Resin locomotive boilers

Clarence3815

Western Thunderer
I`ve seen various resin boilers. Is there anyone here who knows what the resins used are please? And has anyone any direct experience of making masters for the castings please?

Many thanks,

Bernard

Overseer

Western Thunderer
I`ve seen various resin boilers. Is there anyone here who knows what the resins used are please? And has anyone any direct experience of making masters for the castings please?

Many thanks,

Bernard
If they are beige they could be Sika Biresin G26, a good, reliable and stable polyurethane resin.

I haven’t made boiler patterns but have made wagon bodies and other things. Not many tricks with the patterns but choosing the right silicone resin for the mould is important, talk to the suppliers for advice.

Many thanks,

Bernard
Hi I used to sell the stuff maybe 8 years ago but it has a shelf life and generally had to buy, as I remember, 7L of each A and B. RAMPF RAKU-TOOL PF-3700-1 and RAMPF RAKU-TOOL PH-3970-1. This was the stuff that Skytrex used at the time. I used to get it from a company called Amber composites- (they have just changed their name but a google search still brings them up.. I used to sell the RTV silicone for making the moulds. ELASTOSIL® M 4512 and WACKER® CATALYST T 51. I hope that helps. I sorry if it's out of date, but it may be a starting point for you. Somewhere I have written some usage instructions, it you want me to find them I will try. But I will add, some people are allergic to the resin, and everybody should wear mask and gloves, because if you are, you will become sensitised to it, and it will get worse, so don't go there in the first place.

Regards Phil

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
Hello Bernard / all,

IIRC, JLTRT/MM1 used a lead or white metal plug for weight and ground glass as the bulking agent for the polystyrene / polyurethane resin. That was why your drills would wear out when you were drilling for hand rails and if you had to open up the firebox for the motor it was better to use sanding belts to do the job, not metal cutters.

ATB

OzzyO.