Paul Townsend's thread

P

PaulT

Hello,
I have just arrived, trying to find out what this Forum is about!
Attracted by links to some Broad Gauge piccies posted in 2009.

I am an active 4mm modeller and want to ask a private query of a member here but can't see a way of doing PMs which most Fora have.

Reactions: AJC

Railwaymaniac

Western Thunderer
Welcome in!

The model building is excelent in here, the conversation is real cookie, and they we do love piccies of how you are getting on.

Ian

P

PaulT

Here is a pic of Highbridge in P4, modelled over last 32 years and still incomplete.

Highbridge model_Resized for Web_N_thruWalrowBridgeAut_6519.jpg That entitles me to introduce my own facts :p :

My in-planning exhibition model will be set in Dartmouth c. 1880, modelled in Broad and Narrow Gauge, thus proving that Dartmouth station DID have tracks.

P

PaulT

Welcome to the Madhouse.... and given the way a recent thread is going, I mean that most sincerely!! :D

If you find the Member you want to PM, you can click on their username under their avatar and that will bring up a box with "Start a conversation" in it as one of the options. :thumbs:

TVM, that worked.

S

SteveO

Hello and welcome Paul. That's a lovely picture and a very nice looking model you have. Would be interested to see more of it.

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Hi Paul & welcome to the forum :)

Highbridge looks really nice, a very well known location modeled very nicely indeed, I do hope you will do a layout thread with lots of info & pics

Phill :thumbs:

Paul Townsend

Well its only 11 years since I posted here!!!
Highbridge and Dartmouth are still alive and kicking ( as am I..... just ).
I have lurked occasionally but spend most of my forum time on Scaleforum and Broad Gauge Society capers.

I came here again in part to see if I can post a sell item advert. I see I must have 15 posts done, so 13 still to go!
Perhaps I had better do some workbench reports...... :rolleyes:

Reactions: AJC

Tim V

Western Thunderer
Well its only 11 years since I posted here!!!
Highbridge and Dartmouth are still alive and kicking ( as am I..... just ).
I have lurked occasionally but spend most of my forum time on Scaleforum and Broad Gauge Society capers.

I came here again in part to see if I can post a sell item advert. I see I must have 15 posts done, so 13 still to go!
Perhaps I had better do some workbench reports...... :rolleyes:
Yes, perhaps you should! Time for a progress report on Highbridge and Dartmouth ...

Paul Townsend

Here is a brief summary of events for Highbridge since July 2012.
Notes on Dartmouth follow in my next post.

In 2012, Highbridge of 1913 (P4) was in my Victorian pile basement and fully operational. It was never intended for exhibiting as its too large for my small team but is good for playing trains with various chums. Construction had started in early Spring of 1980 . This kept me sane while awaiting completion of the purchase of the run down Victorian pile. At the Easter 1980 MR Exhibition I exhibited just one naked 4' x 2' baseboard with P4 track laid, this was baseboard A and contained the famous track level crossing where S&DJR crossed B&ER. I was delighted to receive an accolade for best trackwork in the show, especially as one of the judges was the late Guy Williams.
Progress on Highbridge lost two years due to mega outbreaks of dry rot in the house and subsequent legal claim against the surveyor. The court case took 10 years to resolve and was a terrific drain on time, money and energy.

A teaching wife, 4 teenagers and a demanding job meant progress was slow but always enjoyable, greatly supported by two loyal friends, Tim and Dave. So we eventually had a working layout, lots of stock, well modelled buildings in the two station areas and cheapo, temporary card buidings around the town. Scenery was/is rudimentary ground cover, not very demanding as we are in the Somerset levels ! Many happy evenings were spent operating, developing a timetable and entertaining friends, while the layout gradually grew towards a finished model.

In October 2015 we downsized ( shut up Tim :p) as our large family were long gone. We moved to an entirely different sort of house and garden. Equity release enabled me to have a luxury shed built down the garden to house Highbridge which had been in storage for 6 months.
While not intended for exhibiting I had had enough foresight to ensure transportable baseboards, none larger tha 4' x 2.5' and properly dowelled joints. The shed is the largest allowed on the site, near 5 x 6 M and gave better access around the outside of the oval shaped layout.
We had a grand re-opening in Summer 2016, celebrated by most members of the Bristol Area Group of the Scalefour Society (aka BS4) with Prosecco, cakes and ale and partners. Lots of operating fun ensued for the pre-Covid years. A number of enhancements were installed including the trackwork for the long overdue wharf area.

Since the start of 2020, attendance by friends has been much reduced as my wife is in the highly vulnerable category so ultra precautions have applied. At Christmas 2020 I was clobbered by deteriorating health unrelated to viruses and was unable to do much modelling for 9 months.
Acquiring a pacemaker in September 2021 got me going again. By the end of 2021 I was able to restart limited visiting by friends and many vaccinations enabled that situation to improve, but I still suffer a lot of dizziness which inhibits some activity.

One current project is to repair various faults caused by excess temperature swings. In the Victorian basement the range was 10 to 25 C degrees. Background heating and a small air conditioner were supposed to match that but equipment failures allowed swings between 1 and 40 C degrees. NS rail and BrookSmith rivets or the dropper wires sometimes part company at those extremes :( I must do better with climate control !

The other in hand development is to instal my MkIII overhead lighting system. In the 1980 and 90s I had suspended QI spots and flood lights but the UV content caused eye irritation to Dave. The advent of LED clones overcame that issue but lighting was dimmer.
In the new shed, I had added many more led spots and floods but have never been satisfied due to too many dim areas and they are hideous!

Experience with 12v led strip lighting on my Dartmouth model has encouraged me to use these over Highbridge. The latest high lumen strips provide enough light and even spread. A trial rig has proved excellent so the final version is in design right now......in between running trains :)

Paul Townsend

Here is a brief summary of events at Dartmouth since its inception.

My model of Dartmouth of 1870s, Broad/Mixed Gauge (P4 derived), was an eye twinkle in 2010 for squeezing a small BG layout into the basement hallway of the old Victorian pile. The concept grew from my involvement with Broad Gauge Society and recognition of no 4mm BG models being exhibited.

The hallway location would have been inconvenient but with a view to exhibiting it to promote interest in the and BG era modelling., a start was made. Up to 2015 the slight progress was devising the track plan and gaining skills in BG modelling, especially for baulk road track.

In 2013 I was given a splendid model of Olton Bridge by Kay Butler. The prototype was a timber design by Brunel for an acute skew crossing to be used near Bromsgrove to carry the double BG Oxford to Brum tracks over a road. But it was never built, the Directors preferring iron over wood. So it was sold to the Totnes & Dartmoth Rly Co ;) . The model was built with BG baulk road many years earlier by the late Mike Jolly, a leading light in BGS and modelling around S. England. It was decided to incorporate that superb model into my version of Dartmouth.

I exhibited a few baseboards including Olton Bridge at Scalefour North in 2014 as an entry to the in the S4 Challenge category ( baseboards no longer than 4' 8 1/2" )

Derek Russan awarded me the prize for best scratchbuilt layout in the show which I accepted as a memorial to Mike.

During 2016-17 building development at the new house enabled provision of a long thin room behind the disused garage to house an enhanced version of Dartmouth.

So finally construction proper started in 2017; its about 8.2M long but only 400mm wide, comprising 10 baseboards, each deliberately small for easy transport by ancient me. It had an outing to Scaleforum in September 2018 as a demo of layout under construction. The embryo model was much commented on and once again Derek gave me his prize and £30 voucher :drool:.

That show carried much drama for me because my booked helper couldn't join me at no notice due to a diary malfunction. Everything travelled in my estate car + roof rack + trailer. Returning home at 21:00 on the Sunday evening a certain idiot deposited a bike on the M4 near Bath which was dismantled by 4 cars, me being the third. Damage to a wheel etc necessitated unloading all the gear on the hard shoulder to access the spare wheel while awaiting rescue, police etc. I don't recommend this even in dry weather! On late return home I found my wife had had a car collision while I was away and was very shaken and slightly bent. Her car was written off.

The permanent home for Dartmouth has eventually allowed most of the planned track to be laid, wired, tested and mostly debugged. The baulk road is built using my custom variant of Brook-Smith rivets on bass wood strips. Turnouts lay on custom plywood laser cut panels. Some track is transverse sleepered and has C&L chairs, now mostly butanoned. All track is awaiting painting and ballasting.

Chris Challis invited me to exhibit Dartmouth at RailWells in August 2022 which I was working towards. However the dizziness problem forced me to withdraw around May, a great disappointment to my team but I felt I had to give Chris adequate notice to find substitutes.

Tim has worked for ages on an early BG loco "Pyracmon" of around 1846. It is a trial of a resin body ( and chassis !! ) 3D printed on commission by another BGS member. Unfortunately the developers didn't bother to ask what the clearance between splashers should be so vast amount of scraping has clobbered Tim. A running trial is imminent. Watch this space.

Last edited: