4mm Parkend Marsh Sidings in P4

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
I'm not quite sure how I've missed this fabulous layout, but I've just spent a most enjoyable hour or so catching up! I would love to be able to head down to Bath at that weekend and see the Sidings for real, but alas.....

Scenes like this are so evocative of the quiet backwaters nearing the end of their working lives. The scenic treatment is absolutely stunning. I keep coming back to the trackwork, it is quite simply so believable in its treatment - the way it's laid and ballasted, of course, but also the growth of grass as well, as if the weedkiller train ought to be along soon but probably never will be. And how the head-shunt just disappears into the undergrowth.

Am I right in thinking that the raised platform area is also for coal loading? Did it ever have a tramway?

Anyway, I've run out of superlatives, so before I go through the pics again, I'll just say, "wonderful!"

Cheers,
Mark

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
Am I right in thinking that the raised platform area is also for coal loading? Did it ever have a tramway?
There were actually two raised areas, the large one squarely in view in many photos was the original loading platform, served by various narrow gauge tramways from the various coal mines in that part of the Forest.

Some time, possibly around 100 or so years ago, the tramways disappeared. John or I may be able to look that up in the Wild Swan books on the Severn and Wye, there is probably some information about the subject there.

Latterly, that area was used for stone loading from Whitecliff Quarry, once the Coleford branch had closed in July 1967.

There was another raised area on the other side of the three tracks, which was also used for coal loading. Things had gone fairly quiet on that score by the late 1950s, but new contracts with the Forest of Dean Free Miners in the early 1960s saw a resurgence of coal traffic, by then more typically brought in by lorry for tipping into mineral wagons.

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
Being ever so slightly picky, and in the same vein as I posted Over There (RMweb), but rather more succinctly here...

Needs sheep.;) :thumbs: :cool:
John and I have talked about this. We will no doubt talk about it again at Larkrail this weekend, especially with Rob the Sheep, who is visiting the show.

I am in favour of sheep (both generally and specifically in the context of this layout). I'm not sure what John's general attitude towards the ovine race is, but as regards the layout, a Change of Mind may be called for...

I'm sure I have some 4mm sheep somewhere, not quite ready to go but probably eager enough...

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
There were actually two raised areas, the large one squarely in view in many photos was the original loading platform, served by various narrow gauge tramways from the various coal mines in that part of the Forest.

Some time, possibly around 100 or so years ago, the tramways disappeared. John or I may be able to look that up in the Wild Swan books on the Severn and Wye, there is probably some information about the subject there.

Latterly, that area was used for stone loading from Whitecliff Quarry, once the Coleford branch had closed in July 1967.

There was another raised area on the other side of the three tracks, which was also used for coal loading. Things had gone fairly quiet on that score by the late 1950s, but new contracts with the Forest of Dean Free Miners in the early 1960s saw a resurgence of coal traffic, by then more typically brought in by lorry for tipping into mineral wagons.
Thanks for the extra info, CK, that's fascinating! I did have the first three WS books on the Severn & Wye, but sold them years ago, and knew that small tramways were quite common in the Forest for coal and stone carriage.

The scenery is entirely the talented and expert work of John ('Charon' on here, Re6/6 on RMWeb), who owns the layout and in who's shed we were playing trains yesterday.
I'd love to create something like this but space is the eternal problem, of course, plus I change my ideas so often that I end up mired and get nowhere!

Cheers,
Mark

Charon

"I'm sure I have some 4mm sheep somewhere, not quite ready to go but probably eager enough..."

CK, If you can find them bring 'em along! I'm now more than happy to entertain some ovine additions!

"I was planning that they would be accompanied by some 1920s sheep (John permitting)."

Ian, permission granted!

Simon H

Looking through the photos, I realise that I've already got several suitable locos for the Forest of Dean, albeit in N.
No, I don't need yet another project!
Well, perhaps just a little one...
Looking forward to seeing Parkend on Saturday,
Simon.