Scale 7 Spring Meeting

Tim Humphreys ex Mudhen

Western Thunderer
Thanks to everyone envolved in assisting in any way and all those who came along today to see what we're up to in the East of England. There were about 60 of us in attendance and speaking personally I had a great day meeting you all, chatting and even playlng trains for a little of the time. I hate to pick out out any one item on a day like this but the Class 4 Tank brought along by Steve b, as documented on WT, was really outstanding.
Back to normal tomorrow with an S7 Committee meeting.
atb
Tim

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
I'm tempted to give up after seeing the Std 4!

As someone who's not shy of a real engine, the way that the smoke came out of the chimney, which does have a certain look to it, even appeared genuine. An amazing piece of work!

JB. ex-loco builder...

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Thanks to everyone envolved in assisting in any way and all those who came along today to see what we're up to in the East of England. There were about 60 of us in attendance and speaking personally I had a great day meeting you all, chatting and even playlng trains for a little of the time. I hate to pick out out any one item on a day like this but the Class 4 Tank brought along by Steve b, as documented on WT, was really outstanding.
Back to normal tomorrow with an S7 Committee meeting.
atb
Tim

Yep, a great day Tim and many thanks to you and John B. for taking on and organising the annual Spring meeting for the S7 Group.
Looking forward to next year.

With regards loco building Steve B's standard tank is the way forward.

Col.

SteveB

Western Thunderer
I really appreciate your comments. Thank you. I had a great time, it was a shame that I could only stay for the morning. It’s always a bit traumatic when you walk into a group where you don’t know anyone, but everyone seems to know each other, but I was made to feel very welcome indeed and I met quite a few WT’s. It’s always nice to put a face to a ‘username’.

I was pleased with how the std4 tank performed, but the best bit was seeing it working in such a great setting, and pulling some coaches for the first time. Thanks to the Love Lane team for allowing it to have a play and in particular to John who mastered all the function keys so well.

Regards

Steve

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
What a grand day it was! Good to meet, chat and share funny stories with so many nice folk.

My only regrets are that I didn't get to say hello to everyone, observe how the layout performed or witness the guest locos and rolling stock, and silly me; I completely forgot to take any photographs!

Maybe I should add an apology to JB as well. If I had thought to bring the original red loco and the rest of the ride-on railway, little Freddie might have wanted to stay even longer?!

A huge thank you again to Tim, John and Janet (I somehow missed out on the cake too!)

Pete.

Oz7mm

Western Thunderer
Plenty of cake here for Wednesday Pete. I need some to bribe you all to put Love Lane back together.

John

daifly

Western Thunderer
I'm more than a little disappointed to have missed the meet. I've been on Grandfather duties since Friday (which has its own rewards!). Once next year's date is listed, it will be blocked off!
Dave

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
It was a great day. I only managed to take a couple of pictures (of buildings) when it was over. Did anyone get any pictures they can post up? particularly the std4 running through the bridge. The smoke was stunning.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
There should always be a little smoke, it's the only thing that's put me off smoke units in the past, but this engine has challenged that, it did look very good. Unfortunately with opening smokebox doors there's no chance of me putting smoke units in now..

Unfortunately I didn't clearly get to see the safety valves working.

JB.

SteveB

Western Thunderer
Unfortunately with opening smokebox doors there's no chance of me putting smoke units in now..

Hi JB

Well actually I think you could. Did you see my YouTube video posted in ‘Resources, Model Smoke & Steam’ a couple of months ago? Here’s another link in case you missed it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJJj0xUOApM

The steam generator for the cylinder drains is right up by the safety valves. The steam is pushed through a couple of plastic tubes to come out at the front of the loco. I don’t see any reason why this couldn’t be routed to the bottom of the blast pipe. The fan could still be synchronised to the sound decoder so it would ‘chuff’. You could even have the blower turned on when the smokebox door was open. Now that would look impressive. Fancy having a go?

Regards

Steve

Wagonman

Western Thunderer
Hi JB

Well actually I think you could. Did you see my YouTube video posted in ‘Resources, Model Smoke & Steam’ a couple of months ago? Here’s another link in case you missed it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJJj0xUOApM

The steam generator for the cylinder drains is right up by the safety valves. The steam is pushed through a couple of plastic tubes to come out at the front of the loco. I don’t see any reason why this couldn’t be routed to the bottom of the blast pipe. The fan could still be synchronised to the sound decoder so it would ‘chuff’. You could even have the blower turned on when the smokebox door was open. Now that would look impressive. Fancy having a go?

Regards

Steve

Oh wow! Safety valves and drain cocks... Impressive!

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Oh you're tempting me now..

I do have a question, how did you link the smoke to the sound of the safety valves so accurately?

JB.

SteveB

Western Thunderer
I'm using a Zimo decoder, so I just link the SV sound file using CV300 procedures, to the Function key that operates the SV fan. Theres another Function key that operates the heater for the SV and this has to be put on around 10 seconds before firing up the fan. When finished you have to remember to turn both off!

Regards

Steve

Boyblunder

Western Thunderer
I'm using a Zimo decoder, so I just link the SV sound file using CV300 procedures, to the Function key that operates the SV fan. Theres another Function key that operates the heater for the SV and this has to be put on around 10 seconds before firing up the fan. When finished you have to remember to turn both off!

Regards

Steve
I've been looking for a post on a forum from some months ago that I think showed pictures of how you had modified the smoke unit to take up less space etc. but I can't find it. Was I dreaming and if not can the article still be viewed somewhere? p.s. your loco was the highlight if the day for me, with the cakes and excellent plowman's lunch a close 2nd.