Re: G scale class 20

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
G scale class 20

Phill Dyson said:
We don't just like Blue round here :rolleyes: ..........we tolerate green too :laugh:
Yes very true but MAINLY blue :lol: :thumbs:
Oh by the way if anyone couldnt find any blue aerosol at Telford thats because i stocked up :rolleyes: :lol:

Rob. :wave:

Simon

Flying Squad
G scale class 20

I like blue too...

[attachment=0:1f9slmls]Thomas.jpg[/attachment:1f9slmls]

Poop poop!

Sorry John, the Class 20 is another class act :thumbs:

Attachments

• Thomas.jpg
    Thomas.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Thomas.jpg
    Thomas.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 52

rjr

Western Thunderer
G scale class 20

Sorry guys cant be convinced.. As much as I like blue, and green for that matter, I just fancy a change..

The basic colours are now in place, but will need some rework, in particular the red which is still somewhat transparent.

SDC17445.jpg

Following the yellow, the next colour up was the Railmatch Grey for the sides, which like the yellow was applied from a rattle can in very thin coats "force" dried with a hair drier, then another coat applied until an even coverage was achieved. The grey went on last  night.

This morning the sides were masked a the lighter grey roof was done  (actually primer grey) several proto pictures show the livery as having the same grey on the sides as on the roof, but the picture I am working (see previous post) shows the lighter roof.

Early afternoon the red stripe was added with a brush, the black was also applied by brush, both these colours need a bit of tidying up for depth and edges, but I'm not going to push my luck to far, it really needs a chance to all harden of now.

SDC17447.jpg

SDC17448.jpg

Next job is to work on some "arrows of indecision" for on the sides.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
G scale class 20

Hi John,

really coming together now. Rather than being too 'picky' with the red and black coverage/finish, just apply some roof and frame dirt and that will tone everything down.

regards

Mike

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
G scale class 20

Even for the fact i dont really like the livery, you have done a SUPERB job. Credit where credit's due :bowdown: :bowdown: :thumbs:

Rob :wave:

rjr

Western Thunderer
G scale class 20

Oh its big !!

Thanks for the comments one of the reasons for the livery is the challenge to do something with lots of masking as its not my favourite thing or in fact something I have done much of. The other reason, as it shares its bogies with the 25 it will never be out at the same time, unlike conventional layouts I dont need to match everything together if I only use one at a time.

This evening I have been playing with a logo, I already had a small version for the 25 which I enlarged to the right size. I then inverted the colours so the bit I wanted was white leaving the background grey. Finally I printed it on some white paper, self adhesive labels.

largelogofor20.jpg

These were stuck on and given a coat of satin spray varnish to seal them.

SDC17457.jpg

SDC17456.jpg

SDC17455.jpg

John

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
G scale class 20

Jordan said:
(Pugs looks like he's too young to remember it, which is why he thinks Blue was boring... :shock: :rolleyes: :twisted: )
Pretty much - I remember the last vestiges of blue, but it seemed terribly boring compared to all of the other modern liveries such as the Railfreight triple grey and Network South East, at the time!

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
G scale class 20

Pugsley said:
[quote=""Jordan"":2dxmftzs]
(Pugs looks like he's too young to remember it, which is why he thinks Blue was boring... :shock: :rolleyes: :twisted: )
Pretty much - I remember the last vestiges of blue, but it seemed terribly boring compared to all of the other modern liveries such as the Railfreight triple grey and Network South East, at the time![/quote:2dxmftzs]
It wasn't the colour scheme so much, but the variety of loco's & stock of the earlier era..........even if they were all more or less the same colour :laugh:

Phill :wave:

rjr

Western Thunderer
G scale class 20

Thanks Rob.

When I built my 25, I struggled to come up with a way of cutting plasticard into discs. It had me stumped for days ! and then I came up with a real simple solution... 4pence tooling

Step One

Super glue four 1 pence pieces to a strip of styrene.
IMG00312-20100913-2049.jpg

Step Two

IMG00313-20100913-2108.jpg

Using a blade score straight lines round the penny, then with a pair of pliers snap the surplus off. You need to hold the penny to the card.

Step Three

Dress the edge with a file using the penny as a file guide (yes you may damage the penny !)
IMG00314-20100913-2109.jpg

Step Four

A final tidy with a nail emery board. and the front edge is given a slight rad.
IMG00315-20100913-2111.jpg

Finally

Flip over and solvent weld a tube on the back, this tube has an Outside diameter the same as the Inside diameter of the one the cab
IMG00316-20100913-2113.jpg

Then its a push fit onto the body

IMG00317-20100913-2113.jpg

The inside of the cab has also had a coat of paint to reduce the yellow glow !

rjr

Western Thunderer
G scale class 20

It may not seem like a big job, but it wasn't half fiddly !!

I have applied the orange line round the top, I considered painting it but chickened out. So I stopped off at my local sign makers, and cadged an off cut of orange vinyl tape, its self adhesive and just needed cutting into 1.5mm strips.

SDC17475.jpg

SDC17481.jpg

Note that Pointing Man has turned up too !!!!

John

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
G scale class 20

Hi John,

yet another great model there and one to certainly be proud of.

As far as the lining is concerned, I have been using 'Trim-line' which is self adhesive and really aimed at our aircraft and car cousins. It comes in 8 different widths on one roll about 2.5 metres long for the princely sum of ?2.95 a roll (2009 price) and is available in eight or more colours.

I obtained mine from Blackburn Model Supplies -
http://www.blackburnmodels.com
telephone 01254 265358

Used it for the yellow stripes on the MLV

[attachment=1:2zadj7s3]IMG_1083.JPG[/attachment:2zadj7s3]

[attachment=0:2zadj7s3]IMG_1087-1.JPG[/attachment:2zadj7s3]

regards

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_1083.JPG
    IMG_1083.JPG
    237.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1087-1.JPG
    IMG_1087-1.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1083.JPG
    IMG_1083.JPG
    237.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1087-1.JPG
    IMG_1087-1.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 28

rjr

Western Thunderer
G scale class 20

Very nice coachwork Mike, I know the "trim line" you mean, my Dad is a keen R/C boat modeller and on occasions hands me his cast offs. Its nice and tnin and easy to work with. I just didnt have any orange to hand hence the cadge from the sign makers.

Jordan: You have already answered the question, Pointing man the magician ... pennies disappearing is no problem compared to a class 20 !!!!

No seriously, once I am happy with the shape of the plastic buffer disc its real easy to pop the penny off by just starting a knife blade in-between the penny and the plastic. I only use a small amount of super glue between the two and to be honest it doesn't take that well to dirt pennies

G

Graham Powell

G scale class 20

I'm not into diesels but that is lovely model. Most impressive. I would like to know what you use for plasticard adhesive as I find that Humbrol Poly makes me ill if I try using plasticard in the workshop. I'm sure they old Mek Pak didn't so perhaps they 've changed the formula.
rgds
Graham Powell

rjr

Western Thunderer
G scale class 20

Im using EMA Plastic Weld  available and my local model shop and many others, I believe the principle chemical is Di-Clhorine

http://www.ema-models.co.uk/products/04 ... nt-ml.html

It is water like cold to the touch like acetone and does have a smell so is best if you dont leave the top off for extended periods, not to mention evaporation costs money :)

Slowly adding the details, glazing, wipers, dividers on side windows domino dots bits and bobs under the headcode.

SDC17487.jpg

SDC17485.jpg