Removal of Superglue (Cyano)

Hi Guys :wave:

An embarrising request  :-[

For the first time in many a year I have dropped cyano on some glazing :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

I have some cyano remover - which may or may not remove the cyano without damaging the glazing :scratch: - yet I seem to remember reading somewhere (here?) that there are other methods by which to remove cyano....

If push really comes to shove then I could - with hassle - remove the glazing and replace, yet I would really rather not :D

Thanks in hopeful anticipation of a barrage of replies outlining many different methods for such :thumbs: :))

ATB

CME :wave:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
The only thing I can think to try is 'T' cut or Brasso or some other mild abrasive to polish it out maybe ?  :scratch:

Phill  :wave:

Phill Dyson said:
The only thing I can think to try is 'T' cut or Brasso or some other mild abrasive to polish it out maybe ?  :scratch:

Phill  :wave:

Hi Phill :wave:

Thanks for that I will conduct some tests in the next day or two :thumbs:

Neil

Western Thunderer
I know that hot water will loosen superglue, but I don't know if it'll remove the stuff from glazing. I seem to remember that using superglue near glazing can cause frosting on the surface (hence normal recommendations not to use it fix glazing) which may not be possible to remove. I've had some success in the past of restoring scuffed glazing by varnishing over the top with gloss (Humbrol) and though it's not as clear as the unblemished stuff it's hard to notice it in the context of a layout rather than glass case model. Here's a pic of my Ford dropside where I was unable to polish out the scratches on the windscreen that I'd created by removing the printed windscreen wipers. Thinking the game was lost, and with not much left to loose I varnished the windscreen and was rather pleased with the result.

[attachimg=1]

Attachments

• ford d.jpg
    ford d.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 91
Neil said:
I know that hot water will loosen superglue, but I don't know if it'll remove the stuff from glazing. I seem to remember that using superglue near glazing can cause frosting on the surface (hence normal recommendations not to use it fix glazing) which may not be possible to remove. I've had some success in the past of restoring scuffed glazing by varnishing over the top with gloss (Humbrol) and though it's not as clear as the unblemished stuff it's hard to notice it in the context of a layout rather than glass case model. Here's a pic of my Ford dropside where I was unable to polish out the scratches on the windscreen that I'd created by removing the printed windscreen wipers. Thinking the game was lost, and with not much left to loose I varnished the windscreen and was rather pleased with the result.

[attachimg=1]

Hi Neil :wave:

Thanks for that - much appreciated, it too, is worth a try.

The cyano that I use is resin based and according to the manufacturers wont cause frosting (neither should the odourless types) the usual cautions apply though. It still left a - to me - noticable 'blob' though :headbang: :headbang:

Lovely job on the D Series BTW :drool: :bowdown: :thumbs:.

ATVB

westernfan said:
Hi CME
                try using acetone readily available from chemists  :thumbs:

Hi Westernfan :wave:

Thanks for that.

I think that is what the cyano remover is in effect, acetone (just in the manufacturers own bottle),

Thanks for the advice, guys, v'much appreciated, I will let you know how I get on :thumbs:

S

Simon Dunkley

CME & Bottlewasher said:
I think that is what the cyano remover is in effect, acetone (just in the manufacturers own bottle),
Acetone? On plastic?  :eek:

westernfan

Western Thunderer
Simon Dunkley said:
Acetone? On plastic?  :eek:

when i glazed my o gauge westdale auto trailer i used a bit too much cyno and ended up with frosted over windows i used Starpax household acetone solvent applying it with a cotton bud and it removed the white residue . it worked for me  ;D

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
CME & Bottlewasher said:
Hi Neil ...
Lovely job on the D Series BTW :drool: :bowdown: :thumbs:.
...except it doesn't have any windscreen wipers...... :scratch: ::) ;D

Sorry!! :shit: :)) /gets coat....

Neil

Western Thunderer
Jordan said:

"Erm, yes, erm been meaning to do them for a few years now, really should get round to it you know, erm one day, mood takes, motivation, tangent erm, yes, right erm ........"

westernfan said:

when i glazed my o gauge westdale auto trailer i used a bit too much cyno and ended up with frosted over windows i used Starpax household acetone solvent applying it with a cotton bud and it removed the white residue . it worked for me  ;D

Thanks Westernfan/Guys :wave:

Acetone/Remover was a worry for me, I hope to get to work on it this afternoon - yet life seems to keep getting in the way :))

ATVB

Jordan said:

Hi Jordan :wave:

Your're so cruel :eek: :eek:

I wasnt going to mention that and the lack of door/cab mirrors....perhaps a trip to Truck and Trailer will do the trick?...

......Darn it youve got me at it now too.......I'll get 'me coat ;) :D :))

On a serious note if I do horlicks the glazing I understand that a coat of orginal Kleer will help to restore such :scratch:

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
CME & Bottlewasher said:

You're so cruel :eek: :eek:

I wasn't going to mention that and the lack of door/cab mirrors....perhaps a trip to Truck and Trailer will do the trick?...
Sorry, I tend to notice the details on trucks... ;) or rather, I imagine the horror of trying to drive a real one without the details, such as wipers and mirrors...  :scratch: :eek:  :shit:

Jordan said:
Sorry, I tend to notice the details on trucks... ;) or rather, I imagine the horror of trying to drive a real one without the details, such as wipers and mirrors...  :scratch: :eek:  :shit:

Aha, yes me too - the famliy was into heavy haulage ;) :)) :thumbs:

ATB

Hi all,

Some feedback as promised.

In short I left the cyano on too long before attempting to remove doh!! :headbang: :headbang:

The majority came off with a gentle application with a cocktail stick.....yet a mark/warp started to appear, so the only thing was to hack to old window out and let in -v'carefully - a new window :headbang: ;)

One lives and learns so the motto is be brave and use the cyano remover straight away or else yer done for!!

Off for tea now..

ATB all.