Roxey models 0 gauge Austerity

markjj

Western Thunderer
Has anyone built the JLTRT WD tender and can compare it with this one please?
Heather Kay built one on here some time ago I'm sure it mentions a few issues with it.

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
Has anyone built the JLTRT WD tender and can compare it with this one please?

I'm back home and have access to the photos I took when building a couple of JLTRT WDs. I built 2, one in fine standard 0 for JLTRT and one for myself to S7 standards. I was commissioned to upgrade the kit, mostly new slidebars and motion parts, as the originals were 'difficult' to get to work without a fair bit of fiddling. There were some dimension problems too! Unfortunately not long after completing the 0 Gauge engine JLTRT went belly up. Laurie Lynch took over the rights as MM1 but only produced one batch before his catastrophic accident. Of the 3 kits, I know off, the JLTRT kit is the most accurate and provided alternative parts for the many variations of the original.

These photos are of the 0 gauge model which was built 'straight from the box' with no refining done as the intention was to show what could be built from the kit. Note that there are still bits to add, notably the internal ribs in the coal space, and very little cleaning has been done.

Ian.

2017-05-09 09.10.24 (2).jpg2017-05-09 09.11.05 (2).jpg2017-03-31 14.26.15 (2).jpg2017-05-09 09.10.38 (2).jpg

sagaguy

Western Thunderer
Sods law dictates that one 12 ba thread is going to strip in thin metal so i had to go back to fitting a 12 ba nut and washer and soldering the screw at the back and cutting the head off the screw.After polishing,the rods do look good .I filled the top and bottom faces of the rods with !45 solder and filed and polished to look like solid steel.

Ray

sagaguy

Western Thunderer
Carrying on with sods law,after checking the frame sides for left and right and marking the inside with a marking pen,who managed to solder the drag box assembly on the wrong side?, necessitating heating the frame,desoldering,cleaning and starting again..
Ray