Rosehearty - GNSR New Aberdour Branch

John Duffy

Western Thunderer
At the outbreak of World War I the Scottish drifter fleet approached 1000 boats, landing and curing over 2 million barrels of herring. The big advantage of the steam drifters were the powered net hauls and the ability to return to port quickly. By the end of WW2 the herring fleet was just about gone, with declining stocks and a general preference for white fish. The need for ever larger boats saw the fleet concentrated in fewer, larger ports like Fraserburgh and Peterhead. The latter, today lands more fish that all of the other UK ports combined.

Unfortunately of course, none of it now goes by rail.

John

John Duffy

Western Thunderer
I had my camera out today to catch "Bahamas" on the Edinburgh to Aberdeen special and found a load of images on the hard-drive that I didn't know were there. It shows how much the iPhone has replaced a full sized camera. But here are a couple of shots that may be new of Rosehearty.

I have tried to mimic the look of some early colour film suitable for the late 1940's era.

P1015873.JPG

P1015996.JPG

P1016027.JPG

P1016019.JPG

P1016032.JPG

John

John Duffy

Western Thunderer
Working the pick-up goods at Rosehearty;

Quite the stranger here on the Buchan coast!
IMG_8673.jpeg

The R Class clears the Facing Point Lock.
IMG_8681.jpeg

Sorting out the incoming wagons before setting them.
IMG_8679.jpeg

Ready for the off to Fraserburgh. Short straw today, 3 fish vans and a cattle van. Hopefully the wind is blowing the other way!
IMG_8674.jpeg

John

Last edited:

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Not sure if I have said this before John but the track is very realistic, I do like the interlaced sleepering, so typical of the Great North.
Also as you say the R class is a long way from the "stubbies"!
Yes the smell must have been "fresh"!
Cheers
Julian

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Hi John
I wonder when you go to your railway room and look at the layout do you here the sound of the sea and gulls? Very David and Shirley Rowe style. The photo gives that impression, lovely to escape the pressures of the World.
Not sure if I have asked before but did you scratch build the R class loco? I am sure there was an article in an old Model Railways magazine in which Vic Smeed (?) rebuilt and painted a model in GNS livery, lovely model.
Thanks for sharing
Julian

John Duffy

Western Thunderer
Hi John
I wonder when you go to your railway room and look at the layout do you here the sound of the sea and gulls? Very David and Shirley Rowe style. The photo gives that impression, lovely to escape the pressures of the World.
Not sure if I have asked before but did you scratch build the R class loco? I am sure there was an article in an old Model Railways magazine in which Vic Smeed (?) rebuilt and painted a model in GNS livery, lovely model.
Thanks for sharing
Julian
Absolutely Julian, it is my escape from reality.

The R class is the old SM Models kit now available from Ace Products. I actually started it with the intention of putting it into Pickersgill green but could never find out what colour the bunker tops were painted. I ended up painting it LNER black to fit the article that was in MRJ and so it has remained.

With my increasing levels of pre-grouping stock I am currently considering a change to the back story of the layout. This would allow me to run both GNSR and Caledonian stock without the need to alter the physical layout. A move down the east coast of Scotland and a freelanced "might have been" could facilitate the two separate eras on the one layout, so you never know the R class might just turn up in green someday.

I really appreciate the feedback and thank you all for your encouragement.

John

John Duffy

Western Thunderer
Train on.

The staff at the station open the gates by hand and operate the signals.IMG_8803.jpeg

This gives the photographer just enough time to get along the line and into position.

Here a service from Fraserburgh passes the yard entrance with its ground frame.IMG_8807.jpeg

IMG_8810.jpeg

Station stop, before heading to the terminus at New Aberdour.
IMG_8819.jpeg

After the burst of activity, the whole scene returns to its quiet country life.
IMG_8797.jpeg

John

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Hmm John...is that Welsh wagon a refugee from the earlier days of good old steam coal for the Navy?
Lovely photos.
Cheers
Julian

John Duffy

Western Thunderer
Part 2

On its return along the branch the pick-up goods enters Rosehearty.
IMG_9065.jpeg

IMG_9067.jpeg

Then heads to the groundframe.

IMG_9069.jpeg

IMG_9070.jpeg

IMG_9072.jpeg

The shunting then deals with the setting out and picking up.

IMG_9074.jpeg

There is normally a spare fish van kept at Rosehearty and extras are dropped off as required.

IMG_9075.jpeg

Shunting completed the outgoing wagons rejoin the train, the groundframe is re locked and the service continues on its way to Fraserburgh.

IMG_9080.jpeg

IMG_9083.jpeg

There then descends the quite calm over the station and the branch line returns to its normal hush.

John

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
I can imagine standing at the front, John, just watching the shunting being performed, as if at an exhibition with these lovely photos. Enjoying the 3 link coupling take up.
What gets me is the fact that the layout is quite a subtle formation yet the length gives the impression of a much larger layout. May I ask how long this is? Not sure if anyone has asked but do you have a plan of the layout.
As others have said less is more and I will always enjoy seeing this layout.
Thanks again for posting
Julian

John Duffy

Western Thunderer
The yard at Rosehearty is extremely busy which means either there has been a delivery of something like fertiliser for the local farmers or I am finally getting things off the workbench. (It’s the later)

IMG_9809.jpeg

Some unfitted vans join the wagon stock.

IMG_9778.jpeg

The photographer must have climbed the trees to get this shot overlooking the station.

(Sorry Julian, I just saw your question. The scenic area is about 28' x 33" and hopefully the photo serves as a plan - thanks again)
John

Last edited:

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
No worries John, lovely shot of whole scene.
Better to spend time modelling than surfing! You have had a very productive 6 months, wagons a plenty.
All the best
Julian