Reading Tomorrow...

S

SteveO

My bad. I've only seen pics of the MMP but I saw a lovely painted and weathered Agonoria one at the show. Looked quite tasty!

Ian G

Western Thunderer
I purchaced a Connoisseur southern G6, Meteor Models 5t Hand crane and match truck, and another Scorpio Models GWR crocodile.

Ian G

S

SteveO

Managed to take a pic of my new coach. Totally the wrong colour, of course, but when I get round to putting in interiors and painting the rest of them I'll see to this at the same time.

In standard Mk1 coaches I now have:
SO
SK
BSK

I need something with first class I assume? Perhaps a comp or comp brake, if they were produced by Tower/Bachmann. I saw an ebay auction for a full first a couple weeks ago but thought that may be too much for my little local train. Have I got it totally wrong by including an open in a short rake?
Steve

S

SteveO

Nobody spotted the deliberate mistake from my post earlier. It was not including this:
IMG_1059.JPG

The EasyBuilds look really nice. My guardian angel over at the GOG stand took me over there, and loads of other stands. Had I not already acquired some of these brass coaches I would all over those like a nasty persistent rash that, no matter how many times you apply cream or visit the doctor it is always there and, just when you thought it had gone it rears up at exactly the moment that is most embarrassing. So, for continuities sake I'll stick with the brass ones for this little rake.
Steve

Susie

Western Thunderer
Hi Everyone,

It's a shame I didn't look at this thread on Friday, then I could have suggested you say, "Hello" to me while I was busy making some S scale coaches on the MRC stand!

Susie

Simon

Flying Squad
Totally the wrong colour, of course....

Do what? They look spot on to me - you can't beat a bit of greenery out of Waterloo:))

Simon

S

SteveO

There's nuffink sarf of the river in my manor, innit! These are heading in a westerly direction, somewhere between Paddington and Prestatyn and pulled by my hero Hymek (when I get round to starting it).

I was trying to find a prototypical example of the 35 pulling BR Suburbans but can't find an example anywhere, so it's been upgraded to hauling standard Mk1s. If I can't sell my suburbans then I'll build a train from them with a secret ingredient, and it'll be a blue secret ingredient!

Really enjoyed the show, only my second one so still wet behind the ears. Took my 02 to the loco clinic and got it spruced up a treat. Runs like a dream now and all for free. Can't beat it. My second mission was to join GOG and I've now got all the paperwork to fill in on my desk. One chap there was an absolute diamond. He took me round stall to stall to show what I need to look out for when beginning, good kits, bad kits, used vs new, clubs, shows, etc. I could not have got a better reception. Amazing. A complete contrast to my 2mm experience!

Browsing the stalls was an eye-opener to see what's available and the prices. I'm starting small and used and working my way up. I can't wait to start building brass wagons - some of them look superb, and the underframe thicknesses look right too. But what I really wanted to find was a track-based rolling road to maintain and test my builds. It's going to be ages until I get that space in the loft (we don't have a loft yet...) so a good long run is not on the cards. No luck there though. Any recommendations?
Steve

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Rolling roads?
Hmm, the best is probably the de Locloods one; my Dad has one and it's a great piece of kit. Dutch made, it used to be available from Dragon Models (give the charming Chris Basten a call and he'll either talk you through it or send you some bumpf if he's still bringing them in)
There's also the Bachrus ones. I've got these and have only one issue. They're designed around US standards for hi-rail (i.e. course scale) so need modification with a large file to be of their best. I'm perfectly happy with mine, but just wonder whether I wouldn't have been better off with a de Locloods one. Mine came from Digitrains.

Hope that helps.

I'm also glad the G0G guys were so helpful. I know that on the whole we try to be...

Steph

S

SteveO

Thanks Phil, they do look very nicely designed. However, with the cost saving, plus the filing and bodging to fit UK O track, I think I'll go for those ebay rollers. I'll not use them much - checking and cleaning, initial running in, DCC programming maybe, that's about it. I saw them on a youtube vid today by chance used by a garden live steam chap. If he uses them to hold all of that weight I'm pretty sure they could cope with my weeny 02, and my plastic bodge-it Hymek later.
Cheers very much for the pointer though!
Steve

Ian G

Western Thunderer
One thing i missed from my purchaces at Reading was an 8 shelf stock box. that was reduced in price.

Ian G

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Just so you have all the info, the Bachrus are ok on Peco track, it's just Track with traditional chairs that cause the problem.

I use mine with Peco and without modification the feet of the rollers sit squarely on the chairs...

Steph

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Thanks Phil, they do look very nicely designed. However, with the cost saving, plus the filing and bodging to fit UK O track, I think I'll go for those ebay rollers. I'll not use them much - checking and cleaning, initial running in, DCC programming maybe, that's about it. I saw them on a youtube vid today by chance used by a garden live steam chap. If he uses them to hold all of that weight I'm pretty sure they could cope with my weeny 02, and my plastic bodge-it Hymek later.
Cheers very much for the pointer though!
Steve
Steve, I have a set of these bought before I got my Hobby Holidays Jig which includes a set. I found with my A3 that the rollers are spaced too far apart so it kept falling off - unless I was doing something wrong I wouldn't recommend them. Indeed I will be putting mine up for sale at some point.