-12" long and 8-10" wide, so do not be offended if I plagarize your design:thumbs: The critical bit will be finding a piece of wood thats flat and firm enough, especially for my proposed enlarged one.

Keep the pictures coming, always more to learn :thumbs:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
I so want one of those cutting jigs! My current square cutting exercise requires a good three and one half hands to accomplish with out injury and neatness LOL

So, that's this weekends little project sorted and lined up LOL, though mine will be a little larger as I'll be using it to scribe and mark locos sides in brass so probably 10-12" long and 8-10" wide, so do not be offended if I plagarize your design:thumbs: The critical bit will be finding a piece of wood thats flat and firm enough, especially for my proposed enlarged one.

Post a thread with some pics of your cutting jig when you do it please Mick:):thumbs:

Overseer

Western Thunderer
I am pleased the square cutting jig is of interest. I don't think it was my idea but can't remember where the idea came from. The first one I made in the late 1980s was larger and made from two aluminium 300mm rulers. I didn't mention the card packing pieces, not vital, but hold the plastic sheet up close to the straight edge and reduce the chance of the blade straying from the straight edge.

Simon De Souza's articles are well worth reading. He has made quite a few very nice models in styrene. Never managed to convince him that 7mm is easier to work in than 4mm though.

Overseer

Western Thunderer
I thought a close up of the wood grain texture made by dragging the course emery paper might be of interest.
IMG_7258 c texture.jpg
The wooliness brushes off. It is just enough to show through the paint to give the impression of an unpainted timber surface, starting to open up but not rotten or about to fail.

And on to Step 10: Assemble the body. Use the large file to dress the cut ends square, it is not critical to be perfectly accurate as the corners will be hidden later. As seen recently on WT there are some fancy devices for holding corners together while applying solvent. I have never had a problem just holding a side and an end against a square. There is time to adjust the joint so take your time and try to keep your fingers away from the area being joined to avoid fingerprints.
IMG_7257 c square.jpg

Repeat with the other side and end, making sure you have them the right way up and the same hand as the first one. Then put to one side for a few minutes to harden up a bit.
IMG_7256 c square.jpg

After dry fitting to check the sides/ends match the floor hold in place and apply solvent. In this case I started at the end as the bottom of the floor is level with the bottom of the end, then kept the distance from the floor to the bottom of the side constant (the curb rail (bottom part of the side) usually overlaps the solebar). Again there is time to make adjustments and if it isn't quite right apply more solvent and push the pieces around until it is.
IMG_7260 c base.jpg
IMG_7261 c box.jpg
IMG_7262 c box.jpg
IMG_7263 c base.jpg
Then put to one side for a while to harden up. The time needed is not critical, the longer it is left the stronger the joints will be. An hour will be plenty.

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
I love the way you make it look so easy - as only the really competent can.

I must admit I've always found metal and a hot soldering iron much more to my taste - and more forgiving too.

Richard

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
Absolutely fantastic thread. Like many things and other members I have lots of scratch builds floating around in my head and when the time comes your thread will be my first port of call :thumbs: With this and John Hayes' book I have more than enough info to get cracking and I'm over the moon that the time period you model is the same as my own :) I'm really looking forward to the next instalment post and to see how the wagon comes together,

ATB Mick

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Not sure if you can see it in the photos above but I didn't get the corners perfect. The first joints made stuck out a fraction of a millimetre and the others were a bit hollow where I hadn't filed the end quite square. This is not a problem. If the end protrudes past the side (or the other way round) just use the large file and gently file it back, being careful to keep the file parallel with the side but not marking the surface of the side too much. If there is a hollow, stick on a strip of thin styrene then file back to the surface after the solvent has evaporated. The strip can be seen at the right hand end in the photo below, before it has been filed back.

Also visible in the photo are small slivers of styrene stuck in the plank grooves where the corner plates are to be. These will also be filed flush with the surface and provide a smooth surface for the thin corner plates which otherwise tend to sink into the grooves.
IMG_7264 c base.jpg

The photo also shows that a strip has been added to represent the width of the curb rails. In this case they are 2mm wide strips from Evergreen, but the size will depend on the prototype. I only had some strip that was too thick so it will be filed back to the correct dimension once the joints have hardened.

And the other way up.
IMG_7266 c box.jpg

While waiting for the body to harden up, make the headstocks and solebars. They can either be cut from sheet, which is not that easy to get accurate with thick sheet but is possible. It is best to cut oversize and file back to size. Or, if the right size is available, the simple option is to use Evergreen strip. In this case the headstocks were 11 inches and the solebars were 10 1/2 inches high so I used 6.3 x 2mm strip and filed it down a fraction. Evergreen don't make 7mm scale specific sizes but lots of their standard sizes are useful and because HO is half 7mm scale quite a few of the HO specific sizes will match inch sizes exactly in O. I didn't have the right thickness for the headstocks so laminated some 20 thou (it actually measured 0.6mm) sheet on the back. If this wagon had its original headstocks they would have had the characteristic scalloped bottom corners, but they had evidently been replaced so the corners stayed square. A little work with a round file would make the LNWR type.
IMG_7267 c base.jpg
The photo also shows how the corners have been cleaned up with the large file. I should mention that the file being used is fairly fine (it is a Millsaw Bastard) and sharp. I keep a lookout for new old stock files as the quality of recently made files is often not as good as it should be.

Holes were drilled for the buffer locations and coupling hook slot before fixing the headstocks in place. The solebars were then fitted in between, hard against the curb rails. It is worth checking that the distance between the solebars is enough for the planned W irons. I haven't added the inner timbers in the underframe yet as they will be added after the etched underframe from Exactoscale.

Cut a strip, usually of 5 thou styrene (only readily available from Evergreen), the width of the corner plates and cut it to length to suit the wagon.
IMG_7269 c corners.jpg

To mark styrene sheet before cutting strips I use the vernier callipers locked to the width required then use the scalpel to mark both ends. Use the calliper jaws to feel the edge of the sheet then hold the blade against the other jaw. Fairly cheap callipers are fine to use and it is better not to have dial or digital readouts getting in the way. I then use a 12 inch steel rule and cut on the cutting mat. A bit of practice helps to cut straight and parallel.
IMG_7285 c mark.jpg

After cutting strips to match the prototype they are cut into pieces and applied to the body. For this wagon the vertical washer plates either side of the door are 1.2mm wide strips of 5 thou while the diagonal straps are 1.2mm wide strips of 10 thou (0.25mm). 5 thou would be more common for the diagonal straps as well but it seems that the LNWR used thicker strapping than other wagon builders. The square is used to make sure verticals are vertical.
IMG_7271 c strap.jpg

The hinge straps usually taper, thicker at the bottom to thin at the top, so a strip 1.4mm wide was cut from 20 thou sheet then filed to taper before being applied to the body. A light scrape with the edge of the scalpel blade takes the corners off and produce the characteristic forged shape of the hinge straps.
IMG_7272 c hinge.jpg

The end verticals were filed from some suitably sized Evergreen strip, I had some about the right width but too thin so laminated it together before filing. For one end I filed the verticals to the original LNWR profile but for the other I copied the more utilitarian shape shown in the later photographs.
IMG_7274 c ends.jpg

So after cutting up a few more bits of styrene sheet and sticking them on you get to this -
IMG_7277 c side.jpg
IMG_7281 c body.jpg

I didn't mention the inside knees just about visible in the last photo. They are similar to the hinge straps but thicker. They were made from 30 thou sheet cut to width and filed to the required taper. Not much more detail to add to the interior as the LNWR seem not to have used strap washer plates and the coach bolt heads would barely be visible.

To get to this stage has taken 5 hours working time. There are a few more bits of strapping to add before starting to add the nuts. And the underframe, I have an Exactoscale etched nickel silver 9' 9" underframe for this wagon, which includes the brake gear.

D G Williams

Thanks for this excellent thread.
I like the idea of using the vernier calliper for marking out. It brought on one of those ‘why didn’t I think of that moments’! I simply had to dash off to workshop to try it out. And, of course, you can set the calliper exactly to the scale dimension, which is much easier than using a ruler. Wonderful!
One thing you left out of your tools list was some form of magnification – but perhaps your eyesight is better than mine!
David.

Overseer

Western Thunderer
I am glad this thread is of interest to people. I hope to see lots of interesting scratchbuilt wagons shown on WT in the near future. While I enjoy building kits it is more satisfying to build from scratch. All you need is a drawing and a photograph or two, plus a bit of planning to work out the best way of putting the wagon you want to build together and then get started. The first attempt may not be a masterpiece but a little practice makes a big difference.

I hadn't thought about magnification. I am short sighted so take my glasses off to do this sort of work. I enjoy not having a lens between my eyes and what I am doing for a change. But use whatever type of magnification suits you.

There will not be much modelling time for the next week so finishing the body will have to wait for a bit. I find adding the nuts and final bits and pieces is better in small doses, an hour now and then is quite therapeutic, more than that gets tedious. Fortunately it is an easy task to put down and pick up again without having to concentrate too much.

But for the people who can't wait to finish their wagons I started on this one to show what I do. First, cut a narrow strip of 0.25mm (10 thou) styrene the width of the nuts you are representing. Usually there are several different sizes, one for the planks and larger ones for the underframe. Once the strip is cut, use the scalpel to cut squares from the end of the strip. Plenty of light helps to see what you are doing. Cut plenty as some will ping off into space, some will be too narrow, some will be too wide and some just right. Make a pile on the cutting mat and sort out the not quite right ones. Then, with the wagon body balanced on its side or end, pick up a 'nut' using the point of the scalpel and place it in position on the wagon. Hold it in place with the scalpel and use your other hand to apply a small amount of solvent. It does take practice to work out the amount of pressure to apply without cutting the nut in half. A brand new scalpel blade can be too sharp (it will cut through with hardly any pressure) but if you use the same blade from the beginning it will be just blunt enough for this task by now.
IMG_7290 c nuts.jpg

And repeat until it looks something like this.
IMG_7296 c corner.jpg

It is important to look at photos of the prototype to work out the spacing for the nuts and how they relate to the planks. The photo also shows I have filed the corners to represent the folded iron corner plate. The radius used varied widely between builders.

If nuts end up in the wrong place or the wrong size it is an easy matter to slice them off with the scalpel and apply some new ones. And if things aren't going to plan put it to one side and try another time.

Next time - finishing the detailing and then getting it running.

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Wow , im finding this thread very interesting as i scratchbuild quite a bit these days. :thumbs: Although your scratchbuilding Mr Overseer puts mine to shame:oops:

I will look forward to the next installment.:D

Rob:)

AJC

Western Thunderer
Nice clean work there; this individually applied bolthead lark must be rather easier in 7mm; it can be a right pain in 4mm. That said, there is less and less need to do this in that scale given the vast number of kits that are available for even quite obscure wagon types. Of course, producing something no one else has is part of the fun to some extent.

Adam

Jon Gwinnett

Western Thunderer
Lovely work, my only foray into 7mm scratch building was an LMS dia 1666 open, rather than scribing planks I used evergreen strip of appropriate ( though maybe not to thousands of a mil) sizes around a core, memory suggests the core was 30thou to give a correct overall plank width once the strip was added either side. The three ply construction helped avoid warping. I may be able to find a pic if anyone is interested.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Lovely work, my only foray into 7mm scratch building was an LMS dia 1666 open, rather than scribing planks I used evergreen strip of appropriate ( though maybe not to thousands of a mil) sizes around a core, memory suggests the core was 30thou to give a correct overall plank width once the strip was added either side. The three ply construction helped avoid warping. I may be able to find a pic if anyone is interested.
Yes please.