7mm On Heather's Workbench - another Broad Gauge journey

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
  1. Take one man size Kleenex and delaminate it. One tissue is just about the right size for these coaches.
  2. Spraymount liberally on one side. Other aerosol adhesives are available.
  3. Lay the sheet carefully on the brass, stretching it gently and avoiding creases and the hatched bit where the factory bonds the laminations.
  4. Use a stiff bristle brush to tamp the sheet onto the roof, carefully running a thumbnail along the rainstrips to push the paper in.
  5. Trim the sheet roughly to size and wrap it under the sides and ends.
  6. Repeat the process with the second lamination.
  7. I used some superglue under the ends to ensure the paper stayed put.
  8. Prime and paint. (I painted straight onto the paper this time, mixing matt black and white enamel to give a slightly grubby finish.)
Simple, really.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
It's been a funny few days at Heather Kay Towers. General health and mood have been at odds with proper work, but I've been fettling away at odd jobs in an effort to get some of the various builds around the bench that bit closer to completion.

The U20 body is in the paint shop. I got a basic coat of self-etch primer sprayed on Friday. Having let it harden over the weekend, I got a got of acrylic primer on this morning, which will also be left to harden for a day or so. It will need a gentle rub down as one or two grollies inevitably found their way onto the surface as I sprayed it. With luck, though, a coat of cream will be applied this week.

image.jpg

Meanwhile, the underframe has seen some chemical action. I will brush paint the underframe, with possibly a light dusting from the airbrush later.

I forgot to order the first class armrests last week. I remembered today. I said it's been a funny few days.

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
Hello Heather,

depending on the colour of your etch primer you should not need another coat of primer acrylic or otherwise. You can get etch primer in a number of colours including white, black, grey (light and dark), red and a lot more.

OzzyO.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Hi Heather, what has happened to your BR M1 coach have you finished it?

Ah, yes. Um, that. Yes, well, um…

It's been lurking on the bench for too long. I keep looking at it, wondering what to do with it. I think I ought to drag it back to the front of the bench soon.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Any chance of you bringing it to Telford?

Nope. ;)

I have a list of things to take to Telford, but I'm trying to keep it to the minimum required. I am likely to be coming home with more boxes than I go with, due to clients handing over their commissions to me - and buying new stuff!

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
image.jpg

Adding the first class armrests and seat dividers. Somewhat surprisingly, the moulded parts need some fettling to fit the seat back and cushion profile. I found it better to glue the bike saddle armrest to the divider, and once it had all set to fettle for fit then glue to the seat. Once set, again, I sanded off the outer arms flush.

I now need to fit the outer rests on the second class seats, and these will be good for a coat of paint or two.

I was considering methods of simulating the buttons, and wondered if drilling holes in the right pattern and then scribing the material creases might do. Then I remembered just how many holes would be needed, and felt that it would drive me insane before one seat was completed. So, sadly, no button details for this build.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Okay, time for the hive mind of WT to come to my aid.

Seat colours. Now, having read all I can about the period (late 1880s) I believe first class seats were upholstered in red Morocco leather, second class in a dark blue rep (possibly with a floral pattern). New build first class for the narrow gauge apparently was upholstered in crimson fabric of some kind. For the third I built last time, I think the seats were painted to match a brown fabric, or was it green? Ah, memory! How you fail me!

So, bearing in mind I'm not adding button details, I don't plan on reproducing a floral pattern either! Does the team think a deep maroon for first class and a deep navy blue for second would be adequate?

warren haywood

Western Thunderer
It depends if you want them to be visible, maroon and navy will look almost black in the murk, unless you are fitting lighting. Maybe a red and a mid blue may be better. It's all about fooling the veiwer

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Hi Heather.

Once you are confident of the colour (!) I remember discussing the seat detailing with someone many years ago. Their answer (and I saw photos to prove it worked) was to create a stencil and spray through it. Certainly this can create patterned seating. Whether it can create buttons and associated creases is another issue!

Brian

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Interesting idea.

Based on the only photo I've ever seen of a BG coach full width compartment seat, I make that roughly 140 buttons on the back cushions, and probably a similar number in the seat cushions.

On reflection, I reckon I'd be better off not worrying about it!

I slapped some paint around to gauge effect.

image.jpg

From average viewing distance, there's not a lot to see.

image.jpg

Close up, here's first class. I think this shade is a bit too crimson, so I will recoat with something a mite darker.

image.jpg

Here's second, with the paint still wet! Again, it looks a bit bright and I may choose a darker shade for recoating.

Last edited:

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Heather, if you are going to re-coat the seat upholstery then you may wish to consider how the prototype lighting might have affected the perceived colour. As for interior panelling to the sides, we did talk about that issue for the previous carriage and concluded that (a) stopping the light from holes / joins was desirable and (b) a light colour for the upper panelling brightens the general tone inside the compartment (as does a representation of lincrusta for the ceiling).

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Just thinking... what are you going to do for the colour of the interior of the luggage area? If we are talking Dean's stock for the narrow gauge, circa 1890s, then I would use a light colour of scumble.... I have no idea as to the broad gauge stock so please let us all know.