Old school for older users

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Not a contentious comment, merely an admission that I am a rubbish painter and unable to progress with modern technolog.

Despite both sons being excellent modellers (military,aircraft) with 3d printers etc. I plod along with the tools that my late father would have used.

I gaze at Edward the unused compressor with the nicely boxed Iwata airbrush and still promise that one day I will use them, then I reach for the stone mason jar that is home to the brush collection and crack on with the weathering.

The only concession is the use of acrylics, thanks to becoming sensitised to volatiles, otherwise it is still business as usual with the Winsor &Newton Cotman 666 10mm flat that seems to be the go-to for everything these days. Unfortunately they are no longer £3.75, I just bought another two for £8.00 each which will last about a year at most despite scrupulous care, anyone with suggestions for better care other than a gentle wash in warm water immediately after use?

Sorry but I forgot that I do use Halfords rattlecans, outdoors under the carport, wearing a mask but only when it is really warm for large coverage otherwise it is still as above, simple brushwork.

96CFDDF1-B4BA-4D32-97B6-226F6CAF8288.png
99912A6A-90DC-479A-8FEF-F0B91902396F.jpeg
Tim

Last edited:

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
I have just used mine this morning, for about 10 minutes, painting the green bits of two locos.. However I spent about 2 hours yesterday masking off the black and red parts done previously. If I could get the same finish with a conventional brush as I can with the airbrush then I would just brush paint and save the masking time.

Ian.

John Bradshaw

Western Thunderer
I find that especially with acrylics I can get perfectly acceptable results brush painting. For doing locomotive bodies and such like I do prefer to airbrush, but brushes still have their place.

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
John,

As mentioned elsewhere, my days of modelling rolling stock finished a couple of years ago, instead I build/create scenery or anything that doesn’t require precision for movement. For those purposes acrylics, watercolours and oils are perfectly suited.

Tim

iak63

Western Thunderer
Nowt wrong with steam manual brushes.
I do have a decent airbrush, somewhere...