4mm Podimore: proper pannier

Phil O

Western Thunderer
AC/DC were a great live band in the '70s, I saw them 3 times in small clubs in Plymouth, when Bon Scott was the vocalist. They lost something when I saw them at the NEC in the '80s with Brian Johnson, still a good concert, but not the same as a venue with 2 or 300 people. The other plus is good beer in a glass.

AJC

Western Thunderer
Never had the pleasure of AC/DC, though in my St John Ambulance days I did see Motörhead a few times at the UEA in Norwich. Lemmy, fresh from an afternoon in the Union bar, usually, was excellent. Not to a younger colleague’s taste though - note that I was in my 20s at this point and this was about 2005 - ‘How will we know when it’s over?’, he asked. T’other colleague: ‘When they play ‘Ace of Spades’.’ We return to our tea. ‘But how will we know when that is?’, he asked. We both looked at him. ‘It’ll be obvious’. And it was. Poor lad, didn’t know what he was missing.

Adam

simond

Western Thunderer
Ha! No, I don’t.

Clubs moved around a bit in those days. The cabin club was at one point The Old Birkonians Rugby club, which went when the land was sold to build houses on what is now the Townfield Lane estate. I remember cycling down there as a kid, all fields, but that’s the way of the world.

I suspect preceding that, the Cabin was upstairs in the old market, I do recall the somewhat adhesive qualities of the floor coverings. I suspect they had little to do with the fire, 1974. I was 16 so underage, don’t recall any issues getting in or getting served.

I don’t recall the date of the Motörhead gig. But can now confirm it was Digby’s. I recall someone throwing up on Lemmy’s foot (to which he said “cheers, pal”). I just went googling to try to establish the location and the culprit recounts the story! Memories of Digby's Club?

I think the building then became the Cabin club, a gym, a kitchen showroom, it’s still there.

Google Maps

It’s right down in “railway land” between the Tunnel, the New Chester Road, the old Woodside main line, the dock line tunnels, the Merseyrail Central station, the Birkenhead joint LMS/GW sheds, and where the corporation gas works was. I wonder what it was built as originally.

large building dead centre here

Explore georeferenced maps - Map images - National Library of Scotland

sorry Adam, I do apologise, this is wildly off topic, and somewhat indelicate, but brings back some memories!

AJC

Western Thunderer
No need to apologise, Simon and everyone, it distracts from the fact that I haven't really done much in the way of tracklaying (I need a couple of hours with a soldering iron to progress things further) and I'm quite interested in the social history of pre-large venue Rock - a world in which Kraftwerk could play the Octagon theatre, Yeovil (which they did, in 1975: Kraftwerk Kraftwerk Yeovil Gig Ticket 1975 '1975 Ticket). In case you're wondering, Motörhead played the same venue a month earlier: Motörhead Setlist at Johnson Hall, Yeovil and, apparently, in April that year, too. By that point, what I'm modelling would have vanished under the '303.

Adam

Rob R

Western Thunderer
The way this thread is going I am surprised no one has mentioned the Drifters.............

WT at it's best.

Rob

AJC

Western Thunderer
The BR trackgang have downed tools for the moment and are looking on askance at what the lads from Roads Reconstruction are up to on their side of the fence, as well they might...

Baseboards_013#.jpg

Baseboards_014.jpg

The hump of the run round loop (it is not, for fairly obvious reasons, intended that anything other than a loco - and only locos with short wheelbases at that - will navigate this bit, well, not regularly, anyway, there will a sternly-worded sign... I anticipate that it may be ignored). The functional sleepers are copperclad and the remainder will be cut from mounting board. Yet another hint at the hand of Iain Rice, that - why bother with functional, and expensive, bits of allsorts when I have lots of suitable card more or less for free? The bullhead rail shortage will be stayed by a delivery of supplies of some very second hand material from south Somerset’s answer to T.W. Ward, Yeovil MRG, later in the week. That's more recycling, it's some of the track from the Mk 2 version of the fiddle yard of 'South Junction'...

Adam

Last edited:

AJC

Western Thunderer
Hi Adam. Just out of interest, what is the difference in height between the top and bottom of the 'hump'?

I’ll have to measure it, but about an inch and a half at one end and about an inch nearest the camera. It’s 1 in 40 up the steep side I remember from the planning phase.

Adam

Gerry Beale

Western Thunderer
I'm quite interested in the social history of pre-large venue Rock - a world in which Kraftwerk could play the Octagon theatre, Yeovil (which they did, in 1975: Kraftwerk Kraftwerk Yeovil Gig Ticket 1975 '1975 Ticket).

Adam

Well that's an interesting distraction which I can identify with. For example when Yes played at the Weymouth Pavilion Ballroom - 16th April 1970 (and I was there!). Or 13th October 1967 when Pink Floyd were there - I wasn't there for that as I was only 15! Also in Weymouth was the Steering Wheel Club which had bands every weekend. On several occasions in 1971/72 Vinegar Joe appeared - one of the best bands of the early 1970s that didn't make it big - even though they were fronted by Elkie Brooks - in her rock-chick days - and the late Robert Palmer.

Happy days - sigh!