RMWEB Specific Scales

paratom

Western Thunderer
Now I'm happy to be a member of both RMWEB and Western Thunder as I find both sites invaluable when it comes to research but was has perplexed me is 4mm, EM and P4 are not represented in their scale category. I posted on their site if this was because most of the members were out of the box modellers. Nothing wrong with out of the box modelling but maybe RMWEB doesn't want to step on Western Thunder's shoes. Haven't had any replies to my question but maybe someone on here could give an explination.

Attachments

• Scale Specific.JPG
    Scale Specific.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 38

Simon

Flying Squad
The two sites exist happily side by side, they are not connected, and exhibit various differences.

I'm not sure what the value is of comparing each with the other, which you seem to be asking us to do?

It is certainly true that the various recent vicissitudes over on RMweb have led to an increase in the numbers of folk joining WT, for better or for worse.

Viva la difference....

adrian

Flying Squad
Consider RMW as the "dark side" of the Force - 'nuff said...
Not really - I have no problem with mentioning RMWeb, it's not like a "forum that must not be named", in no way do I consider them adversaries it just different horses for courses. We each have a niche to fill and WT isn't for everyone. I suspect there are a few on other fora who consider WT a rather idiosyncratic bucolic backwater, which is fine by me. I just prefer an easy going, let and let live atmosphere, at the end of the day it's just a hobby with toy trains. :thumbs:

adrian

Flying Squad
With respect to the original question I suspect the answer is simply the requirement was never raised, rather than Andy Y avoiding any overlap.

My suspicion is it was simply that with the large majority of postings on RMweb being 4mm scale the other scale enthusiasts asked for a way to filter on their chosen alternative and got their sub-sections setup.

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
With respect to the original question I suspect the answer is simply the requirement was never raised, rather than Andy Y avoiding any overlap.

My suspicion is it was simply that with the large majority of postings on RMweb being 4mm scale the other scale enthusiasts asked for a way to filter on their chosen alternative and got their sub-sections setup.
Agreed. The 'thumbnail' in the OP is not an exhaustive list of scales anyway - N Gauge is missing, as are US & Continental HO scales, for instance.

Neil

Western Thunderer
I post both here and on RMweb (and on a narrow gauge forum) but I try to tailor my posts to the ethos and interests of the different places. There's a very different feel to each of them and I rather like that. It would be a poorer world of they tried to copy each others format.

Ian G

Western Thunderer
I am with you on this RM web needs a specific P4/EM page, I normally dabble in 7mm but building P4 at the moment. Using the Scalefour traders page lots of non working links.

Ian G

Simon

Flying Squad
I post on both too, although I "use" each forum differently.

I must admit, I do wonder about the value of posting near identical threads on both fora, which quite a lot of folk do.

For example the recent 2 part epoxy undoing thread, the same answers received in both places and nothing much to tell them apart.

Simon

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
I'd be happy if the drop down list of scales on ebay was half as good as the one on RMWeb! Those on ebay seem to be mainly continental or American.

Mike
Someone at Ebay fairly recently messed about with the search criteria for model railways and utterly and totally made a complete hash of the whole thing, making it a nightmare to search for stuff these days. They clearly don't have the first clue about how the hobby works. :mad: :headbang:

Flymo748

I am with you on this RM web needs a specific P4/EM page, I normally dabble in 7mm but building P4 at the moment. Using the Scalefour traders page lots of non working links.

Ian G

Hi Ian,

I've just spotted your post from a couple of months ago. As one of the Scalefour Society Forum admins, I haven't seen anything reported by members over there.

Can you give any specific examples, rather than having to plough through each and every of the specific links? I know that Tim Horn Baseboards resolves to holding page, as I was looking recently but as Tim was overwhelmed with orders anyway I expect a website is not top of his priorities.

The Scalefour Society does provide this page as a resource for modellers in general, so we would like to ensure that it is always up to date.

Best,
Paul Willis

Jim smith-wright

Western Thunderer

It was raised, by me, and it was set up by Andy. At least a p4 sub section anyway.
Unfortunately when I left a lot of my stuff was deleted (not by me or at my request) and that was one of the casualties (it wasn't being used much TBH)

Cheers

Jim

simond

Western Thunderer
Not quite sure why we have a thread moaning about the structure of RMweb on WT. Surely an issue to be raised directly with Andy York?

There does also appear to be confusion between scale and gauge. I thought that 00, EM and P4 were all gauges within 4mm scale?

It does seem a bit like complaining to the Porsche* dealer about a problem with one's Ford...

(insert vehicle manufacturer of choice)