Now is the winter of our discontent

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
made glorious summer by the son of Mann.
IMG_1874.JPG

I am very sorry about this blatant plagiarisation of the English bard and I am pretty sure Richard III wasn't moaning about the state of british railways, however. The discontent arose after having purchased the model of Mannin last summer when it ran exactly twice, on the second occasion careering down the rear straight and failing to turn left when it should, the regulator being opened somewhat more than necessary and the slight down grade. Having rescued it and examined the damage some gloom and despondency descended and I realised two things, I am far too old for manually controlled steam locos at ground level and the ability to shut off steam remotely wasn't a luxury. It went to the workshop for dismantling in which state it sat for the last six months while I occasionally looked at it and passed swiftly on to easier things.

Two weeks ago I had had enough so the bits were laid out on the bench. The servo for the regulator was assessed for correct operation, the servo for the reverser was removed, it really only goes around the oval in one direction, and also the movement of the reversing piston valve is very small and quite difficult to accurately set up between for, mid, and rev. I couldn't get it where I felt was optimum. By comparison the models with simplified Walschearts valve gear seem much more amenable. Having got it all working on compressed air it was given a static steam test which went well so further reassembly carried on until the dummy vacuum exhaust pipe saga. At the smokebox end there is a brass casting with a spigot on the rear which is threaded M2, so badly that it was impossible to tighten the securing nut. Spares for theses are not kept by Accucraft so I made a brass confection on the lathe with an 8BA screw silver soldered in to secure it to the smokebox, and whilst it's not exactly as per the prototype, it's just about visible in the pic and when painted black will be largely lost to sight. Today was the loaded test run which it passed with flying colours, hence the spring (summer) sun. It's not perfect, the large diameter driving wheels and particularly easy steam passages give it a turn of speed, a straighter line and a decent load would be interesting but it does convey a sense of the IoM and if the governemnt there decide to spend the necessary money we might well see it running again next year. The model has to return to the workshop for final titivation and despite my gloom last summer the paintwork damage has been quite successfully camouflaged, you can't really see it at a distant glance. A bit of nonsense really which I guess just about falls into the modelling rather than RTR section, please forgive me.

Martin

David Waite

Western Thunderer
Hi Martin
Good to know you have fixed the damage and it’s up and running again.
I to have jobs I should do but keep putting them off for the easier ones or ones that are more important.
Is it possible for you to show some close up photos of the locomotive, and what type of fuel dose it use?
David.

Allen M

Western Thunderer
It's not perfect, the large diameter driving wheels and particularly easy steam passages give it a turn of speed, a
Hi Martin.
I am not familiar with the Accucraft locos but with Mamod and less necessary with Roundhouse is an exhaust restrictor helped stop the F1 speed.
On a Mamod I used a short piece of tube that would slide over the exhaust pipe in the chimney the end of which was crimped to reduce the hole size. When running at low or medium speed the steam escapes unrestricted. When getting to high speed the restrictor slows the flow of steam, backs up the volume and helps keep things in check.
Hope this makes sense.
Regards
Allen

Allen M

Western Thunderer
Hi Marten
Should have said. Another way is to blind drill out a bit of rod to go over the exhaust pipe the a small hole through the top end, If too restricted the open up in small increments until the desired response is found.
Again I hope this makes sense :confused:
Regards
Allen

ceejaydee

Western Thunderer
Hope that you had fun Martin.
On the warmer days it makes me think of outside running and at such times I do miss my simple garden circuit :rolleyes:

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
Thanks very much for the likes and comments, it is much appreciated. Without all the boring bits I have been a bit up and down health wise over the last two years, WT plays a most beneficial role in passing time and maintaining normality, or what passes for it.

Allen
I am aware of exhaust restrictors maintaining back pressure in the cylinders and hence limit speed. The problem here is that the chimney bore is tight to start with and with a chuffer fitted anything further is going to have a bit of a deleterious impact on the burner breathing. This control issue appears to be more so with piston valve locos and less with slide valve engines and additionally I may say without over generalisation the full size ones behave the same way. You don't need more than a whiff of steam and a gentle gradient before it goes horribly wrong if you're not careful.

John
This is just the beginning, I have a L&B Baldwin that needs something similar, as well as some items of rolling stock in the works for a rebuild. One issue I have with Accucraft products is fixings, on locos especially using brass hex head M2 screws to hold everything together. This would be fine if there was some degree of hardness in the brass and the supplied hex drivers fitting the heads decently. They don't and a rounded off head is a swift casualty so I now replace all fixings that can be reasonably disguised by paint or otherwise with 8BA slotted screws allowing use of a screwdriver. The next individual who has to take the things to bits will thank me. Self tapping screws are another anathema to engineers, at least this one.

Chris
I did, thank you, it might not be many days in the year in Scotland but when it does shine nothing is finer.

David
It is gas fired, either a butane/propane mix in the spring and autumn or pure butane in the summer. A couple of pics attached. The scars from last summer are just visible on the front tank side in the first pic but I think I've got away with it no too badly.

Regards
Martin

IMG_1875.JPG

IMG_1877.JPG

Last edited:
Hi There

The idea of the servo being on the reverser piston valve was so that you could drive it on that - having set the regulator previously. Ian Pearse designed many earlier locos in that way. and reverted to it as the R/C fit on the IoM locos was very tight. Not ideal I admit!

As for a chuffer restricting the burner gas flow - no, there's a whacking great hole in the bottom of the smokebox!

Neil, who 'used to be' Trackshack. I may well have fitted the R/C to your loco!

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
Neil
Thanks for your post, it is most interesting. I doubt you had anything much to do with my one, it was advertised as all but new although I have my doubts and I have fitted RC myself. There is sufficient room to get two servos in the RH tank but as you will know the piston valve reverser is particularly sensitive to positioning and I found that there was sufficent play in the linkages for a precise reverser position to be difficult to achieve, in the end I decided it wasn't worth the fiddling about. I spoke to Ian Pearse at Peterborough the other week about this very matter and I came to the conclusion that it is as much driven by manufacturing cost as any engineering considerations, perfectly valid of course especially for inside valve gear prototypes, but rather less than perfect.

Whilst the smokebox isn't airtight there is by no means a whacking great hole in the bottom of it. Combustion air is drawn in at the jet and ideally you want the exhaust gases to depart the loco up the lum rather than through the bottom of the smokebeox. That there is space to enable water to escape, the primary reason, has no bearing on combustion air supply at all.

I have considerable experience of driving full size steam locomotives from Flying Scotsman to the smallest pug and if I stopped any one of them other than in an emergency by putting it into mid gear I would rightly be given a severe dressing down and told to close the regulator, I see no reason to depart from that practice in a model engine.

It's a great shame Trackshack disappeared, it was a good company to deal with, I hope your world is good.
Regards
Martin

Hi Martin, thank you for your reply.

I'd agree almost entirely with what you say, but will say that in practice putting a chuffer in the chimney makes no practical difference to the locos steaming. Ian always used the reversing valve control on his earlier freelance engines,I always fitted a regulator servo somewhere, for exactly the reason you say!

What does make a difference though, is when people see the other small hole next to the burner, the other side to the one that holds it in place, and assume a screw is missing and put one in the hole - it is there for a small amount of secondary air and is pretty much essential. I also agree with your comments about using the reverser, but again would point out that is is usual when manoeuvring a traction engine, which I also have a fair experience in, having rallied two rollers over the years.

I have a fair experience of larger (ish) locos too, up to two foot gauge anyway, having been a driver/guard/responsible officer at Groudle Glen! I have had to give it up after a walking foot injury unfortunately. :-(

I'm afraid Trackshack was done for by Covid, as we just couldn't get stock, and didn't have resources to pay 8 people while we made virtually nothing. John and myself (I was a director) made the decision to close rather than massively reduce to try to weather the storm as he had just lost his wife and I'm not in the best of health myself. Happy days, we enjoyed it while it lasted! If you were a customer, thank you for your trade.

Best regards,

Neil

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
Hi Neil
I'm sorry to hear about the Trackshack situation, however difficult it may have been at the time it was probably the correct one under the circumstances. We are all a product of our experiences which shape our thinking and as you will appreciate mine comes from the standard gauge, it's probably wise not to draw too many parallels with 20th ish scale models. As it is Mannin now works to an acceptable standard and will do, I'll just go and play with it which is I would suggest the intention.
Best wishes
Martin